Liam Fraser

shamrock

This guy needs minutes, I don't wanna beat the dead horse who is TFC, but he's been poorly managed and had crumbs for way too long.  This will almost guarantee he shakes off all the rust, it's exactly what he needs.  If he plays well, which I feel he will, he will be noticed and will surely move up a level quicker than the alternative of playing it out as a journeyman in MLS.

7 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I want anyone who's ever shit talked Liam Fraser's presence on the national team to remember that pass to David in Honduras....

He's always had that in his locker. Wasn't Davies's goal against the US in 2019 started from a Fraser long ball?

26 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I want anyone who's ever shit talked Liam Fraser's presence on the national team to remember that pass to David in Honduras....

He’s always been good for us and continues to get game time for a reason. All the haters need to stop worrying about what club players are attached too

30 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

He's always had that in his locker. Wasn't Davies's goal against the US in 2019 started from a Fraser long ball?

It was actually from a Bradley giveaway to Arfield initially, but Fraser did play a nice pass to Arfield when they got the ball back after the US cleared the initial

But yes, he's always had that pass in his arsenal, unfortunately I don't know how many players in Belgium 2nd division will be able to take that pass like David did, but we can worry about that for his club form on another day. :)

48 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I gotta be honest, that pass was... ...good?  Put it this way - it was an absolute bullet onto David's chest, but there's no way that pass turns into a goal without some nutso magic sauce and football mojo/juju from David.  I mean that ball was a rocket - David misses that and it's into the stands.  I would prefer a little air and a little forgiveness under a ball like that.  I know I shouldn't complain (and it worked out for the best because we got to see world-class talent on display), but I can't stand with hand on heart and say it was great.  It was really hard.

1 minute ago, GasPed said:

I gotta be honest, that pass was... ...good?  Put it this way - it was an absolute bullet onto David's chest, but there's no way that pass turns into a goal without some nutso magic sauce and football mojo/juju from David.  I mean that ball was a rocket - David misses that and it's into the stands.  I would prefer a little air and a little forgiveness under a ball like that.  I know I shouldn't complain (and it worked out for the best because we got to see world-class talent on display), but I can't stand with hand on heart and say it was great.  It was really hard.

It was a fantastic pass in my opinion.  With that being said, that is very much a fantastic pass because of David.  Very few players in the world could bring that down and settle it that quickly while maintaining a near full sprint.  A lot of credit has to be given to David.

5 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Too much air and the defenders catch David. excellent pass, excellent touch, excellent composure

43 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

But yes, he's always had that pass in his arsenal, unfortunately I don't know how many players in Belgium 2nd division will be able to take that pass like David did, but we can worry about that for his club form on another day. :)

I was thinking about that after the goal too. Most of Fraser’s career will be played with players incapable of taking that pass, but it was phenomenal because we had David to receive it. Other parts of Fraser’s game will hold him back, but his ability to see that pass and actually execute it was outstanding.  

I didn't like Fraser's first half, but that's understandable as he came in cold and really isn't a like-for-like with Piette. But he grew into the game and obviously the ball to David was crucial. I compared him in the other thread to Patrice Bernier, a player I had a lot of time for. The athleticism doesn't jump off the page, and there are some defensive questions, but good passing range and vision. 

He's almost 24 so hopefully he doesn't spend too long in the Belgian second tier. You'd hope he could play his prime years at a higher level.

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

With the way David controlled the ball and nudged it on with his head, I thought it was literally stuck to him like something out of FIFA on easy mode. It didn't look real.  

Liam Fraser is the Ali Gerba of the midfield!

Also, what we are learning  is that Canadian players are wildly undervalued.  Think how good Adekugbe has become in the last year.  Once European team start recruiting our middling players to higher competition it will make a world of difference.  It to scout Alphonso Davies and Cyle Larin. 

Mark Anthony Kaye only had 64 games in USL ages 21-24.  Liam Fraser has had 57 games in MLS ages 19 - 23.

There's every chance with a run of consistent games that Liam Fraser turns into a very decent player. 

Hopefully he gets that in Belgium.

Could it be that Fraser is a "big game player"? I say this in the sense that with Canada, when the stakes are high, he always outperforms our expectations. I'm thinking specifically of last night and 2019 NL vs the US. But with TFC, I always found him inconsistent and never really doing enough

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

35 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

There's every chance with a run of consistent games that Liam Fraser turns into a very decent player. 

Hopefully he gets that in Belgium.

Unlike his detractors of which there are a fair few on here, I think he already is a decent player! We are in first place in Concacaf and the manager continues to call him into the squad and play him in important matches, if he is not a decent player the manager's judgement should be questioned! I completely agree that Liam and other Canadians have been  underrated, that may be changing!

He's an excellent player and it's criminal that he never got a chance to be a starter for TFC.  

And that pass was perfect.  Yes, a lot of forwards wouldn't have been able to bring that down, but when you have Jonathan David up there, you get it to him as fast as you can in a situation like that and you trust him to do the rest.  Liam played it perfectly.

36 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Could it be that Fraser is a "big game player"? I say this in the sense that with Canada, when the stakes are high, he always outperforms our expectations. I'm thinking specifically of last night and 2019 NL vs the US. But with TFC, I always found him inconsistent and never really doing enough

Columbus had a Leagues Cup game against a Mexican side last year and Fraser had an outstanding game.

Have to wonder if he would still be in MLS if not for their archaic free agency rules.

Edited by narduch