Liam Millar

Northvansteve

So is everyone so hard on Liam because he’s a Liverpool academy player? I think he did a pretty good job last night but I can see that there’s more there. I remember a couple of nice plays where he cut inside and drove through the middle. He got that one hard shot off where he looked like he wanted to open up his body and go far post but had to adjust at the last second so it wouldn’t get blocked and it went close to the keeper. I feel like he could have scored with a little more luck... 

29 minutes ago, archer21 said:

As spitfire said, this is pretty standard to have the 2 sides attacking in different ways. Not only are Millar and Hoilett different styles of players, so are Buchanan and Adekugbe. We’d be crazy to not have Hoilett tuck in to let Buchanan overlap, since the attacking side of the game is Buchanan’s strength. Then on the other side, Millar stayed wide while Adekugbe came inside or stayed more defensive. It all seems like a pretty logical plan based on the players involved. 

I do agree that Corbeanu has shown very well and may take some of Millar’s minutes, but that’s fine. It’ll be a very good battle for many years between them and others, and that’s a positive for our national team. Millar and all the players just need to find their role in the team and continue to do what is asked of them.

I guess it all comes down to what the coach wants him do to I guess...that we’ll never know unless spitfire “says so”.

It’s also very standard for attacks to be “balanced”....Salah-Mane, Sterling-Mahrez, Pulisic-Mount, Rashford-Greenwood,  Pepe-Saka....I could go on. No players are the exact same, but all these guys are typically deployed in 4-3-3 systems with their job to go at the fullbacks, typically cutting in to create. Ive seen unbalanced attacks when a team is trying to exploit a weak side/fullback.

Maybe it was that game adjusting to tactics....but for Herdmans praise, I’ve yet to see us establish an identity. He’s talked about this in his mantras, all teams playing the same way etc....it’s good to adjust, but I haven’t seen an identity of the way we play. 

If we had this setup against better teams, it’ll be easy for them to overload/stifle/recognize and adjust to the one sided attack.

Edited by Shway

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

I guess it all comes down to what the coach wants him do to I guess...that we’ll never know unless spitfire “says so”.

It’s also very standard for attacks to be “balanced”....Salah-Mane, Sterling-Mahrez, Pulisic-Mount, Rashford-Greenwood,  Pepe-Saka....I could go on. No players are the exact same, but all these guys are typically deployed in 4-3-3 systems with their job to go at the fullbacks, typically cutting in to create.

Maybe it was that game adjusting to tactics....but for Herdmans praise, I’ve yet to see us establish an identity. He’s talked about this in his mantras, all teams playing the same way etc....it’s good to adjust, but I haven’t seen an identity of the way we play. 

If we had this setup against better teams, it’ll be easy for them to overload/stifle/recognize and adjust to the one sided attack.

🙄

10 minutes ago, frmr said:

Millar was fine, everyone needs to relax. He looked dangerous, made some good runs, forced a good save with one shot, caused a pen with another. Some of his stuff didn't come off but he played well.

For the record, all I said was that our increasing pool of skilled players will mean he will have to constantly up his game to stay in contention.  

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

For the record, all I said was that our increasing pool of skilled players will mean he will have to constantly up his game to stay in contention.  

Agreed...but that goes for pretty well everyone on the roster...if you're not producing you won't see the field.

Our whole team took a while to gel in the first half. I thought the intention of the sub was because we are saving him and letting others get some experience. Some may look at his early sub like he wasn’t getting the job done, to which I disagree. He was solid. He’s basically a veteran player now.

Came here hoping there was a transfer rumor or speculation. Didn’t expect a back and forth on his performance. Like Shway, I also wanted to see him score. I am sure we all did, especially spitefire. 

Like many others, I think he did a good job last night and was unfortunate not to score. It will come eventually. He was an important player in the first half, as was Buchanan, Cav, Hoilett, etc. 

In my mind, he is in a 3 way battle with Buchanan and Corbeanu as far as young wingers are concerned, but for what it’s worth I think Corbeanu was the least impressive of the 3 last night.

I thought he was pretty good. I did like when he was cutting in he was giving Aruba all sorts of problems. It's obvious the staying wide was Herdman's call but I think this game showed he is very useful cutting in.

That was his bread and butter with Charlton this season right? He'll get his goal eventually for Canada eventually.

edit: Woops not Sheffield lmao

Edited by VinceA

17 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I thought he was pretty good. I did like when he was cutting in he was giving Aruba all sorts of problems. It's obvious the staying wide was Herdman's call but I think this game showed he is very useful cutting in.

That was his bread and butter with Sheffield this season right? 

Fastforward this statement one year and I would be very pleased with Millar's development :)

Edited by Obinna

I think we can all agree that if Liam gets a loan to Championship, or a top European 2nd tier, that will mean one more step up for his club play. And it'll mean a positive contribution for Canada, especially in terms of competitive experience.

I insist that he is young and it seems to me the kind of player who has never based his success on having a clearly superior physical advantage. So it is not like he's a prodigy, though he can be flashy at times. I can appreciate that a loan to Charlton is good experience but won't get you called into the Liverpool first team roster, unfortunately. But hey, even players who had an even higher upside from Liverpool youth, like Brewster, could not find their way in. Clearly that is not the question, although it'd be a beautiful story for him. 

Liam is also the kind of player who will benefit greatly if we make the Octogon, I am sure it will help his club career. I feel the same for players like Tajon, but also Sturing, and we'll see with Kennedy.

11 hours ago, Shway said:

Being blown out of proportion....all I said was I expected more, I thought he could’ve been more dangerous. He’s been to 6+ camps? 11 apps, got the start....I wanted his first goal. 

Me too because I really do want him to succeed

• 2 weeks later...