Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

As others have said, get him into a Canada camp and it is over. If he felt truly Mexican in his heart and his dream was to play for El Tri, there would be no ambiguity. The fact that this is still even a question, even with him playing and starring for their U20s and the pressure from his family, tells me Canada definitely has a shot. If we can get him into a Red and White kit that could be all she wrote.

But, the pressure from the Mexican FA and his family might be too much to overcome. Plus, it is not like Mexico is poor. They are a regional powerhouse, perennial World Cup participant, and could be looking to inject youth into their senior side sooner rather than later. 

All said I'd say 75/25 he plays for Mexico. Vegas should lay odds for stuff like this lol

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

Now I kinda hope that if he ends up with Canada, there is an announcement video with him looking at a plate of tacos and a plate with a burger on it, looking back and forth until picking up the burger.

Looks at Taco. Nope. Looks at Burger. Nope. Pulls out the Back Bacon and gobbles it down.

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

As others have said, get him into a Canada camp and it is over. If he felt truly Mexican in his heart and his dream was to play for El Tri, there would be no ambiguity. The fact that this is still even a question, even with him playing and starring for their U20s and the pressure from his family, tells me Canada definitely has a shot. If we can get him into a Red and White kit that could be all she wrote.

But, the pressure from the Mexican FA and his family might be too much to overcome. Plus, it is not like Mexico is poor. They are a regional powerhouse, perennial World Cup participant, and could be looking to inject youth into their senior side sooner rather than later. 

All said I'd say 75/25 he plays for Mexico. Vegas should lay odds for stuff like this lol

He'll be there for us in January, he wanted to come last year but couldn't due to covid and with his comments recently I think a training stint will happen. Now if we think this is tense wait till the period between January and March 🤣

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

Now I kinda hope that if he ends up with Canada, there is an announcement video with him looking at a plate of tacos and a plate with a burger on it, looking back and forth until picking up the burger.

Yeah slow motion then a fade out to black with a Canada Soccer logo

Canada  is opening eyes with every match. 1st place currently in Concacaf WCQ & with a team of established young stars that will only get better going forward. The only other  young team is the US. We have just taken 4 points from Mexico. Anything else we can do for you Marcelo

Edited by Kadenge

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Actually, there should be three plates. Tacos, burger and fish and chips (or whatever the hell the English are known for eating). He looks at all three and then reaches under the table and comes up with a plate of poutine.

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Between this family and Sali's dad you have to feel for these kids. These people just want attention - it's absolutely crazy.

I wonder if Herdman looks at this stuff and thinks, "you know, my team's pretty good as is... maybe I don't want this circus in town?"

Feel bad for the kid. He needs grown ups around him to manage these situations in his best interest, so he can focus on his footie and establishing himself as a pro. Seems the opposite is happening.

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Yeah this reminds me of John Brooks with the US where he said he went to one US camp and had so much more fun than the German ones, and that sold him along with the immediate comraderie.

28 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

I wonder if Herdman looks at this stuff and thinks, "you know, my team's pretty good as is... maybe I don't want this circus in town?"

Feel bad for the kid. He needs grown ups around him to manage these situations in his best interest, so he can focus on his footie and establishing himself as a pro. Seems the opposite is happening.

I doubt it.  He is one of those prospects that plays in a position where we need some young guns in the wings.  We are pretty stacked in the wings, we seem to have a good pool of keepers, the addition of Ugbo (along with David and Akinola) is a great young strike force, and Priso as understudy to Eustaquio and Piette is solid at CDM.  That leaves CB and CAM as the primary areas where I would like to see young talented depth emerging.  And if I can see it, I am sure Herdman has it figured out.   Besides, the circus only lasts until the decision is made.  I doubt we grovel for anyone these days, but a little bit of touring around a talented kid wouldn’t be a bad idea even if there is a lot of attention on him.   Once he pulls on the red and white and takes the field, the circus leaves town forever.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

I am going to go out on a limb and say he picks us.  He feels more Canadian, doesn't speak Spanish well, and he is now experiencing the utter pressure and lunacy around him joining the Mexican team (including from family) that is probably not sitting with him well now.  Plus, he sees how good our side now is (including a win and tie against Mexico in qualifying) and he will know that there is a whole generation of young stars he can play with here and be part of without the crap he has to deal with if he chooses Mexico.  Plus plus, he had the balls to tell the Mexican media that he hadn't made up his mind and wanted to go into a Canadian camp first.  I suspect he will have the balls to stand up to his family as well.

Met Ruben a few times. A truly amazing youth coach. The family are nice people.

He lands where he lands and that's his decision and a complicated one. Wish him well.

I just really hope his career keeps going the right direction. Because of the squad size rules most EPL teams have 50-60 rotating young kids in their setups and only a few become first-team regulars. Arsenal have about 70.

I remember watching Daniel Crowley play with their youth team at Borehamwood when he was maybe 17/18 and thinking he was insane. Quick, ridiculously skilled, just toyed with the adults he was playing against and always had a smile on his face. Kept waiting for his name to breakout and it never did. He now plays third tier with Cheltenham.

Regardless where he ends up I hope he's one of the few and finds peace and his place in the world.

it really is ridiculous what is happening with the Mexican fans & media re Flores. Perhaps it is a distraction from the results of their senior team  but it will be desperation on their part if they try and cap him in  WCQ. Hopefully the youth coaches at Arsenal will advise him accordingly. There is no doubt he has massive skill but like JMR at TFC, I doubt he is physically ready to play at the senior level for either Canada or Mexico

6 hours ago, Tyler55 said:

Very true unfortunately! Akademick @ Akademick1122

Replying to @jcgabrieldeanda The truth is, an ideal environment for him would be Canada, they are doing well, he does not need a projection to Europe, he is there and if he really is a crack he could play for England. Why play for Mex? Toxic environment, money scavenger, where promises are lost , especially the d children of Mxs.

14 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I agree too. He could probably play for El Tri given the fact that if his family is pressing the issue and getting into his head as well as the Mexican FA, then he's most likely going to play for them. However, if he does decide to play for Canada and he actually gives us a shot, then our offensive depth will grow even more which is scary to think about especially if you're teams like Mexico, USA, Panama, etc.

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores