Ayo Akinola

masster

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

Akinola scored tonight for TFC. It was the first time I didn't have a muted response to a goal from him. I was fully happy he scored. If Canada goes with a first team in the Gold Cup it will be the Killer D's (Davies and David). If we go for a B team it could be the Akinduo (Akindele, and Akinola, both who scored in the TFC vs Orlando game tonight).

I’d argue Akinola is good enough to be a starter on our team if we used a formation to fit him in as I think right now he’s our best #10. Larin is better at winger and David is more of a #9. Cavallini just isn’t in good form right now.

1 hour ago, ADP10 said:

I’d argue Akinola is good enough to be a starter on our team if we used a formation to fit him in as I think right now he’s our best #10. Larin is better at winger and David is more of a #9. Cavallini just isn’t in good form right now.

Cavallini is not in a good form because he doesn't get any service in Vancouver

In the case of strikers, I think people confuse "being in good form" with scoring goals.

It's easy to point to Cavallini's lack of goal production and say he's out of form, but he's starved of service in Vancouver and still does everything else quite well.

Ayo at age 21 has 12 MLS goals in 1740 minutes and has apparently committed to us. He is behind Sargent, Dike, Siebatcheu, and maybe Hoppe but you can't really say it's by a whole lot.

Sargent, Dike, and Hoppe all slumped to finish the season, even Dike. Sargent and Hoppe may be playing in the 2. Bundesliga. Siebatcheu is a high-floor solid option (keep in mind developed by France and represented their U21s, not by the US) who may be their top option for a match today but he is already 25. It is still entirely possible Akinola has a career on par with those guys if not slightly better.

Don't forget, talking about striker depth chart, that both David and Larin could play in a midfield attacking role. As well, they have discipline defending, and are successful attacking out of it. David is quite a good passer and does not lose the ball easily. I don't mind putting as many of the best players on the pitch at once, even if David or Larin were in the middle in a 4-4-2. So if he stays on his game Ayo could be as legit an option as Cavallini, or could also be put into a middle position.

7 hours ago, VinceA said:

I think Tesho has earned it he's been decently productive this season and he's versatile.

I should of been clearer. What I meant was both their family names start with a "A" therefore if they start together their line would be called the A team. I was not suggesting that they would be our best strike pair hence the smiley face. I was trying to be funny. Sorry for the confusion.

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

It’s probably mentioned already but that extra muscle or whatever he’s done to his body has really affected his game badly. I’m not impressed. 

I appreciate that he’s improved his holdup play as a result of bulking up. Hard to tell if he’s slowed down with the extra muscle (might have, slightly). 

My bottom line is he’s got to find his finishing boots. Get on to chances in the box and put them away. I see too many opportunities he gets that just come and go, rather casually.

The hype train got over accelerated after MLS is Back and is now coming back to earth. 

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

I should of been clearer. What I meant was both their family names start with a "A" therefore if they start together their line would be called the A team. I was not suggesting that they would be our best strike pair hence the smiley face. I was trying to be funny. Sorry for the confusion.

I thought it was pretty clear what you were saying. How funny it was is another discussion altogether…. 😉😄

2 hours ago, ag futbol said:

I appreciate that he’s improved his holdup play as a result of bulking up. Hard to tell if he’s slowed down with the extra muscle (might have, slightly). 

My bottom line is he’s got to find his finishing boots. Get on to chances in the box and put them away. I see too many opportunities he gets that just come and go, rather casually.

The hype train got over accelerated after MLS is Back and is now coming back to earth. 

He’s scored in consecutive MLS games.

Yeah, I think folks are being a bit hard on him.  He was out of action for quite a while coming into this season.  He seems to be in the upswing and had a great MLS is back tournament.  I agree with the idea that we may be getting him to commit when he isn’t at a peak moment but I still think he could be an important part of the program not just in the distant future but fairly soon.  

The reality is that he is still only 21.   We really have no idea where his ceiling is.  And an MLS-quality striker at 21 is pretty impressive.  

6 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

Did you watch the games or just look at the box score? Cause I can tell you the stat sheet is not telling the whole story here. 

He’s whiffing on a good number of chances.

I saw him score both times. The one on Saturday was exactly what you say you want him to do: he followed up on the rebound on Richie Laryea's shot and beat everyone else to the header.

As a young striker he's going to miss chances. But if he's consistently putting the ball into the net it won't matter as much.

2 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Did you watch the games or just look at the box score? Cause I can tell you the stat sheet is not telling the whole story here. 

He’s whiffing on a good number of chances.

That also happens to Lewandowski and David.  Ayo's been sidelined for quite some time, has some rust to shake off, its only normal.  Takes a while for the muscle memory and reflexes to come back.  He'll be just fine, if not great.

• 2 weeks later...