Liam Millar

Northvansteve

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

@spitfire Have you guys been in touch with Neil Critchley, yet? It makes way too much sense not to happen!

I had no idea, but did a search on the basis of your comment--and now understand what you are saying. Well thought.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-critchley-sends-liverpool-jurgen-20709170

Edit: Let me just say: usually on-loan players return to their home team's pre-season and start training. Then loan deals are worked out. I would not mind this at all, as it gets Liam back with Liverpool, if only for a few weeks. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

As per my last comment, Neil Critchley, Liam's former manager with Liverpool U23s, has just won promotion to the Championship as the manager of Blackpool. I'd like to think that there are some phone calls being made as we speak.

Liam Millar to Blackpool works or he could always go to other Championship teams like Swansea for example or he could go to a team that just earned promotion into the Premier League that being Brentford

Rough game tonight. I was happy to see him get the start, but disappointed in his game today. 

He sits wayyyyyyyyyy to wide to be the danger man that he could be.
I think he needs to be more tucked in, so it allows him to be in more 1v1 situations vs 1v3. He wasn't allowing Adekugbe any space to overlap.

I'll also say it will be very tough for him to get additional appearances with Buchanan and Corbeanu emerging as real talents. 

32 minutes ago, Shway said:

I'll also say it will be very tough for him to get additional appearances with Buchanan and Corbeanu emerging as real talents. 

Someone made this point in one of the other threads (not even sure if it was about Liam, but it applies) - a player like him would have been absolutely in the mix to play for the Canadian senior team a decade ago.  But the quality of players we are now seeing come through the ranks, especially in attack, means guys like Millar will really have to up their game if they want to get many meaningful caps.  

7 hours ago, Shway said:

Rough game tonight. I was happy to see him get the start, but disappointed in his game today. 

I think he needs to be more tucked in, so it allows him to be in more 1v1 situations vs 1v3. He wasn't allowing Adekugbe any space to overlap.

Tucked in as a winger which is what he should be doing but then again seeing Buchanan and Corbeanu breaking out, I can say Millar most likely if he continues to be selected by us, is no doubt going to have to come off the bench now as a substitute rather than being a full on starter.

8 hours ago, Shway said:

A wide player has to start wide, that is the modern game. When you anticipate the rival  team parking the bus, even more so, as you may not find holes up the middle. When a wing player can get free off a dribble, like he can, he needs to receive with those extra metres. That is the way he played most of his loan period at Charlton as well. 

Regardless, he is not a danger man, he is an attacking player in support of strikers. I think he played exactly as Herdman asked him to and he was totally comfortable doing that. 

Buchanan and Corbeanu seem more comfortable on the right, although Theo said that after playing left for Canada in April, his club coach, suppose he means u-23 Wolves, put him on the left. Funny how a NT match vs a minnow in Concacaf can alter the thinking of a EPL academy coach. Mind you, Davies plays LB at Bayern thanks to Robinson exploring his possibilities there.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Agreed with your take UT, as Herdman would have likely have asked Liam to stay wide. A wide player hugging the touch line can stretch the defence which can help to open up space in the middle for central attackers.
An overlap isn’t the only option for an outside back either, as many outside backs will underlap to contribute to the attack as well. 

Edited by maccaliam
Typos

56 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

Agreed with your take UT, as Herdman would have likely have asked Liam to stay wide. A wide player hugging the touch line can stretch the defence which can help to open up space in the middle for central attackers.
An overlap isn’t the only option for an outside back either, as many outside backs will underlap to contribute to the attack as well. 

They weren’t being stretched though...he was starting wide and cutting in. 

Maybe Herdman asked him to do that, but it’s weird when you have two sides doing completely two different things. Hoilett was inside so much, it didn’t even seem like Tajon was setup as a RB...he was so high and on the touch line like Millar was. 

So maybe he was asked to play exactly how he played at Charlton, but again it’s weird that you tell the substitute (Corbeanu) to do something different.

@Unnamed Trialist I disagree Liam is a danger man!if he’s not a danger man, ...how can you expect him to support the strikers when he’s playing so wide? There’s a difference between playing LM in a 4-4-2, and LW in a 4-3-3.

3 hours ago, Shway said:

Maybe Herdman asked him to do that, but it’s weird when you have two sides doing completely two different things. Hoilett was inside so much, it didn’t even seem like Tajon was setup as a RB...he was so high and on the touch line like Millar was. 

So maybe he was asked to play exactly how he played at Charlton, but again it’s weird that you tell the substitute (Corbeanu) to do something different.

@Unnamed Trialist I disagree Liam is a danger man!if he’s not a danger man, ...how can you expect him to support the strikers when he’s playing so wide? There’s a difference between playing LM in a 4-4-2, and LW in a 4-3-3.

So you agree, disagree or don't agree, I have no idea what you are saying?

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So you agree, disagree or don't agree, I have no idea what you are saying?

Disagree - which was stated. 
All our wingers are danger man, but you gave him the benefit of the doubt in saying “maybe Herdman told him to play like that”...but it doesn’t make sense, because Corbeanu came on and did exactly what I was saying he should’ve been doing. 

Not going to spend time on this as most of it is conjecture and speculation. I will tell u have a look at the stats for liam in the game(pick your poison SofaScore etc ) and look at how well he did. He got a 7.4 rating with the most dribbles and runs with the ball. Completed the most take ons and had the most touches of any of the front three in the first half and 2nd half. He was i in n almost every free kick and corner and put in two very good corners that could  hve been goals for Vitoria and someone else.  He had a very good half of football and was unlucky not to score  

He was part of most of everything Good in the first half out side the goals even though the pen was his shot   The two other goals in the first half were a cross from Kaye and a pass from Tajon( a very similar goal to Theo’s that liam assisted.)

For a fact most teams(pro and national teams)  do game specific transition. Players are given very specific tasks and instructions and even subs coming in to effect the game and do different things to unsettle a team. I’m sure liam and Theo being different types of players where given differed briefs and tactics.  

I think we need to take a step back on the smash and bashing of Liam and his performance and potential. Theo came in when the other team was tiring and played with David Davies and Larin a bit different I’d say... 

Again Liam is always proud and feel very fortunate to pull ion the red and always gives everything and plays  the way he is told too 

...stand by to see what the next few weeks brings transfer wise...

6 hours ago, Shway said:

Have u never heard of an unbalanced  433? Or strong side tactics? I guess they never taught them from your armchair.  Playing one side high and wide and another inside with an overlapping fullback is actually pretty common(contes Chelsea comes to mind)  and from the look of it that’s how they played first half yesterday with hoilett tucking in and Tajon overlapping and on the other side liam high and wide and Sam underlapping ... Aruba parked the bus and tactic are important to break them down with triangles and interchanges liam Sam and spooney all moving  the ball well and tried to break them down. Kaye was the link on the other  side driving beyond hoilett leading to the first goal. These are advanced tactics...  I was really quite impressed with Herdman’s set up last night ... im

done 12 am here!! 

I thought he was fine..had some nice attacks for sure but was a bit lacking in the end product and made the wrong decision a few times.

I still think right now he’s our third best left winger and is a viable option as a sub - he’s close to being an automatic call for me right now.

Edited by Floortom

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Disagree - which was stated. 
All our wingers are danger man, but you gave him the benefit of the doubt in saying “maybe Herdman told him to play like that”...but it doesn’t make sense, because Corbeanu came on and did exactly what I was saying he should’ve been doing. 

I wish you would disagree a bit better then, I am pretty sure with your "danger man" you are 100% backing my argument. 

56 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Have u never heard of an unbalanced  433? Or strong side tactics? I guess they never taught them from your armchair.  Playing one side high and wide and another inside with an overlapping fullback is actually pretty common(contes Chelsea comes to mind)  and from the look of it that’s how they played first half yesterday with hoilett tucking in and Tajon overlapping and on the other side liam high and wide and Sam underlapping ... Aruba parked the bus and tactic are important to break them down with triangles and interchanges liam Sam and spooney all moving  the ball well and tried to break them down. Kaye was the link on the other  side driving beyond hoilett leading to the first goal. These are advanced tactics...  I was really quite impressed with Herdman’s set up last night ... im

done 12 am here!! 

I also agree, I am seeing Herdman lining us up well, giving the right assignments, and for once his coaching is matching his rhetoric. Which I am also liking lately, more than ever. Yesterday he played Liam in the way he is used to playing lately, although Charlton shifted him a bit that was his main role. He crossed right, got to the endline at least once with a left footer, turned in. Did not abuse his shot but looked to combine. He is also disciplined defending. 

Liam is one of our players who gives us exactly what you'd expect, he does not let us down, he just needs to keep developing and add pieces to his game.

I don’t think he particularly did anything wrong. Now that said, I would share the opinion he’s going to be in a battle for minutes with some of the other emerging options.

I’d like to see just a little more edge to these performances.

Edited by ag futbol

Cant really say much when there’s a one-sided opinion. Which I completely understand. I’ll never question you when it comes to Liam  @spitfire. Who the hell am I right?

I truly hope he continues to progress in his football career.  No disrespect intended, I just think he could’ve been better.

Where was the ratings for this game? 

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

Cant really say much when there’s a one-sided opinion. Which I completely understand. I’ll never question you when it comes to Liam  @spitfire. Who the hell am I right?

I truly hope he continues to progress in his football career.  No disrespect intended, I just think he could’ve been better.

Where was the ratings for this game? 

Sofascore... it’s an app or try fotmob or any other the other ones 

2 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

I don’t think he particularly did anything wrong. Now that said, I would share the opinion he’s going to be in a battle for minutes with some of the other emerging options.

I’d like to see a little more edge to these performances.

And this is what I was saying...never said he did anything wrong, just that I would’ve loved to see more of his swagger in the attack. Less on the line like a wingback....

He’s been in the most camps out of all the young guys, and that game was his chance to make a statement,... but we’ve been talking about Tajon, Corbeanu, and ZBG.

I watched him all season, even purchasing a damn Valley pass. I just was hoping he showed out - and he didn’t imo.

9 hours ago, Shway said:

As spitfire said, this is pretty standard to have the 2 sides attacking in different ways. Not only are Millar and Hoilett different styles of players, so are Buchanan and Adekugbe. We’d be crazy to not have Hoilett tuck in to let Buchanan overlap, since the attacking side of the game is Buchanan’s strength. Then on the other side, Millar stayed wide while Adekugbe came inside or stayed more defensive. It all seems like a pretty logical plan based on the players involved. 

I do agree that Corbeanu has shown very well and may take some of Millar’s minutes, but that’s fine. It’ll be a very good battle for many years between them and others, and that’s a positive for our national team. Millar and all the players just need to find their role in the team and continue to do what is asked of them.