Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

He’s a great prospect and for sure one to watch.  I would love it if he was in the Canadian program.

However he still hasn’t played a professional match yet.  Both the Canadian and Mexican teams are quite good and he’s not yet good enough to crack either team’s senior roster.

That being said, if I were Herdman I would call him up for the next window and cynically cap him by subbing him in at 85’ to get him in the Canadian program and out of the Mexican program.  He is one to watch and we do need more young rising stars.

He looks like a great young talent but I would be shocked if Mexico is calling up a player who has never played a professional men's game.  Especially considering a top 3 position is far from clinched.

I would be incredibly disappointed if he did commit but it sure would make me feel better with how Mexico views their own program that they have to call up amateur players to their senior squad.  I doubt there will be any non domestic based players called for their friendly with Chile.  And the youngest players called for these past World Cup Qualifiers are 5 years older than Marcelo.

Edited by Corazon

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Wonder if those are his own thoughts.... two days ago he was saying he wanted to wait and see about what the Canada camp was all about. then his dads piece yesterday, now this...

It could be him or his dad's guidance to save face for his comments made the other day.  I honestly believe Mexico would be hitting a new low if they are cynically cap tying a player who has never played a professional minute in meaningful games. 

3 minutes ago, Corazon said:

It could be him or his dad's guidance to save face for his comments made the other day.  I honestly believe Mexico would be hitting a new low if they are cynically cap tying a player who has never played a professional minute in meaningful games. 

The earliest they can do that is January and by all accounts he wants to train with us first before making a decision. I think there is no doubt Mexico will try to cap tie him soon but ultimately it's the player choice. It would be interesting to say the least if one day Flores says he wants to train with Canada but is willing to get cap tied to Mexico two months later. 

41 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Not only this, but after going to battle with the USA for Efrain Alvarez...who plays the same position, but hasn't been called back into it since the cap-tieing moment of being called to the Gold Cup.

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

Not only this, but after going to battle with the USA for Efrain Alvarez...who plays the same position, but hasn't been called back into it since the cap-tieing moment of being called to the Gold Cup.

At some point, the Tomoris, Salis, and Flores(es) of the world need to recognize this.  These national teams are not looking out for their best interest.   They are locking them down one reducing their options in a way that is entirely mercenary.  

The irony is that I have advocated a similar approach in the past - but only because other teams do it. 

29 minutes ago, Shway said:

On top of that, Alvarez has at least played 80 professional games and over 4,300 professional minutes across all competitions.  Yes LA Galaxy is also no Arsenal and yes it is easier for a teen to breakthrough in MLS than the Premier League but still this would equate to a new low.  If he does in fact get called up, then it becomes quite apparent that Mexico strongly fears us as a soccer nation.  I'm sure the players are already feeling it happening now but to show that type of weakness would be unusual for such a perennial powerhouse program.

1 minute ago, Corazon said:

On top of that, Alvarez has at least played 80 professional games and over 4,300 professional minutes across all competitions.  Yes LA Galaxy is also no Arsenal and yes it is easier for a teen to breakthrough in MLS than the Premier League but still this would equate to a new low.  If he does in fact get called up, then it becomes quite apparent that Mexico strongly fears us as a soccer nation.  I'm sure the players are already feeling it happening now but to show that type of weakness would be unusual for such a perennial powerhouse program.

If England can cynically cap tie Tomori, Mexico can do it too.

With Mexico not running away with a group I actually think there is less of a chance they will do it though 

I doubt 

1 hour ago, Tyler55 said:

The earliest they can do that is January and by all accounts he wants to train with us first before making a decision. I think there is no doubt Mexico will try to cap tie him soon but ultimately it's the player choice. It would be interesting to say the least if one day Flores says he wants to train with Canada but is willing to get cap tied to Mexico two months later. 

I doubt he accepts a call from the senior squad yet but a U20 call for sure.

Regardless of what level I’d like to see him don the red colours once just to give some of these Mexican fans a little scare. 

20 minutes ago, narduch said:

If England can cynically cap tie Tomori, Mexico can do it too.

With Mexico not running away with a group I actually think there is less of a chance they will do it though 

Yes, in some ways but also different cynical cap ties

1) Tomori was cap tied at 21/22.  Flores is 18.

2) Tomori has played professionally for Chelsea, Hull City, Derby County & AC Milan.  And he played several professional seasons for 3 of those clubs before ever being called by England.  Marcelo has played 0 professional games vs men.

3) A better comparison would be Jebbison vs Marcelo since they are the same birth year.  However, unlike Marcelo, Jebbison has played 14 professional games (and counting) against men, Marcelo - 0.

4) Tomori is good enough to start for England now and if it wasn't for Southgate playing favourites, he would likely be a shoe-in for every England roster.  Again Marcelo has never played against men ever and is no where near the top 23 Mexican National Team Players.

5) Tomori is 4 or 5 years younger than any CB in England's current core group.

Edited by Corazon

8 minutes ago, Corazon said:

2) Tomori has played professionally for Chelsea, Hull City, Derby County & AC Milan.  And he played several professional seasons for 3 of those clubs before ever being called by England.  Marcelo has played 0 professional games vs men.

3) A better comparison would be Jebbison vs Marcelo since they are the same birth year.  However, unlike Marcelo, Jebbison has played 14 professional games against men, Marcelo has 0.

4) Tomori is good enough to start for England now and if it wasn't for Southgate playing favourites, he would likely be a shoe-in for every England roster.  Again Marcelo has never played against men ever and is no where near the top 23 Mexican National Team Players.

For some reason I always assumed that Flores was much younger than DJ. 

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

3) A better comparison would be Jebbison vs Marcelo since they are the same birth year.  However, unlike Marcelo, Jebbison has played 14 professional games (and counting) against men, Marcelo - 0.

This, Tomori will likely play again for England and soon ish.

14 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

At some point, the Tomoris, Salis, and Flores(es) of the world need to recognize this.  These national teams are not looking out for their best interest.   They are locking them down one reducing their options in a way that is entirely mercenary.  

The irony is that I have advocated a similar approach in the past - but only because other teams do it. 

And the Aleman's and Aird's. If we cap Flores in January or March it would be just as cynical... assuming he doesn't break into Arsenal in that timeframe.

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores