Ayo Akinola

masster

18 hours ago, VinceA said:

Should also note this was a period of time where the CSA were ass at scouting even in their own backyard and seemed to be indiferrent to players running to other teams.

Not for nothing, but this was also about the same time that the CSA introduced a young upstart playing for the prestigious Gloucester Hornets with options to play for both the USA and Haiti to the Canadian program, so I don't think their scouting was as completely incompetent as you say.

10 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Not for nothing, but this was also about the same time that the CSA introduced a young upstart playing for the prestigious Gloucester Hornets with options to play for both the USA and Haiti to the Canadian program, so I don't think their scouting was as completely incompetent as you say.

Buzz and sting!

Oh yes, the Gloucester Hornets. I remember playing them in U-16 when they came over to Newfoundland to play some games. Decent side. I still have their badge (it was like a big green G with a stinging hornet) stashed somewhere deep amongst all my other playing memorabilia....

Just now, Dominic94 said:

Apparently a move could happen soon for Ayo, with his strong start I saw a tweet from one of the soccer guys saying there’s some interest.

Normally I don’t necessarily want everyone seeking to move all the time, but I would recommend as many of our guys getting out of TFC as possible right now.  The issues they have are structural and can’t be fixed quickly.  Coach who seems to have lost the room, Bradley and Jozy on contracts that are bad value at this point, and a system that the players don’t seem to be suited for.  

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Normally I don’t necessarily want everyone seeking to move all the time, but I would recommend as many of our guys getting out of TFC as possible right now.  The issues they have are structural and can’t be fixed quickly.  Coach who seems to have lost the room, Bradley and Jozy on contracts that are bad value at this point, and a system that the players don’t seem to be suited for.  

They also love their vets way way way too much.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

The issues they have are structural and can’t be fixed quickly. Coach who seems to have lost the room, Bradley and Jozy on contracts that are bad value at this point, and a system that the players don’t seem to be suited for.  

Most of those things can be fixed quickly.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Coaching change can happen for sure.  But moving on Bradley and Altidore seem trickier and longer term.  Plus they have a bunch of middling US journeymen that don’t really add much value to the club (IMO).  

Moving Bradley is not an option.  They are grooming him for a position with the team after he retires.  

Ayo just quietly keeps knocking in goals.  Very nice finishing on a beauty feed from Bradley last night.  No matter what kind of disaster is going on in the back..he has to be full of confidence..ready to showcase himself on the big stage.  

6 minutes ago, frmr said:

Armas has been fired.

Probably was about time. I never really liked this hire from the beginning although I do think Armas was in a tough position (injuries, playing away from home, etc).

one thing is for sure - the Vanney bashers on this site have been proven spectacularly wrong 😂. Not just for what has happened at TFC but for the turnaround he has engineered at LA. Vanney is an excellent coach regardless if he plays Liam Fraser or Quillian Roberts enough for the fans on here

21 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Probably was about time. I never really liked this hire from the beginning although I do think Armas was in a tough position (injuries, playing away from home, etc).

one thing is for sure - the Vanney bashers on this site have been proven spectacularly wrong 😂. Not just for what has happened at TFC but for the turnaround he has engineered at LA. Vanney is an excellent coach regardless if he plays Liam Fraser or Quillian Roberts enough for the fans on here

I wonder who replaces Armas as manager 

11 hours ago, El Hombre said:

That had just as much to do with the MLS youth academies getting all twisted about not getting their hands on David. Everyone knew who he was; pushing him into the nat program was part of their way of trying to convince him to leave his club team and join an academy. CSA coaches spent years trying to push him into an academy. 

9 hours ago, Floortom said:

one thing is for sure - the Vanney bashers on this site have been proven spectacularly wrong 😂.

Yes.  This is worth repeating.   I would also like to hear from those who (when I suggested Akinola could start alongside David and complement Jonathan David very well)  thought that Akinola would be something like like 5th or 6th on our depth chart way behind the the likes of Cavallini and Charles Brym!!!!!  I thought this notion was laughable at the time.  More so given that no one had ever seen Brym play at that time.  Equally laughable was the notion that Cavalini was country miles ahead of Akinola on the depth chart even though I showed MLS scoring stats showing very much the contrary.

Even this year Akinola has scored three goals in something like 560 mins while Cav has only 2 goals in almost double the minutes played.   

Edited by Free kick

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  This is worth repeating.   I would also like to hear from those who (when I suggested Akinola could start alongside David and complement Jonathan David very well)  thought that Akinola would be something like like 5th or 6th on our depth chart way behind the the likes of Cavallini and Charles Brym!!!!!  I thought this notion was laughable at the time.  More so given that no one had ever seen Brym play at that time.  Equally laughable was the notion that Cavalini was country miles ahead of Akinola on the depth chart even though I showed MLS scoring stats showing very much the contrary.

Even this year Akinola has scored three goals in something like 560 mins while Cav has only 2 goals in almost double the minutes played.   

Cav has three as well - putting him in a six-way tie for top scoring Canadian.

Cavallini adds a ton to any team he’s on. Goals per minute does not tell the story. He’s also clinical for Canada but was arguably our #1 striker before he even scored a goal for us based off his overall play. 
He’s in a tough spot for Vancouver - tough to judge him when he’s picking off scraps. 

21 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Cavallini adds a ton to any team he’s on. Goals per minute does not tell the story. He’s also clinical for Canada but was arguably our #1 striker before he even scored a goal for us based off his overall play. 
He’s in a tough spot for Vancouver - tough to judge him when he’s picking off scraps. 

Cheers!  I will give you credit for standing up and being counted. Cavallini must have scored tonight then. 
 By the way,  I still think Akinola will start for Herdman.   Maybe not in the first window,  But eventually.  He is strong on the ball,  has a good finish and good scoring rate.    

Edited by Free kick

25 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Agreed. Cavallini gets no service at Vancouver and gets his goals from scraps more often than not. I am willing to look past his club scoring record so long as he keeps putting them away for Canada.

As for Ayo, I feel he'll get his chances. I would be surprised if Herdman didn't give him at least 1 start. I have the feeling he's going to thrive for Canada. Like Cavallini, he doesn't need many chances to find the back of the net, and he is guaranteed to get chances playing with Davies, Buchanan, Pasher, Laryea, etc. 

35 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Uhh.. he hasn't even played a game yet. Why is this written like it's a fact he's gonna be a regular starter with David and picked over Cav? Maybe just wait a little...

I'm sure he'll see something in Gold Cup, but beyond that it's still very unclear.