Liam Fraser

shamrock

He's delivered when wearing the Maple Leaf and I am glad he is in the squad.  The reason I had him off my 26 player list was that he wasn't always a constant presence during WCQ so it put some doubt in my mind.  However, if he sees time, I hope that propels his club career to the next level.

Edited by BearcatSA

Just on a human level, I am happy for him. I think it's a bit nuts, since he clearly erred in taking a contract with a club below his level; it is also one of those cases that gets me because we need to encourage something more from our guys. 

But it's an exception, that is clear enough. 

And a bit odd since with three injured mids coming back in the last month, you would not have thought we needed a mid.

I absolutely think he played himself onto the team after Fridays game.  Was significantly better than Kaye and I feel like he’s trusted more than Kaye now.  Unfortunately Kaye was never not gonna be included so I think one of Corbeanu, ZBG or Brym might have lost their spot for Fraser.  Probably the right move considering how fragile a lot of our core midfielders are right now.

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

It's a bit of an eyebrow raiser but also not really for the reasons you list above. He almost always steps up and raises his game for Canada and has almost always been part of this core group. It's a safe choice.

I think if he still was a starter with Columbus, his inclusion wouldn't even be questioned.

5 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I think if he still was a starter with Columbus, his inclusion wouldn't even be questioned.

For a 26 player roster, likely not. However, he just finished up last season at Columbus and wasn't called up for the crucial Edmonton games at the start of November, albeit with a 23 player roster.  That was my reasoning behind seeing him on the bubble.  However, I am happy he is all aboard here.

38 minutes ago, frmr said:

I doubt he'll see the pitch but happy for him nonetheless. What an experience.

I think no matter what happens, we are going to make subs. 

We are going to sub to bolster a back line. We are going to sub to give us another mid to clog up a late attack. We are going to sub in strikers to put an extra body in the box to try to nab a goal. Then there are cards and knocks to take care of, to not get caught out in a critical moment.

It's the first World Cup with a 5 sub rule. 

I'm not saying Fraser, but I would not be surprised to see a lot of guys getting minutes. Maybe Hutch, Kone, Oso, Piette, Wotherspoon are ahead of him, hard to say. Also: if we are up two goals with 10 minutes left, I hope he gives guys minutes.

^lol you can really tell he's from Toronto by the way he talks. Can see him subbing on late if a match is going well. His tendency is to protect territory rather than go looking for tackles, and if we are pushed back he can play it out to the wing and relieve pressure. Also capable with defensive headers. He has performed well late under pressure against the best opponents in our region. I won't be surprised if we see something from every midfielder.

Leaving his club to join the North American camp looks like a wise decision. He was on the bubble and perhaps he only made it due to injuries (Henry) and injury concerns (Osorio), but he will forever be on the World Cup roster and I'm sure getting an extra look (plus showing his commitment by coming) gave Herdman enough to make the choice to bring him.

I'm happy for him. He had a tough go in Toronto, struggling to get play time, but he has always worked hard and its nice to see it be rewarded

Edited by rydermike