Ayo Akinola

masster

4 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I'm happy he joined us but it's a little disappointing to hear him say that the major reason he did was because it's better for his career.

I was also disappointed listening to that interview, but obviously it’s the reality of his situation.  Sounds very different than the reasons Duane Rollins was claiming he heard were the result of his switch.

8 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I was also disappointed listening to that interview, but obviously it’s the reality of his situation.  Sounds very different than the reasons Duane Rollins was claiming he heard were the result of his switch.

What did Rollins claim?

Edited by MtlMario

I am pleased he has finally decided to represent Canada, it was difficult for me to cheer for him while he was committed to the American program but considered a Canadian by MLS and V's Cup rules, hopefully he improves on his form and becomes a useful option for us! I will point out that much of the hype that comes with him is based on a few goals in an early season tournament vs opponents in various states of match fitness after lockdown and 2 of those goals were scored after what could have been fouls called against him, that seems so long ago, he hasn't regained that form but he is only 21 and coming off a long injury lay off so the best may be yet to come!

35 minutes ago, gator said:

it was difficult for me to cheer for him while he was committed to the American program but considered a Canadian by MLS and V's Cup rules

Small correction: He was considered American by V's Cup rules. In 2019, Vanney pointed out how ridiculous he thought the rule was considering Akinola was a Canadian citizen. (I disagree with his take, by the way)

Now that Akinola's once again eligible to represent Canada, he'll be considered Canadian for V's Cup purposes.

1 hour ago, PopePouri said:

It's worth watching the TSN mini-doc if you haven't. I can't help but root for the guy no matter what country he chooses to represent.

I didn’t watch it while he was still on the fence.  Just watched it now.   Pretty amazing.  Happy things are working out for him and his family.   

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Either way, he is here.   Now that he is committed, I fully expect him to give it 100%.  Not everyone will bleed maple syrup.   The main thing is that they show up when called upon and do their part.  

I agree but it would of been nice to hear that he did bleed maple syrup (even if it wasn't true). Tell the people what they want to hear.😁

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Do you mean numbers for Canada? He’s already putting up similar numbers in MLS. Akindele is putting up better numbers than both. It comes down to how they play for Canada though. 

Given Ayo has never played for Canada, there's only one way to find out 

6 hours ago, gator said:

I will point out that much of the hype that comes with him is based on a few goals in an early season tournament vs opponents in various states of match fitness after lockdown and 2 of those goals were scored after what could have been fouls called against him, that seems so long ago, 

huh

Edited by LeoH037

2 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Glad he finally made the choice he wanted to all along. Biggest issue was Vanney at TFC basically running interference and pushing him to USA program. Once he was out of the way only a matter of time. 

A couple of years ago Vanney was blasting the CSA for not doing more to convince Ayo of the Canadian program.

28 minutes ago, Kent said:

He has scored 12 goals in his career, and 5 of them came in the first 2 games of the MLS is Back tournament last year after a 4 month shut down. Gator's take isn't crazy in my opinion.

That’s why I found his interview describing how he will work with Davies and David so well funny.  Slow down there, Larin and Cav are both currently ahead of you.

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

so that somehow makes them count less? By extension of that logic, do goals at the start of a season count less too?

"David got all his goals when Lille was already consolidated at the top of the league and most weren't even game winners", there's quite a fount of disparaging narratives if you want. 

Point is, Ayo played and scored for the US 7 months ago. They seemed fine with his insistence on scoring at the wrong time. 

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

A couple of years ago Vanney was blasting the CSA for not doing more to convince Ayo of the Canadian program.

The first page of THIS thread, when we first started talking about him in 2015 is about how TFC funneled him into the USA youth program to help his development.  ANd you can argue pros and cons of that if you want, in the long run it worked out for Ayo ans TFC, and he developed into an MLS player.   But anything Vanney said years later after the horse was out of the barn is disingenuous at best.  He was complaining that CSA didnt fight the TFC coaches/managment (ie Vanny) more about who Ayo should rep??  Yipes!!!