Ayo Akinola

masster

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

so that somehow makes them count less? By extension of that logic, do goals at the start of a season count less too?

FFS I was just stating my opinion re: the hype around him, in my book he has a ways to go to become one of our top strikers, I'm as pleased as anyone he has chosen us over the US and look forward to him developing! The MLS is back tournament was not like regular season football for many obvious reasons, yes the goals all count the same but we sure haven't seen Ayo scoring at anywhere near that pace since, injuries have no doubt played a role but he looks off the pace so far this season IMHO!

2 hours ago, gator said:

FFS I was just stating my opinion re: the hype around him, in my book he has a ways to go to become one of our top strikers, I'm as pleased as anyone he has chosen us over the US and look forward to him developing! The MLS is back tournament was not like regular season football for many obvious reasons, yes the goals all count the same but we sure haven't seen Ayo scoring at anywhere near that pace since, injuries have no doubt played a role but he looks off the pace so far this season IMHO!

Well that opinion is trying to place an asterisk on the goals the guy has scored so...  And so what if it wasn't like "regular season football" (w.e. that means) an official game is an official game with every player with more or less the same degree of form. And there is no "hype" around him, but as far as our young strikers go (i.e. not Larin or Cavallini) he is only behind David, has a good amount of first team pro experience, and a shit ton of youth international experience. Also, dunno if you've noticed, but TFC is all around shit right now, and Ayo clearly looks like he is just regaining his physical and match fitness (for reasons unknown, perhaps illness, he wasn't very active during the pre season, or much at all prior to that). I still see Ayo far surpassing Cavallini, both in club form and internationally, by the time he reaches the same age.

Edited by LeoH037

4 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

so that somehow makes them count less? By extension of that logic, do goals at the start of a season count less too?

Of course they don't count less. The point is just that he scored 5 goals in 2 games, got headlines and all of a sudden USA was thinking about him on their senior roster and Canadians as well thought for the first time he isn't just a signing to promote TFC's academy and sit on the bench. Since those 2 games he has only scored 7 goals in 26 appearances which is much more ho-hum.

But as people have said, he seems to be getting more into form after a slow start this season. Hopefully he has a Davidesque turn around this season and also follows David (and Davies) as yet another Golden Boot winner... but I won't be upset if Davies, Cav, Larin, or any other Canadian wins the Golden Boot.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Of course they don't count less. The point is just that he scored 5 goals in 2 games, got headlines and all of a sudden USA was thinking about him on their senior roster and Canadians as well thought for the first time he isn't just a signing to promote TFC's academy and sit on the bench. Since those 2 games he has only scored 7 goals in 26 appearances which is much more ho-hum.

Or better yet, 4 goals in under 700min...which is what Hamilton had in 2019 and he was rewarded with a one way ticket out of town.  Its a fickle game and Ayo cant live off those 2 really good games.  He needs to show it wasnt a fluke...or he'll end up getting sent down the road and replaced with a Mullins type.  

18 minutes ago, costarg said:

We'll see what happens when Ayo lines up for a CANMNT who is riding a strong and positive wave at the moment vs the negativity which seems to be surrounding TFC at the moment.  I think he'll do great.

That is my hope as well.  TFC can’t be a great environment right now.   Contrast that with a CMNT that is rolling and excited.   I can see him getting swept up I that.  I would really like to see him get some decent time at the GC.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

19 hours ago, VinceA said:

A couple of years ago Vanney was blasting the CSA for not doing more to convince Ayo of the Canadian program.

I remember Vanney blasting the CSA because he couldn't count Ayo as Canadian content for the Voyageur's Cup, not because the CSA wasn't doing enough to convince him to play for Canada.

Whatever served his purpose.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I remember Vanney blasting the CSA because he couldn't count Ayo as Canadian content for the Voyageur's Cup, not because the CSA wasn't doing enough to convince him to play for Canada.

Whatever served his purpose.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/article-toronto-fc-coach-greg-vanney-wonders-why-canada-is-not-wooing-teen/ 

This the relevant part I remember. 

Ayo Akinola scored his first senior goal for Toronto FC on Wednesday night with coach Greg Vanney, taking off his American hat, campaigning post-game for the Canadian Soccer Association to get moving and woo the 18-year-old forward into the Canadian fold.

The relevant part was that several years before (if you believe the stories..and most do) TFC brass (assuming Vanney..) steered Akinola into the US program.  So by the time Vanney does this interview, Akinola has played 30+ times for the USA youth program.  And he says this after Akinola wasnt counted as CDN in the CDN championship and Vanney was spissed about it.  Says it right in the article.   Totally hypocritical to steer him one way and then flip the script when its more advantegous for Vanney.   

Ayo was at TFC already when was introduced to the USMNT set up in 2014 by his former club coach from Brampton: From the rec league to the big leagues: The rise of Toronto's Ayo Akinola | MLSSoccer.com

There, with Nick Theslof and Greg Vanney as his coaches, Akinola caught the eye of US Soccer, thanks to a tip-off from his former club coach.

“My club coach at Brampton made contacts with a guy down in Florida. He told one of the national team scouts to come to New York, watch a kid play named 'Ayo'. We beat Red Bulls, 5-0, I scored two goals,” Akinola said. “After the game, I saw two national team scouts, wearing gear, standing at the field. I didn't really pay attention to it. A couple weeks later, in March [2014], I got my call-up.”

I remember reading this TFC pushed Ayo to USA idea previously, does anyone have a link? My quick googling couldn't find it.

EDIT: Ok the answer to my above question is actually on page one of this thread via tweets from Aaron Nielsen. Seems like it stems from TFC Academy allowing Akinola to train with the US u17 set up. Sounds like TFC Academy had him, Brampton coach alerted US to him at a showcase, TFC allowed/encouraged Ayo to go to US u17 residency program before offering him a homegrown deal. 

51 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The relevant part was that several years before (if you believe the stories..and most do) TFC brass (assuming Vanney..) steered Akinola into the US program.  So by the time Vanney does this interview, Akinola has played 30+ times for the USA youth program.  And he says this after Akinola wasnt counted as CDN in the CDN championship and Vanney was spissed about it.  Says it right in the article.   Totally hypocritical to steer him one way and then flip the script when its more advantegous for Vanney.   

Should also note this was a period of time where the CSA were ass at scouting even in their own backyard and seemed to be indiferrent to players running to other teams.

Granted I don't really know how much has changed other than Herdman being much more forceful in reaching out to dual-nationals, a trend started by Floro.

18 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Ayo was at TFC already when was introduced to the USMNT set up in 2014 by his former club coach from Brampton: From the rec league to the big leagues: The rise of Toronto's Ayo Akinola | MLSSoccer.com

There, with Nick Theslof and Greg Vanney as his coaches, Akinola caught the eye of US Soccer, thanks to a tip-off from his former club coach.

“My club coach at Brampton made contacts with a guy down in Florida. He told one of the national team scouts to come to New York, watch a kid play named 'Ayo'. We beat Red Bulls, 5-0, I scored two goals,” Akinola said. “After the game, I saw two national team scouts, wearing gear, standing at the field. I didn't really pay attention to it. A couple weeks later, in March [2014], I got my call-up.”

I remember reading this TFC pushed Ayo to USA idea previously, does anyone have a link? My quick googling couldn't find it.

Maybe TFC told Ayo to stay with the US but historically, it has been local youth coaches who have failed to see the bigger picture, more focused on their own fiefdom and ended up screwing Canada. 

5 hours ago, king1010 said:

He filed his one time switch did he not? Hes cap tied? 

From “Commentary on the Rules Governing Eligibility to Play for Representative Teams” on FIFA’s website 

5. A player that was:
a) granted a change of association; and
b) was not fielded in a match in any (official or unofficial) competition in any kind of football by the new association,
may request a change of association back to his former association provided he continues to hold the nationality of such association.

So I think he has to actually play to be cap tied.