Liam Fraser

shamrock

About to turn 24, so entering his peak years. Maybe MLS is a better competitive and financial environment, but if he has been nurturing European ambitions it's a good point in his career to take the leap.

I know it was a lower point in our NT's arc, but Tomasz Radzinski, among others, was earning call-ups from the Belgian second tier.

Edited by jonovision

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Fraser was making $95k USD last year…would he be taking a pay cut for this move?

i get the “Europe” appeal but I have to think that he’s less likely to be called into a Canada camp being with a Belgian 2nd tier side vs MLS. Hopefully he can move up eventually 

To me this puts him in line with more moves later on.  Not unlike Dunn at HamKam, hopefully this will lead to more exposure in Europe and maybe more opportunities.  Especially if they promote.  Not a terrible move for a January transfer.

Just now, gator said:

Hopefully this works out for him as even at 24 I don't think we have seen him at his best, maybe we have though, this move is interesting and perhaps he fits in well in Belgium!

This post reminds me of Cornelius in Greece.

Different situation, being a loan move, but he dropped down a level and became a starter, if not a key piece for his side. 

I hope we see the same with Fraser here.

30 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Just looking at it now, Fraser's new club is in 4th but that is deceiving as there are only 8 (!) teams in the 2nd division. 

True, but the glass half full approach is to say the team is 3 points back of a chance at the promotion playoff match to reach the top-tier

1 hour ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Well this was out of left field. Deinze is currently 4th in the Belgian 2nd Division

What kind of salaries are we looks at here, something close to his MLS wage? I am always curious with levels like this, how does  a second division like this compare to say the top flight in Norway where another former TFC player Julian Dunn went or any other mid tier country places. 

Do we think he's currently above this level? No offence to Fraser, but he's struggled to solidify a starting XI position at any point in his MLS career so far. Perhaps an opportunity to be a regular starter is what Fraser needs to get to the next level. If he's able to get promoted, then he's a starter in the Belgian top division, which is a good spot to be in. 

12 minutes ago, Cblake said:

What kind of salaries are we looks at here, something close to his MLS wage? I am always curious with levels like this, how does  a second division like this compare to say the top flight in Norway where another former TFC player Julian Dunn went or any other mid tier country places. 

Not a direct comparison, but this may be helpful:

https://capology.com/club/excel-mouscron/salaries/2020-2021/

Here are the First Division A salaries for Royal Excel Mouscron last season, they now find themselves in First Division B following relegation, so they may serve as a decent proxy.

As you can see, the annual average salary is 173k euros.

They probably have a larger budget than Deinze, but how much bigger is hard to say.

Here is another club who dropped down. They have an average salary of 147k: https://capology.com/club/waasland-beveren/salaries/2020-2021/

My guess based on this would be that Fraser received a small bump, but nothing crazy, maybe between 110-120k euros?

He seems to be the only international at Deinze, aside from a Rwanda international with 35 caps, but that's not a strong national team (FIFA ranked 135).

This leads me to think Fraser is a significant acquisition and will be paid "better than average", but this is all guesswork on my part.

8 minutes ago, jordan said:

He started a game for them last week in a friendly. I assume he won’t be waiting long for minutes. 

That automatically puts his game sharpness ahead of Kaye and Piette, not that I am necessarily suggesting he gets called over either. 

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Surprised he didn't stay in MLS given the playing time he was getting in Columbus. Have to figure it's a move where he is immediately guaranteed/given playing time as a starter. I hope he's already been training with them so is more match fit for the window coming up.

I always thought he played well when called upon (ie>: for both TFC and Canada).  Mind you, i did not see any of his games with Columbus.  I am surprised that there wasn't a better opportunity out there.   I don't have any doubts that MLS is better level and nor should anyone in their right mind.   

I see a lot of other posts on this thread here whereby ppl are assuming that this is a stepping stone to better opportunities.   But there are no guarantees, never have been, and never will be.   There are far far more players who go to second division clubs, and just remain in second divisions versus those who move up.     

Finally and oddly, I am not sure i see a difference in quality between Fraser and Klukowski (from years ago).  Yet,  Klukowski landed his first pro contract with a First div Beligan club after leaving the Lille youth setup.   More evidence to support the notion of a European bias against MLS.  

Edited by Free kick

4 hours ago, Floortom said:

Columbus fans seem a bit surprised with this. The consensus amongst Crew supporters is that Fraser played well enough last season. Apparently their midfield is totally congested though

The reason he got so much playing time is because of all of the injuries for the Crew. This year they should have those players back and healthy.

10 hours ago, Ruffian said:

The reason he got so much playing time is because of all of the injuries for the Crew. This year they should have those players back and healthy.

Yea this is a good point, I think would have  thought another MLS club would have tried him out… TFC’s midfield is looking thin all of a sudden.