Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

13 hours ago, Yoginess said:

we should tweet him and tell him we will welcome him with open arms but will respect his decision either way. That's our comparative advantage over the collective Mexican soccer fan base

I would say we would welcome him with both arms but I personally wouldn't say I respect his decision because I wouldn't, so why give him an out.  We would love to have you is all that needs to be said.

If he's a Canadian and doesn't want to play for us and we give him an out and say how happy we are that just reminds me of the whole Ho saga and I don't know about the rest of you but I don't want that scene or damage to the program to happen again.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

I think this shows he would come to a January camp to see our setup. Whether he would then accept a call to a WCQ who knows.

Would Herdman call him up? As a CAM we aren't as deep as other positions. Osorio, Hoilett and Wotherspoon? With Osorio playing all over the midfield and Hoilett being used as a forward as well.

Since there aren't roster limits would he call him up to experience a real camp during a WCQ window? I've never put much thought into it because didn't think we really had a chance. 

9 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I don't speak much Spanish but can this guy barely speak it himself, I'd say he's ours down the road.

Under that tweet from above the guy mentions exactly this. "Note: Marcelo's Spanish is... less than perfect. I think that's a point in our favour." 

Don't want to speculate too much but I wonder if he has encountered any pushback within the U20 camp over it. The fans on twitter are giving it to him but I wonder if it reaches deeper. 

Like the stock answer we expect is "I am with the Mexican U20's and hope to push towards the senior side" or something along those lines...

Edited by canuckgbp

I think at this point it’s obvious he feels Canadian and is Canadian, but the dad is really pushing what he feels into the son, which is Mexican. Flores can’t speak Spanish and I can almost promise it’s not getting any better in England lol.

he learned the game here, just like Ugbo and Rutty, that’s go to mean so much. I’d imagine it meant a lot for Sali but Hagi/Dads…

56 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

Herdman: "Some players use national teams against each other to get called faster to the team they really want.."

Voyageurs: "He must mean Flores using Canada to get on Mexico!! Boooo"

Flores: "Hold my beer.."

That's not where I thought you were going with that! For all we know, this could be Flores asking Mexico to call him up to the senior team. Although he does seem genuine. We won't know until this all unfolds.

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I don't speak much Spanish but can this guy barely speak it himself, I'd say he's ours down the road.

Seriously.  A more literal translation of Marcelo's answer including his tense and word choice screw ups:

"As of yet has not gone to see Canada's process and I believe I want that experience to see it, but and after it if I like it or I don't like it, I'll make my decision."

36 minutes ago, CCrTFC said:

Someone get Drake on the phone, stat! 

Lol I was gonna say that to a young guy, this team is cooler and has more drip. The appeal of a young up and coming multicultural team making history supported by Drake e.g. with appreciative fans vs. Mexico's set up especially now with aging dudes and a MAF obnoxious fanbase obsessed with the Mexican-ness of its team is obvious.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

That's not where I thought you were going with that! For all we know, this could be Flores asking Mexico to call him up to the senior team. Although he does seem genuine. We won't know until this all unfolds.

Lol. Ya I thought he was a goner but I now get the sense he may have done what my three year old did to get me off her back... "ok dad, there I told you I wouldn't like playing with those guys.. now can I please take off this Lucha Libre outfit !??"

This would eclipse any American-Mexican dual nationals I think.  We can only take him at face value at this point.   Not an easy choice with 2026 automatic.  But he won’t join Canada if we don’t qualify this round that much seems clear. 

13 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

In fairness to him (and his dad), is there a rush for him to decide? Maybe I haven't watched him enough, but unless he makes massive strides in the next year is he even in contention for either squad's 2022 rotation?

Should be able to make a decision by 15

3 hours ago, saintjoes said:

Herdman: "Some players use national teams against each other to get called faster to the team they really want.."

Voyageurs: "He must mean Flores using Canada to get on Mexico!! Boooo"

Flores: "Hold my beer.."

Nah, he's underage. Flores is saying "Hold my juice box". 

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

He's not underage in Quebec.

Great point. I drank my first beer (Brador) and saw my first ever live naked lady on a hockey trip to Montreal when I was 14.  Québécois V’s need to get this kid to St. Catherine street stat.  After they wine and dine him on all the beautiful city of Montreal has to offer, then Herdman can go in for the kill.

While I may be proved very, very wrong in a few years time, but really you shouldn't worry too much. Many young players who perform well at youth levels do not  make it at the top stage. I'm reminded of Nathaniel Pinney, he kept Wilf Zaha out of Crystal Palace's u-18 starting line ups, scored goals and had the talent. Yet it's Zaha that made it and is one of Palace's key players today. Pinney is now playing in the English 7th-tier and has had a perfectly respectable career in non-league football.

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

edit nevermind. hes just saying it's pride to represent mexico

Point stands though. Yesterday for the first time in a long time Marcelo actually said something in his own words. Pops should let his son be the face of his decision and not meddle with the optics so much until he's made his final choice. 

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores