Ayo Akinola

masster

17 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Uhh.. he hasn't even played a game yet.

Niether did Brym.  But that didn’t stop some from suggesting that Brym would be a better choice than Akinola.  We all have have seen what Akinola can do playing with and against Concacaf-like opponents while in MLS.  Until the Olympic qualifiers,  no one had ever seen Brym.  And when we finally saw Brym?  Well I will just leave it at that!!!!   

Edited by Free kick

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

Niether did Brym.  But that didn’t stop some from suggesting that Brym would be a better choice than Akinola.  We all have have seen what Akinola can do playing with and against Concacaf-like opponents while in MLS.  Until the Olympic qualifiers,  no one had ever seen Brym.  And when we finally saw Brym?  Well I will just leave it at that!!!!   

I recall starting arguments for suggesting Akinola was better and ahead of Bair 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, PopePouri said:

If Vanney was a mediocre coach, we would be failing in LA.

Ya, he goes to another Top3 salary cap team, plus most teams experience a positive new coach effect.  Vanney got 1 title with a team that had SIGNIFICANTLY greater resources than every other team for the time he was coach… a great coach would have won more titles and also progressed/developed some young players.  

2 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Ya, he goes to another Top3 salary cap team, plus most teams experience a positive new coach effect.  Vanney got 1 title with a team that had SIGNIFICANTLY greater resources than every other team for the time he was coach… a great coach would have won more titles and also progressed/developed some young players.  

Armas also coached that team with SIGNIFICANTLY greater resources.  Its actually harder (because there is more pressure) to coach a a team with a lot of resources behind it because the expectations are higher.  

I expect we might see Akinola start the 2nd game in the Gold Cup as part of squad rotation. The last time that we didn’t have David, Herdman started Cavallini as the #9 with Larin playing underneath him, rather than as Larin as the #9. I think Ayo would come on for Cav in the first game as a sub and then start in the 2nd in the #9 role

6 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I recall starting arguments for suggesting Akinola was better and ahead of Bair 🤷‍♂️

I recall them too….but again at that time, Akinola had no first team minutes. While Bair had scored a worldie and had a few assists. Brym had a good showing in January (albeit against Barbados)….the perspective on them changed drastically after MLS is Back, and the Olympic showings or lack there of.

10 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Armas also coached that team with SIGNIFICANTLY greater resources.  Its actually harder (because there is more pressure) to coach a a team with a lot of resources behind it because the expectations are higher.  

Which brings me back to my original point in the flawed logic of the original Vanney booster who’s post I replied to.  You can’t conclude that Vanney is a master coach based on the fact that a bad coach who failed at another MLS team, goes on and fails again… all you can imply is that Vanney is better than Armas, which I’m not denying.  The one thing they do have in common is that they seemed to not care one iota about developing young talent.

What kind of argument is that it’s harder to get results with better players?  So it’s more difficult to win the Premiership coaching ManCity than Burnley?… give me a break.  TFC had the second highest payroll and lost in the first round of the playoffs to the 7th seed in the East. They had all of their big guns playing that game and still lost. In past postings I’ve posted many of Vanney’s positives and also brought up the negatives - many which directly apply to a forum on the CMNT. 

11 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Uhmmm no.  All that’s been proven is that Armas was a horrendous coach.

It's still early in the season, but Vanney's LA Galaxy team is fourth in the league right now with a roster that's mostly the same as the one that finished 20th last year.

34 minutes ago, RS said:

It's still early in the season, but Vanney's LA Galaxy team is fourth in the league right now with a roster that's mostly the same as the one that finished 20th last year.

They are second in the league on a points per game basis. With,  as you said,  pretty much the same roster.  With three MLS finals appearances,   One title.   Plus supporters shields,  CCL final appearance lost on Pk.   I could go on and on.  But thats not enough for some people. 

Edited by Free kick

14 minutes ago, costarg said:

OK fine, whatever, but are they playing the young Canadians???

So is that the absolute ONLY thing thats counts?   He has played Akinola, Osorio, Laryea.  Plus countless others who werent as successfull but still got a chance.  And got an opportunity to land else where when they left.  What more do you want?   Trott out 4-5 teenager every game?   Get your ass killed by your opponents,  then end up getting fired because your results were not there?   And, at the same time, destroy the confidence of the you players that you are trying to develop.

I want to see cnds develop as much as anyone but there no coaching job in the world whose job description says to play players of a ceratin nationality regardless of skill ability or potential.

the next coach will do the same thing.  And so will the one after that.  

undre Vanney, we saw Osorio, Laryea and Akinola develop.   Threee starters.   Thats better than alot of other teams.  Including the three other Canadian teams.

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I suspect it would be one of those non-celebrations where you outwardly show little emotion but inside are pretty damn pleased with yourself.  

You're probably right but him doing an Adebayoresque slide after scoring a late winner in front of the yanks would surely go down as a top 5 moment in Canada Soccer history and a Canadian Heritage moment.

3 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

You're probably right but him doing an Adebayoresque slide after scoring a late winner in front of the yanks would surely go down as a top 5 moment in Canada Soccer history and a Canadian Heritage moment.

Yeah, but Adebayor put up with a lot off bulls hit before that so as much as I disliked Arsenal I was happy for him personally.   

Ayo got nothing but respect from the US setup so there isn’t any grudge there.   Hell, we should send them a case of maple syrup as a thank you to them for grooming him.   

39 minutes ago, Free kick said:

So is that the absolute ONLY thing thats counts?   He has played Akinola, Osorio, Laryea.  Plus countless others who werent as successfull but still got a chance.  And got an opportunity to land else where when they left.  What more do you want?   Trott out 4-5 teenager every game?   Get your ass killed by your opponents,  then end up getting fired because your results were not there?   And, at the same time, destroy the confidence of the you players that you are trying to develop.

I want to see cnds develop as much as anyone but there no coaching job in the world whose job description says to play players of a ceratin nationality regardless of skill ability or potential.

the next coach will do the same thing.  And so will the one after that.  

undre Vanney, we saw Osorio, Laryea and Akinola develop.   Threee starters.   Thats better than alot of other teams.  Including the three other Canadian teams.

Dude, he's an American coach, on an American team, I was just kidding around and exaggerating the fact that that's all that really matters to lots of us.  I thought I was obvious, sorry about that.

But ya, I still don't agree with your post.  I'm not inline with the "just win now" mentality.  A REALLY good coach accomplishes both, it's not one or the other.

Edited by costarg

1 minute ago, costarg said:

Dude, he's an American coach, on an American team, I was just kidding around and exaggerating the fact that that's all that really matters to lots of us.  I thought I was obvious, sorry about that.

I always love it when people come to the CMNT fan forum and question some of us for wanting to see our young players develop.