Liam Millar

Northvansteve

Frustrating but it's the way it is, the difference is giving up a late or dumb draw in any of these matches vs. weaker teams. Lost two points that puts them virtually out of the playoffs barring a miracle.

For Liam, for his 4 month loan spell, you have to say it has been amazingly positive. 

As Liverpool is unlikely to keep him, don't think, it looks like either another loan or a transfer to a Championship club.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Frustrating but it's the way it is, the difference is giving up a late or dumb draw in any of these matches vs. weaker teams. Lost two points that puts them virtually out of the playoffs barring a miracle.

For Liam, for his 4 month loan spell, you have to say it has been amazingly positive. 

As Liverpool is unlikely to keep him, don't think, it looks like either another loan or a transfer to a Championship club.

I think amazingly positive is too strong.  I expected better numbers from Liam, even with him mostly playing on the wing. Still, he did well and proved he can be a difference maker at the League 1 level.  It's been a good loan.  He has obviously grown as a pro and I feel more comfortable with him getting substitute minutes for Canada.        

13 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I think amazingly positive is too strong.  I expected better numbers from Liam, even with him mostly playing on the wing. Still, he did well and proved he can be a difference maker at the League 1 level.  It's been a good loan.  He has obviously grown as a pro and I feel more comfortable with him getting substitute minutes for Canada.        

It’s consistently finding that end product that he’s missing. He too often makes the wrong decision or doesn’t execute. We’ve seen it with Canada too. He’s an excellent outlet though, and he creates danger. He just needs to keep his head in the final moments and he’ll start putting those numbers up

Here are the stats.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/charlton-athletic/top-scorers

He leads the team in assists despite having played just over half a season. 

He has 2 goals which should be more, agreed. He has shots, puts them on net, but does not score. Needs to finish better or with more accuracy, even a slight improvement, saying having scored a couple more, would be significant on the stat sheet.

It is also worth rethinking finishing in cases like his. There are days Messi just passes the ball firmly into the corner of the net. Higuain in his prime was very accurate picking corners. Anxiety or inexperience sees some players trying to blast it when given a chance, and if they are not succeeding, this should be rethought: pass that ball firmly into the corner of the net, done.

Still think it is a very fine loan stint.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Here are the stats.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/teams/charlton-athletic/top-scorers

He leads the team in assists despite having played just over half a season. 

He has 2 goals which should be more, agreed. He has shots, puts them on net, but does not score. Needs to finish better or with more accuracy, even a slight improvement, saying having scored a couple more, would be significant on the stat sheet.

It is also worth rethinking finishing in cases like his. There are days Messi just passes the ball firmly into the corner of the net. Higuain in his prime was very accurate picking corners. Anxiety or inexperience sees some players trying to blast it when given a chance, and if they are not succeeding, this should be rethought: pass that ball firmly into the corner of the net, done.

Still think it is a very fine loan stint.

Hate to correct this, but he's in second/tied for first. Andrew Shinnie is rated ahead because he has 1 more goal then Liam, but also has played two more games then him. 

In addition to that stat, it's the chances created that also excites me. That's where he leads!

I think in reference to the national team, I want all our wingers to be able to create chance first for Larin, David, Cavillini before being goal scorers. Because as we can see, we have a guy who can create these chances effortlessly and we have guys who can put them away.

Very great loan for Liam....next up is a team in the Championship!

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Liam has the start against Hull today.

Charlton need to win and Oxford and Portsmouth to drop points to make the play off.

Pompey doing their part (0-1 down) but neither *Oxford United (2-0up) nor Charlton (0-0) doing theirs so far. 

*I would love it happen at the expense of the Yellows. One of my worst live football experiences: 4-0 loss in the cup (two division below us) sitting in the Oxford United end.  

31 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Pompey doing their part (0-1 down) but neither *Oxford United (2-0up) nor Charlton (0-0) doing theirs so far. 

*I would love it happen at the expense of the Yellows. One of my worst live football experiences: 4-0 loss in the cup (two division below us) sitting in the Oxford United end.  

I can relate, I watched a heavily favoured QPR get humiliated 3-0 by Oxford in the 1986 Milk Cup my first trip to Wembley!

31 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Charlton won, but Oxford United won as well and got the 6th spot on goal difference. Good loan spell though, hopefully Liam finds himself on a Championship team that’s willing to give him minutes next season.

This is what gets me. I don't see how the loan army helps his development. Once it was obvious Liverpool didn't have him in their plans he should have looked for a permanent move somewhere where he'll play and develop. But it is what it is and yeah hopefully he moves up a level for his next loan move. 

52 minutes ago, VinceA said:

This is what gets me. I don't see how the loan army helps his development. Once it was obvious Liverpool didn't have him in their plans he should have looked for a permanent move somewhere where he'll play and develop. But it is what it is and yeah hopefully he moves up a level for his next loan move. 

One positive is the loan clause that guaranteed him playing time or a penalty to Charlton. That helped him a ton when he was slumping.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Didn't he just re-sign with Liverpool not that long ago?  He may not have been in their plans this year, but that doesn't mean he'll never be in their plans.

15 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Didn't he just re-sign with Liverpool not that long ago?  He may not have been in their plans this year, but that doesn't mean he'll never be in their plans.

That's really optimistic. When Liverprool won the title they played a few youngsters younger than him. That would have been the time to give him some time with the first team but he remained with the U23s. That was the writing on the wall for me.

I also don't think they particularly care about what he does with Canada.

5 hours ago, VinceA said:

That's really optimistic. When Liverprool won the title they played a few youngsters younger than him. That would have been the time to give him some time with the first team but he remained with the U23s. That was the writing on the wall for me.

I also don't think they particularly care about what he does with Canada.

I agree that they don't care about what he does with Canada.  Not sure why that is brought up.

However, based on a 2-minute google, he signed a new contract with Liverpool in January 2021.  I think its a little early to conclude that he's not in their plans, let alone state that its obvious that he's not in their plans.  Generally clubs don't throw contracts at players they have no interest in.

Just now, El Hombre said:

I agree that they don't care about what he does with Canada.  Not sure why that is brought up.

However, based on a 2-minute google, he signed a new contract with Liverpool in January 2021.  I think its a little early to conclude that he's not in their plans, let alone state that its obvious that he's not in their plans.  Generally clubs don't throw contracts at players they have no interest in.

Yeah I’d say they must have a plan for him, but he hasn’t exactly earned a spot in the first team yet. I’m sure if they got the right offer, they’d sell him but until then they’ll hope he hits his potential and eventually works his way into the first team. If not, they can sell him later. I think it’s probably a long shot that he makes it into the first team, but crazier things have happened.

Another loan to Championship would help make it more clear what level he’s really at, whether than be EPL, Championship, or League One. My guess would be Championship or low level EPL but you never know, some guys blow up and some disappear. 

Liam is 21 and turns 22 in September. 

Some may disagree with me but if he was loaned again to Charlton for a full season, crushed it and helped the team promoted that would be huge, and I would not think it is a BAD move.

What's important is you would assume he would be given a huge leash with respect to playing time, which only helps us out as CMNT supporters. 

Sure "22 is old" most of the time but in his position and in my opinion, I do not think it is and there are countless exceptions to this age bracket.  I still see a HUGE ceiling in the proper environment, playing time and development ie: finishing accuracy and/or slotting the ball into the net for goals instead of a blast etc etc.

Obviously different players but similar example below:

ie: Ollie Watkins turns 26 this year....when he was 20-22 he was in League Two, transferred to Championship when he was 22 turning 23, played 3 seasons in Championship and came to the BPL 25 turning 26. 

Liam should 100% keep the dream alive and I honestly think it is silly to right off this dream right now. I think big clubs are seeing this now and holding onto players a bit longer. He just needs to keep working hard, keep his head down and keep improving which from what it seems he 100% is doing.

Anyways I'd like to see him in Championship but I am also 100% okay if he resigns a 1 year loan stint with Charlton. It's not easy coming in mid season and I think he would be a clear standout, which only helps his confidence, development and the CMNT.

Exciting summer for the lad. 

Edited by apbsmith

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I bet it was his Starbucks Cup that was left on the table in GotT!

----

Offers from many Championship sites is great!

But whenever forum members ask @spitfire about Liam transfer rumours:

200.gif

It’s wasn’t my coffee cup but I was there that  day lol...

Edited by spitfire