Liam Millar

Northvansteve

Spent some years of my life in Switzerland, it's a beautiful country! The Swiss also really love Canadians and with his work ethic I could see him quickly becoming a fan favorite. 

Basel is a German speaking part of the country so he can practice with Alphonso :). 

Seems like this could be an excellent fit for the lad, for an upward trajectory in his career, still has lots of years in him to be a professional baller. 

Best of luck to him. 

Edited by apbsmith

30 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If this materializes, it seems like a solid move.   They would be competing at the top of the Swiss table and would provide a good platform for Liam to continue his growth.   If the finish behind Young Boys, would they compete in the Europa league?

Looks like they finished 2nd last season and are in the new Conference league for 21-22.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Swiss league starts July 24 and Basel are already playing friendlies.

That would most likely mean no Gold Cup for Millar.

Honestly, to help secure a solid move like this and start getting integrated, it would be silly to go to the GC.  This is one of those cases where focusing on the club would definitely be warranted.    

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honestly, to help secure a solid move like this and start getting integrated, it would be silly to go to the GC.  This is one of those cases where focusing on the club would definitely be warranted.    

I don't disagree. I fully expect any player making a move this summer to skip the Gold Cup.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Good for him, interesting that NYRB wanted him… wouldn’t be a bad spot and he’d move fast if he did well.

Have to agree - think that would be a great fit for him as a potential replacement for Clark. The only options there that I hope he doesn’t go to are Charlton and Odense.

Edited by Floortom

Man I hope this move comes to fruition. Rid himself of the circle jerk of never ending loans from Liverpool. It’s time to get comfortable and establish himself as a key player and Basel is thee perfect place to get going.

Fuck yea, this is exciting!

For me this is not the ideal move, but not a bad one. 

It's better to go to a football system where you can move inside that system. Mid table Netherlands or Turkey, 2nd division Spain or Championship. 

It's also better to go to a team that's not a bigger fish in a smallish pond, as you're at the top and can only move on by moving out. Then, you aren't going to move from Basel to a top league, or not easily. 

What I like is that it's a solid pro club. That it'll get to European competition. It's a fine spot for a young man with a baby looking for a move.