Liam Millar

Northvansteve

I think it also has a lot do with which clubs have successfully turned their club in to a "brand" those teams know who they are. Lets be real about this. Its not about making more money. Its about creating a system in which you are the only one who can make real money. Its about creating a system in which you're the only king maker as far as the perception of which players are the best and which players and teams have the the access to outlets that make them rich and famous. Its culture control. It happens to a degree already but they're trying to tighten it to a point in which the whole world mainly focuses on 15 teams or whatever the number is

Its the same reason Nike and NBA doesn't like its player in the World Championship. It totally melts down the marketing and perception to see the USA shoe sellers loose to a bunch of Serbian guys

Edited by SpursFlu

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Awesome news.  

Not sure if he ever checks in here but please let him know that a whole bunch of us back in Canada are rooting for him.  

I'm just imagining him scrolling up and down the page frantically looking for a single post about him and not the Super League

All the speculated super league owners might be in severe financial strife and this ploy to create this super league may have only been a strategy to mitigate against just that. It seems like as the idea is failing, more rumors are surfacing of the owners putting their clubs up for sale. 

Edited by Macksam

10 minutes ago, Macksam said:

All the speculated super league owners might be in severe financial strife and this ploy to create this super league may have only been a strategy to mitigate against just that. It seems like as the idea is failing, more rumors are surfacing of the owners putting their clubs up for sale. 

Barcelona and Real Madrid are in serious financial strife, with Barcelona seriously staring a total collapse in the face. I'm not really sure of the financial situations of Atletico or the 3 Italian clubs, but the Premier League clubs are run in a much more sustainable manner (petrostate or oligarch owners, excepted). I don't think the Glazers or Kroenke are going to put Man Utd or Arsenal, respectively, up for sale, since they don't need to, nor do they give one fuck about the supporters being angry. I suspect that FSG might start exploring a sale of Liverpool in the near future, not because they have to for financial reasons, but rather because they've irrevocably broken the trust with the most vocally belligerent supporter base in England.

It should be noted that Real Madrid and Barcelona cannot be put up for sale since they're owned by their members.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Barcelona and Real Madrid are in serious financial strife, with Barcelona seriously staring a total collapse in the face. I'm not really sure of the financial situations of Atletico or the 3 Italian clubs, but the Premier League clubs are run in a much more sustainable manner (petrostate or oligarch owners, excepted). I don't think the Glazers or Kroenke are going to put Man Utd or Arsenal, respectively, up for sale, since they don't need to, nor do they give one fuck about the supporters being angry. I suspect that FSG might start exploring a sale of Liverpool in the near future, not because they have to for financial reasons, but rather because they've irrevocably broken the trust with the most vocally belligerent supporter base in England.

It should be noted that Real Madrid and Barcelona cannot be put up for sale since they're owned by their members.

Agreed, but I wouldn't say we are in danger of collapse at Barça. We have the largest social media following in the world, Forbes just ranked us 1st in value. We have the largest stadium. But we do have some ridiculous salaries, probably pushed up by Messi's (who actually earns his, unlike Coutinho or Griezmann). If you have value normally you can restructure debt. 

I think the lack of serious talk about financial fair play is a factor in all this, since the work of creating value is much harder than taking money from elsewhere and leveraging that way.