Ayo Akinola

masster

1 minute ago, Stryker911 said:

He is penciled into Doyle's starting CF at the Golden Cup for the US in today's mls article.

Just an attempt to stir the pot. We just made the Ocho and we play them in the gold cup. They are threatened by our come up, otherwise they'd happily let us pick up their scraps.

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

From Doyle's article:

If Daryl Dike (Orlando City) isn’t sold, I have to imagine he’ll be at this tournament. I don’t know if this would come at Ayo’s expense -- that might push him into Canada’s arms, though their center forward depth chart is actually more crowded than ours at the moment

I think talk about our center forward depth being crowded relative to theirs is overblown.

David and Larin would arguably be 1 and 2 in their depth chart, but Sargent, Dike, Zardes, and the French born guy at Young Boys are all ahead of Akinola by some distance. Hoppe and Altidore would crowd things even further. Ferreira and Soto are names we need to consider also.

For us he is 4th at best, 5th at worst if you think he's behind Akindele, but for the USA he's 4th and best and like 10th at worst.

There's no way he is 10 spots down in the Canadian pecking order, so I don't buy this argument that we are deeper. At the top of the chart we are stronger, but they are waaaay deeper.

Edited by Obinna

7 hours ago, El Diego said:

From Doyle's article:

If Daryl Dike (Orlando City) isn’t sold, I have to imagine he’ll be at this tournament. I don’t know if this would come at Ayo’s expense -- that might push him into Canada’s arms, though their center forward depth chart is actually more crowded than ours at the moment

What caught my attention was that almost his entire proposed team for the GC, and according to him the group after the core top 15 depth chart, were almost all from MLS. Only a couple exceptions. Unlike us, they do speak of pros, we are talking about quite a few youngsters, with less experience. But still: their depth is not extraordinary. 

We definitely need to take points off the US in this round, including in that first away game when they may be coming off a poor match in El Salvador.

From an Atlantic article yesterday, their predictions for US forwards. Make of it what you will.

Locked in: Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Niko Gioacchini (Caen), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew)
Pending club status: Daryl Dike (Orlando City), Matthew Hoppe (Schalke)
In the hunt: Ayo Akinola (Toronto FC), Tyler Boyd (Beşiktaş), Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes), Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers), Rubio Rubin (Real Salt Lake)

Our picks: Arriola, Cowell, Dike, Gioacchini, Hoppe, Zardes

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That’s what I am wondering.  The same would be required it Jebbison and Flores, which would be pretty huge.  

I don't think it would be required of Jebbison and Flores as they never played official matches for other countries.

Akinola and Singh seem to have switched, especially as they're absent from the USA and T&T rosters.

Canada is in the Oct., this kid grew up and has spent 99% of his life in the Toronto area and plays pro soccer for his hometown team . If all this still can’t get him to play for Canada then bye bye . Look he has talent and had a decent season last year for TFC , but he still doesn’t impress me like a Tajon does for example maybe it’s just me . If we lose him so be it we have some good talent up front .

Edited by SoccMan

He wasn't included in a 60 man roster for the US. Lets pretend he hasn't filed his one time switch, which he almost certainly has, if he isn't considered a top 60 talent for US, yet we want him, there is no decision left. He is ours.

Now he needs to pick up the type of form that can justify his inclusion to make an impact with us. 

25 minutes ago, toontownman said:

He wasn't included in a 60 man roster for the US. Lets pretend he hasn't filed his one time switch, which he almost certainly has, if he isn't considered a top 60 talent for US, yet we want him, there is no decision left. He is ours.

Now he needs to pick up the type of form that can justify his inclusion to make an impact with us. 

Ayo has a massive opportunity here, and the turmoil with Jozy at TFC could also benefit him at club level, this is is his chance to really take his career to a next level both club wise and internationally.

17 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think talk about our center forward depth being crowded relative to theirs is overblown.

David and Larin would arguably be 1 and 2 in their depth chart, but Sargent, Dike, Zardes, and the French born guy at Young Boys are all ahead of Akinola by some distance. Hoppe and Altidore would crowd things even further. Ferreira and Soto are names we need to consider also.

For us he is 4th at best, 5th at worst if you think he's behind Akindele, but for the USA he's 4th and best and like 10th at worst.

There's no way he is 10 spots down in the Canadian pecking order, so I don't buy this argument that we are deeper. At the top of the chart we are stronger, but they are waaaay deeper.

The US has a lot more warm bodies in the striker position. But that is one position where a warm body isn't good enough. Better to have just one very good striker in form and no depth.

Dike has been the most consistent in showing promise in the past year. Sargent has flat lined but is good if the US wants to play with a false 9. Siebatcheu comes in if Dike doesn't deliver. Zardes/Altidore are just last minute plug ins such as due to injuries. The others aren't yet ready to be a starter in WCQ.

Akinola scored tonight for TFC. It was the first time I didn't have a muted response to a goal from him. I was fully happy he scored. If Canada goes with a first team in the Gold Cup it will be the Killer D's (Davies and David). If we go for a B team it could be the Akinduo (Akindele, and Akinola, both who scored in the TFC vs Orlando game tonight).