Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

Just saw that goal against Brazil... damn... we need to get this kid into our program... of all the dual nationals, he for me is the #1 priority (Dias a close second) just because of what it would represent.. the Mexicans would lose their mind if they lost both Pepi and Flores to their regional rivals... imagine a line up with all of Davies, David, Buchanan, Larin/Ugbo, Eustaquio, Flores.. that would be a hell of a squad, and could form our attack/midfield core for 2026... 

Edited by LeoH037

8 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Just saw that goal against Brazil... damn... we need to get this kid into our program... of all the dual nationals, he for me is the #1 priority (Dias a close second) just because of what it would represent.. the Mexicans would lose their mind if they lost both Pepi and Flores to their regional rivals... imagine a line up with all of Davies, David, Buchanan, Larin/Ugbo, Eustaquio, Flores.. that would be a hell of a squad, and could form our attack/midfield core for 2026... 

Thing is though, Mexico could never "lose" Pepi and Flores.  Pepi is born and raised American, while Flores is born and raised Canadian.  They could only "gain" in these cases.  Unfortunately, it looks like they will gain Flores.  That would be our loss.

5 hours ago, An Observer said:

He expressed an interest into coming into a camp in January so I think that is interest.  That being said, I still think he will play for Mexico which is a shame.

Wasn't there a suggestion this may have been to get the attention of Mexico and expedite his involvement into their program? Might just be speculation though and it is hard to prove. 

Edited by canuckgbp

Completely irrelevant to Marcelo or who his father is pushing his son to play for.  I'm sure I will get bashed for saying this but his father Ruben was a fantastic coach and trainer in Ontario and more specifically in the GTA and did a great job developing boys and girls in youth soccer in this province for several years.  I witnessed his coaching first hand and through many players in his programs.

I also want to add that it does look like he wants his kids to play for his home country Mexico.  But, I also think it is irrelevant that both his sisters also represent Mexico programs as I don't think either were ever going to break into the England or Canada women's programs.  Mexico is improving but there is a big drop off in level after the top 10-15 women's programs.  I think Mexico is more of a default for the sisters whereas Marcelo will likely have two options to choose from in Mexico or Canada.

Edited by Corazon

I can't imagine he's more interested in joining the Mexico senior team than when he accepted that camp invite. We've gone toe to toe with them twice, and will be playing them in front of $55k+ tomorrow with limited Mexican support. If anything, you have to think he would want to play with us more? Youth matches are irrelevant imo. Ask Begovic.

1 minute ago, Honest Footy Fan said:

I think he can probably foresee the harassment if he doesn't choose them.

Or maybe he can foresee the harassment for the rest of his international career whenever he does anything wrong. Everyone's different but that would be a complete turnoff for me.

I think he's sold on Mexico despite Canada's recent form and great potential. Let's be honest here, they have a good team, they always have good teams and there's no reason to think they will fall, from his point of view, he will have the opportunity to be part of a real solid squad and competes against the best year after year, you can't blame him. 

I still hope he chooses Canada, but I'm not holding my breath.

57 minutes ago, frmr said:

Or maybe he can foresee the harassment for the rest of his international career whenever he does anything wrong. Everyone's different but that would be a complete turnoff for me.

When you're young, your social media interactions have a huge impact on you.  It would be not the wisest decision to make, if truly, all the crazy Mexican supporters are actually having an influence on him, but its quite possible.

Being a dual national soccer player is complex and being a dual national soccer player w/Mexican heritage is even more complex because soccer is so engrained in the culture of Mexico and part of that Mexican identity is soccer. 

There's a great line from Edward James Olmos in the movie "Selena" talking about the complexities of being Mexican-American

"We have to be more Mexican than the Mexicans and more American than the Americans, its exhausting!!" 

That probably sums up how complex the decision can be for Flores (as its probably similar being a Mexican-Canadian) and how he probably feels a pull in both directions, ultimately he has to go with the best decision for him and where his heart takes him

Edited by mrstepp817

5 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I mentioned this before and can't remember where I saw the interview with the father thanking Canada and saying it's the best country in the world blah blah blah. Sure has a strange way of showing his gratitude.

Yeah that’s not a fair statement to make given the contribution his dad made.  These are not mutually exclusive.  His fathers  success will also be Canada’s in one way.  Always a tough decision for son.   To be fair I like many of the Mexican players and even like Tata.  That’s a tough environment for those guys. Only when they play Canada do I have dislike.   And some of the media and fans.  

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores