Liam Millar

Northvansteve

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Judging from Charlton fans on Twitter he did not have a good match. The honeymoon seems to be over between them and Liam. Hopefully he can turn it around.

In fairness, Charlton fans should cut him a bit of slack.  Two trans-Atlantic flights and two international games in one week. High emotions running during this time.  I know fans will be fans, Liam will be fine.

Important thing is they got a W and a clean sheet, both of which they are doing more this past month. The team has a very poor GA average for one aspiring to promote.

They still have more games played than rival teams so will probably have to win over half of what is left to make the playoff. Maybe 75 points, 73.

21 hours ago, VinceA said:

Don't know what Carlton fans are expecting from Millar since he just flew to and back across the Atlantic. This is on their coach for not resting him.

23 hours ago, spitfire said:

Not to come to his defence again but he has only  been back in the UK for just over 48 hrs at  kick off  and was jet lagged. Said to me his legs were dead...

Don’t think they needed play him today but I know he hates to miss a game... will watch the game later as I’m filming in Liverpool.... 

23 hours ago, Ivan said:

In fairness, Charlton fans should cut him a bit of slack.  Two trans-Atlantic flights and two international games in one week. High emotions running during this time.  I know fans will be fans, Liam will be fine.

Not talking to any one of the above posters in particular, but I think there is a lesson in here somewhere for those "play friendlies at all costs" people.  Friendlies are good, but there can be knock on effects like this that might have more longer term negatives.

Imagine that hypothetically Millar lost his place in the team and his replacement went on a tear.  He could get stuck to the bench for a bit.    Now this was WCQ, so the risk is worth it, in my opinion, but imagine it was a friendly against TnT or something.  An argument could be made that due to our depth, having key players lose out on regular playing time would be worse for the team than a week together.

Something to think about.

Draw isn't much good for them unfortunately, still in with a shout and have a game in hand over pompey which will put them into the playoffs. Other than Peteborough they play 3 teams in the mid to lower end of the table with little to play for. Pompey play the bottom two and also Accrington (mid table). Charlton will need to win all 4 imo. 

43 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Curious how a player like Liam being affiliated with a founding club of this ill conceived "European Super League" joke affects us, given FIFA/UEFA threatening bans to players from international competitions as a penalty...

The Super League is just an obnoxious way to pressure UEFA to pay the big clubs more, to give them a richer cut of the CL spoils. It worked for basketball 20 years ago, because FIBA Europe was weak, but everyone knows it can't go anywhere in football. 

I find the premise foolish anyways. Supposedly you want to see better rivals more consistently. The problem is that I have been in Barcelona for over 30 years and have seen most of the top teams, pretty well. And the allure is nothing like it was back in the early 90s. Super League will kill that allure entirely and you just would get used to those strong rivals they way you do with your usual league rivals, no different. And then teams that could be on the rise get left out, others left to fall into decadence stick around. What's the point?

Further, I have seen Betis or Villareal beat Barça at Camp Nou, in superb performances, and seen very modest sides play great and draw-- and then have watched some very poor versions of some of the teams touted for Superleague.

It is all relative: if you asked me what teams I would most like to see right now, it'd be Lille for David, then Villareal as they are an interesting team with a fascinating roster, Bayern to get a rematch and revenge for last year. I don't think I have seen Naples play ever, nor Leicester. Dortmund I've seen but I'd like to see Haaland. That is my list of "Supers", next year it could be different.

I'm confident nothing will come of it, it is no more than a bargaining chip.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Its hilarious when teams like Tottenham and Manchester United think they somehow deserve the right to be part of elite European competitions 🤣

As a United fan I can’t agree more we can’t even win the Europa league, we’re a joke.

4 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Its hilarious when teams like Tottenham and Manchester United think they somehow deserve the right to be part of elite European competitions 🤣

Maybe not today in the footballing sense, however on the financial side of soccer they are definitely in the elite.  It is all about the money, nothing to do with the sport itself.

6 minutes ago, costarg said:

Maybe not today in the footballing sense, however on the financial side of soccer they are definitely in the elite.  It is all about the money, nothing to do with the sport itself.

well that's just it ain't it?

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Curious how a player like Liam being affiliated with a founding club of this ill conceived "European Super League" joke affects us, given FIFA/UEFA threatening bans to players from international competitions as a penalty...

In short, it wouldn’t affect us whatsoever.  It isn’t like he sets corporate direction at Liverpool.  

For there to be any impact whatsoever, Liverpool would have to be part of a breakaway league (that will not materialize) and Liam would need to be a regular in the super-league (which, with no disrespect intended, is looking pretty unlikely). That would be the only scenario that would impact us and it would just mean that he potentially wouldn’t be allowed to play for us while both of those conditions were in place. 

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

In short, it wouldn’t affect us whatsoever.  It isn’t like he sets corporate direction at Liverpool.  

For there to be any impact whatsoever, Liverpool would have to be part of a breakaway league (that will not materialize) and Liam would need to be a regular in the super-league (which, with no disrespect intended, is looking pretty unlikely). That would be the only scenario that would impact us and it would just mean that he potentially wouldn’t be allowed to play for us while both of those conditions were in place. 

I guess I'm moreso curious to know (if this trainwreck moves forward) how harsh/far FIFA/UEFA would go in order to punish the offending clubs. As in, would bans only be placed on players currently on the 1st team rosters, or would they extend them to all personel affiliated with said club.

27 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I guess I'm moreso curious to know (if this trainwreck moves forward) how harsh/far FIFA/UEFA would go in order to punish the offending clubs. As in, would bans only be placed on players currently on the 1st team rosters, or would they extend them to all personel affiliated with said club.

If it happens, and if the ban happens,  I think it would only apply to players that participated in actual super league games.  Anything beyond that and they would risk getting things overturned by the CAS which has previously been willing to stand up for player rights.  If FIFA tried to take some sort of extreme “salt the earth” approach to offending clubs, they might actually weaken their ability to combat the breakaway clubs.  

But that is all speculation.  

Assuming the 12 stick together (which is a big "if"), I think UEFA and FIFA will buckle as these are pretty much the top 12 sides in the world (i know PSG and Bayern aren't in).  Who is stronger?  Its a good question. I will certainly watch with interest.

I find it laughable that you have all these pundits coming out and crying "greed".  European football is the epitome of "greed".  They are not run like NA based professional leagues with a salary cap, draft, etc.  The richest have all the resources and consistently win the Champions League (as well as being in the semis and quarters as well).  Is it any surprise that they want to take it one step further?

I for one would be a strong supporter of this concept as it puts the best against the best weekly but my preference would be for there to be a 20+ league with relegation for the bottom 2 or 3 to either a Superleague 2 or the remnants of the Champions League.  If they need to use a FIBA like Europa league format for a few years where the top 12 or 14 sides cannot be relegated, i could accept that but it would not be my preference.

Right now, European football is run like the equivalent of having professional baseball or football leagues in every state of the US with the richest and best leagues being in New York, Texas and California and therefore the richest clubs.  Its ridiculous when you think about it.  Imagine that the New England Patriots couldn't win anything as they happen to be in a tiny state of Massachusetts so have to play a schedule against Worcester and Springfield so don't have the budget of New York Giants or Jets who just kill them every time they meet them in the Champions League other than that one year when New England pulls an upset and every one of their fans remembers it for the next 40 years.  And that is what they live off of forever  Its kinda pathetic.

39 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I find it laughable that you have all these pundits coming out and crying "greed".  European football is the epitome of "greed".  They are not run like NA based professional leagues with a salary cap, draft, etc.  The richest have all the resources and consistently win the Champions League (as well as being in the semis and quarters as well).  Is it any surprise that they want to take it one step further?

I for one would be a strong supporter of this concept as it puts the best against the best weekly

okay... so the solution to a shitty system is an exclusive shittier one then, made up of what will essentially be unsanctioned "glorified" friendlies?

Edited by LeoH037

It is simply a negotiating tactic, nothing more. UEFA pulls in significant funds with the CL and the clubs involved most frequently, which are the ones essentially providing the entertainment, consider there should be a better sharing of the spoils. 

I will say something about the current Champions League format: it is not that exciting. I have watched a team consistently in Europe for years, and European games lack excitement for a key reason: rarely does a single result against a rival count in a critical way for both teams, except in finals. In the first round format, you maybe only get a critical match last day to make the round of 16. Then the rest, being two legs, is speculative: you  are always managing the two-leg result, with away goals. How many second legs come down to one team needing a draw, another needing to not lose by more than one? You celebrate losses. This is not right, and it alters fan experience of matches and makes them less interesting. Single round knock-outs in national Cup formats are far more thrilling.

Okay, Barça fan here: we got knocked out in a single match last season in a humiliating loss to Bayern. But I'll confess: when it all comes down to a single match things are much more intense. Maybe a CL with a final 8, quarters, semis, all single matches, played over 10 ten days? But I digress...

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It is simply a negotiating tactic, nothing more. UEFA pulls in significant funds with the CL and the clubs involved most frequently, which are the ones essentially providing the entertainment, consider there should be a better sharing of the spoils. 

I will say something about the current Champions League format: it is not that exciting. I have watched a team consistently in Europe for years, and European games lack excitement for a key reason: rarely does a single result against a rival count in a critical way for both teams, except in finals. In the first round format, you maybe only get a critical match last day to make the round of 16. Then the rest, being two legs, is speculative: you  are always managing the two-leg result, with away goals. How many second legs come down to one team needing a draw, another needing to not lose by more than one? You celebrate losses. This is not right, and it alters fan experience of matches and makes them less interesting. Single round knock-outs in national Cup formats are far more thrilling.

Okay, Barça fan here: we got knocked out in a single match last season in a humiliating loss to Bayern. But I'll confess: when it all comes down to a single match things are much more intense. Maybe a CL with a final 8, quarters, semis, all single matches, played over 10 ten days? But I digress...

It is nothing more than a negotiating tactic? I guess FIFA/UEFA should just call their bluff then, since they won't really launch a European Super League...

Also, the UCL format is fine. The richest clubs want a bigger share of the spoils? Does Arsenal for example contribute more to the tournament than Porto? They are barely in it. This is all about the rich getting richer, not about getting their fair share. The teams who make it furthest already get a bigger share of the spoils compared to the other teams, and they want more money? It's not FIFA/UEFA's fault they don't have healthy balance sheets.

I hope every one of these clubs crash and burn under the weight of their own greed.