Ayo Akinola

masster

3 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

It's similar because it's quoting Dyer from the first article.

There's nothing wrong with that, journalistically, of course. Just pointing out that there's no new information in there.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

It's similar because it's quoting Dyer from the first article.

There's nothing wrong with that, journalistically, of course. Just pointing out that there's no new information in there.

Funny that it mentions he would need to play a game to be cap tied.  Seems like few still understand that if he submits the one time switch it’s over.  Similar to the Northern Futbol podcast going on about Guti needing to get into a game to get cap tied.

Guess I’m just surprised the people who report on this are still struggling with this concept.

Edited by trc2014

38 minutes ago, Floortom said:

For those that didn't see - this article originally said Akinola was called up to the US squad. There must be inside information from MLS that he is a call up and the writer didn't realize he was on our list and not theirs. 

I'd take this as pretty guaranteed confirmation. 

24 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Funny that it mentions he would need to play a game to be cap tied.  Seems like few still understand that if he submits the one time switch it’s over.  Similar to the Northern Futbol podcast going on about Guti needing to get into a game to get cap tied.

Guess I’m just surprised the people who report on this are still struggling with this concept.

Yes, that part is inaccurate.

Players who file a switch are cap-tied even if they never kick another ball again.

16 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Ayo is Canada Red, how do we feel ?

Happy, but not surprised.

It was shaping up this way for a while, so this feels anti-climactic, but it'll be good to have him publicly join the program, starting tomorrow. 

He should slot into 4 in our forward depth chart, behind David, Larin and Cav, but ahead of Akindele and the others.

IF it is in fact confirmed that he will be playing for Canada (which all signs are pointing to it).  Then I have to say he probably played it out very well overall.  Although, a little surprised by playing in the friendly last year with USA, I truly believe the interest with Canada (where he grew up) was strong.  He was able to play 49 youth national games with the USA and that doesn't even include playing with the U23's (which he never did).  That's probably a minimum of about 40 more games than he would ever have played with our youth programs.  In the end, it didn't land him a spot in on a bigger team outside of MLS but it definitely didn't hurt his career either.

Unfortunately, until we take our youth programs a little more seriously we are going to have wait several years on many promising dual nationals.

Edited by Corazon

Good decision, will give us some extra depth at striker which is always good. It was pretty much a foregone conclusion though so I think most of us expected it. Him and Singh are/were pretty much automatics for committing to Canada. If we can get one of Jebbison or Flores on top of that, then that would be incredible. If we manage to get both, well...

I'm hopeful Akinola can continue developing, he still has the potential for a pretty high ceiling. If I were him I'd try and get out of the dumpster fire that is Toronto and head to a lower European league and try and work his way up over there.

There was a moment during the TFC vs. Orlando where Akinola and Akindele hi-dived and hugged.  Akindele was in the additional squad roster.  I'm really happy for Ayo! Herdman letting players has done wonders attracting players to the program in subtle ways.

Also, TFC system doesn't work to Ayo's strengths at the moment.  The press has been sloppy and the attack is too compressed.  When he plays on Canada and has way better service from the wings and better build up play from the midfield you may see him break out a little with more space to operate.

55 minutes ago, Corazon said:

IF it is in fact confirmed that he will be playing for Canada (which all signs are pointing to it).  Then I have to say he probably played it out very well overall.  Although, a little surprised by playing in the friendly last year with USA, I truly believe the interest with Canada (where he grew up) was strong.  He was able to play 49 youth national games with the USA and that doesn't even include playing with the U23's (which he never did).  That's probably a minimum of about 40 more games than he would ever have played with our youth programs.  In the end, it didn't land him a spot in on a bigger team outside of MLS but it definitely didn't hurt his career either.

Unfortunately, until we take our youth programs a little more seriously we are going to have wait several years on many promising dual nationals.

Good post.

In addition to all of that, he was able to make a firm choice by the age of 21, which is great for him and Canada. 

Hoilett for example waited until he was 25 and Vitoria was even later than that.

He deserves credit for not only playing the system well, but also for not letting things drag on.