Liam Millar

Northvansteve

4 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Just shoplift that chocolate bar.  It's only 1 dollar 

Don't worry, the internet police aren't going to show up at your door, I promise. I highly doubt anyone here is going to sign up for the Athletic just to read an article on Liam Millar, with all due respect to the kid. Those who are willing to pay for Athletic content already are, and a single article isn't going to change that. But we're all very impressed with your moral fibre.

10 hours ago, frmr said:

Don't worry, the internet police aren't going to show up at your door, I promise. I highly doubt anyone here is going to sign up for the Athletic just to read an article on Liam Millar, with all due respect to the kid. Those who are willing to pay for Athletic content already are, and a single article isn't going to change that. But we're all very impressed with your moral fibre.

The real problem is folks are too lazy to read and summarize. That preserves the integrity of the content and allows access to the information just the same. 

Citing and summarizing a source is not plagiarism BTW. 

He has a lot of offers from the championship but his spell divided opinions as a lot of Charlton fans weren't happy with his end product but one of the clubs journos was a fan and he was the club's legend's favourite player. That's all I remember from reading it last night. 

He enjoyed playing at Charlton, and Charlton would love to have him back, but he would like to take the step up to the Championship.  If that doesn't work out, Charlton is definitely an option. (adding to the comments)

I subscribe to The Athletic (which has a real good deal on at the moment) and appreciate the link as I may not have seen the article otherwise.  I don’t subscribe to the Globe&Mail or The Star but if there was a feature article on a CMNT player and the link was posted I wouldn’t be all in a huff.  And if someone could summarize that’d be great...maybe whoever found didn’t have the time / didn’t want to spoil?  A polite request to summarize (so someone else might do so) would be better than piling on whoever posted without summarizing.

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Good lord people.  You can read it with a free trial that takes 30 seconds of effort and brain power. I'll spare you all the massive inconvenience next time.       

Well some folks dont believe in free trials, nor have these 30 seconds your privilege just assumes we should. ;)

28 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Gonna bump this thread the next time complaints about the soccer media in this country start coming up.  You get what you pay for and it looks like many around here aren't willing to dish out $12 a year.

I think that's part of it. So much sportswriting - particularly on the internet - is really average and not necessarily worth paying for.

37 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I think that's part of it. So much sportswriting - particularly on the internet - is really average and not necessarily worth paying for.

Free sportswriting is mostly average or suffers from sins of omission. Part of it is because it is intended to buttress whatever league/team they're partnering with.

Paid sportswriting such as the Athletic's means not having to stick with someone else's party line. You also get access to all their local cities coverage including from the UK.

2 hours ago, red card said:

Free sportswriting is mostly average or suffers from sins of omission. Part of it is because it is intended to buttress whatever league/team they're partnering with.

Paid sportswriting such as the Athletic's means not having to stick with someone else's party line. You also get access to all their local cities coverage including from the UK.

But they both suffer from overall poor writing. (And I was talking about paid sportswriting above.) 

(Off topic rant deleted)

Regardless, do you think The Athletic dug up links to Championship teams through investigative reporting? More likely his agent or his family.

So no matter what, you're always getting a party line - even when you're paying.

But props to them for covering one of our kids. Sorry for the deviation! Rant over. Let's hope Millar moves on up.

Edited by The Real Marc

On 5/24/2021 at 9:03 AM, The Real Marc said:

But they both suffer from overall poor writing. (And I was talking about paid sportswriting above.) 

(Off topic rant deleted)

Regardless, do you think The Athletic dug up links to Championship teams through investigative reporting? More likely his agent or his family.

So no matter what, you're always getting a party line - even when you're paying.

But props to them for covering one of our kids. Sorry for the deviation! Rant over. Let's hope Millar moves on up.

Just to be clear on this, Caoihme O'Neill is one of the Athletics' Liverpool-based writers. While she's definitely junior to James Pearce and Si Hughes on the staff there, she's not shy of contacts. On top of being able to tap into her colleagues' contacts, she was a long-time contributor to the Anfield Wrap podcast, which would have given her access to a lot of knowledgeable people in and around Liverpool FC. If she's saying that there's interest from Championship clubs, you can trust that it's based on more than just wishful hints provided by Liam's agent or family. Now, that being said, I haven't had time to read the actual piece, yet. I'll try to get to it this afternoon.

On 5/23/2021 at 12:12 PM, Ivan said:

He enjoyed playing at Charlton, and Charlton would love to have him back, but he would like to take the step up to the Championship.  If that doesn't work out, Charlton is definitely an option. (adding to the comments)

But I wonder which Championship teams have shown an interest? It is a genuine question that I'm asking because I haven't watched enough of him lately to even know