Liam Fraser

shamrock

I know we are all focusing on that pass (and it was a hell of a pass), but what really impressed me about Fraser was all the other things he did, especially in the second half. Other than the pass that led to his yellow card (I have to admit it was pretty funny seeing Atiba get drilled by that ball), he was very tidy, kept things simple, never panicked, even when Honduras started to ratchet up their pressing intensity in the second half. One of the things I noticed was that when the pressing became more intense, Fraser never panicked and just absorbed it. Instead of just panic hoofing the ball, he would take an extra second so his teammates (Laryea, Adekugbe, Hutchinson etc.) can get into a position where he could just play a simple ball to bypass that pressure while still holding possession. 

All in all I thought he had a great match, did a lot of the unsung hero work, and maybe that's why he's so underrated by so many. 

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Columbus has a Leagues Cup game against a Mexican side last year and Fraser had an outstanding game.

Have to wonder if he would still be in MLS if not for their archaic free agency rules.

I'll admit I didn't follow him too much with Columbus. I'm really hoping that regular minutes in Belgium will get his confidence going and allow him to achieve his full potential

16 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

My team TFC were pretty stupid when it came to handling Liam Frasier . Im glad he is out of there  and hopefully he continues to improve as a player in Belgium

Shipping him off to Columbus and then proceeding to play RB Auro Jr as a Central Midfielder ("oh he played there before, once!!") was beyond a level of incompetence that us TFC fans have been historically used to. 

Edit: I'm still loving THAT pass.  How many quarterbacks can make that pass with their arm? 😄

Edited by Metro

12 hours ago, GasPed said:

I gotta be honest, that pass was... ...good?  Put it this way - it was an absolute bullet onto David's chest, but there's no way that pass turns into a goal without some nutso magic sauce and football mojo/juju from David.  I mean that ball was a rocket - David misses that and it's into the stands.  I would prefer a little air and a little forgiveness under a ball like that.  I know I shouldn't complain (and it worked out for the best because we got to see world-class talent on display), but I can't stand with hand on heart and say it was great.  It was really hard.

Watch the pass again.  He puts a spin on it so that it looks like a rocket coming off his foot but by the time it gets to David its coming down.  If David hadn't controlled it, it would've dropped ten feet in front of him.  It was a world-class pass.

7 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Watch the pass again.  He puts a spin on it so that it looks like a rocket coming off his foot but by the time it gets to David its coming down.  If David hadn't controlled it, it would've dropped ten feet in front of him.  It was a world-class pass.

I'm with you. At first I thought it was too long, but on rewatch I think it was perfect. It actually confused the keeper, too, which is why he was caught in no man's land. You actually see the keeper go back and forth a couple times lol

12 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I'm with you. At first I thought it was too long, but on rewatch I think it was perfect. It actually confused the keeper, too, which is why he was caught in no man's land. You actually see the keeper go back and forth a couple times lol

The other thing is that if the ball stays in the air longer and is easier to come on to, it has to be way in front of David so he can keep ahead of the defenders on the run. But then it's closer to the keeper, hits the ground and keeps coming to him and he clears it. David did the more impressive thing on that goal with those three perfect touches, but the pass is perfect. That's just class combining with class! Not something we're used to.

29 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Tfc messed up with this kid to appease Bradley. He’s going to end up playing in a quality euro league

One season when Bradley was injured for a good part, everyone thought this is Fraser's time as the natural replacement for Michael  ...but then Vanney changed the system and Fraser was on the bench again. Frankly I blame Fraser for being too patient and not pushing for a move earlier. Let's hope he can kill it in Belgium D2 and move upwards

8 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Its the backspin. Slows the flight of the ball. Make no mistake. He knew exactly what he wanted to do, and did.

9 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I'll admit I didn't follow him too much with Columbus. I'm really hoping that regular minutes in Belgium will get his confidence going and allow him to achieve his full potential

I heard somewhere he's the teams highest profile player, maybe JJDTV's weekly roundup video. If you dont know about JJDTV check him out

10 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Ok, I went and watched it again.  And again.  I admit I didn't record it in 4K so maybe I can't see the detail.  But I didn't see a lot of backspin on that ball.  A bit maybe, but frankly it was very direct.

Having said that, I do have to admit too that the window for that pass was extremely small.  If Liam hits it higher, he still needs velocity, and he needs to land it no more than 5 - 10 yards further from where this pass hits David.  If he does that, he gives David an easier first touch, but then David probably only gets one more quick one before the defenders/keeper are on top of him.  So yeah, it's either a bullet like Liam's or a slightly more lofted pass that has to be placed perfectly.  And if you have an otherworldly talented striker on the end - well, the first option is the correct one.  So a belated thumbs up from me - well done, Mr. Fraser - that was a great pass.  🙏👍

I could see both Hutch and Eustaquio starting against ES (assuming Staq is fully fit) so not sure who else gets the nod if we go with 3 in the middle.   Definitely could be Fraser as a reward.  He has now played in both of the first 2 games but limited minutes in both (and importantly only 30 min tonight).  Oso only played today but is out of season and went the full 95 today. I could see Fraser starting and then turning to Kaye or Oso for sub relief.    

• 2 weeks later...