Ayo Akinola

masster

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Never meant to imply they underrated David, it would just hilarious to have not 1, but 2 American born strikers that end up being good not play for them. And regarding Ayo, disagree, as soon as the shiny new European players showed up Ayo seems to have become a 2nd though. Im sure Ayo has a thing or two to prove.

Yeah there is no reason a bottom half L2 striker should be ahead of Ayo unless he’s lighting it up. That’s kind of insulting. 

5 hours ago, RS said:

He was already cap-tied .

I know I'm being pedantic on this, but Akinola was 'switch-tied'. I don't think the distinction is that important in practical terms (both mean you're stuck with that country), but it might help people wrap their heads around things.

For example, Jonathan David was cap-tied (not sure exactly which match, may have been Gold Cup) as he never filed a one-time switch. He cannot file a one-time switch now that he satisfied the rules for being cap-tied.

Meanwhile, Ayo Akinola was switch-tied the moment his one-time switch was approved. At that point he could only play for Canada, no matter if he ever actually did (unless of course FIFA came in with some new, retroactive rule which hey I wouldn't put it past them)

I stand corrected on the above, the 'one-time switch' doesn't technically exist as if a player switches federations he can switch back, provided he never played for the team he initially switched to. Thanks to @maplebanana for correcting this on the next page.

23 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I know I'm being pedantic on this, but Akinola was 'switch-tied'.

Yes, you are being pedantic 😂

I don't think "switch-tied" is an actual term that's used, although I get what you mean by pointing out the distinction.

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

Who knows if it's intentional, but I'm going to interpret Akinola's first Canadian national team start coming against the USMNT as a big "eff you" to our neighbours down south. 

Intentional like them playing "born in the USA" for our players to come out to at halftime? 

Looking forward to Sunday. They looked immense last night as much as Martinique were overwhelmed and tired. They have a lot of pace and power in attack. Hope we can handle that and give back our own.

5 hours ago, RS said:

He was already cap-tied .

I thought so…but I also thought someone showed the FIFA rule that stated that if they don’t play a game after the switch, they can still switch back.

Edit: @maplebanana thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Shway

10 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Intentional like them playing "born in the USA" for our players to come out to at halftime? 

Looking forward to Sunday. They looked immense last night as much as Martinique were overwhelmed and tired. They have a lot of pace and power in attack. Hope we can handle that and give back our own.

They played it at the final whistle of the match too. I'm glad someone else picked up on it. I'm also imagining that it was disgruntled USA fans that were being shhhhh'd while booing after our third goal aswell.

That song is political warfare/ propaganda music, and borderline racist “going to kill the yellow man” …they’ll cancel everything else, but not that!

USA, USA, USA go f yourselves….

man I’m praying for us to get a result.

Edited by Shway
I was talking straight out of my ass.

3 hours ago, RS said:

Nah. It's called a one-time switch for a reason.

Shoutout the man who tried to pervert the rules…I’ll find the quote/guy somewhere. 

Edit: that guy was right.

Edited by Shway

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

That song is political warfare/ propaganda music, and borderline racist “going to kill the yellow man” …they’ll cancel everything else, but not that!

USA, USA, USA go f yourselves….

man I’m praying for us to get a result.

I think you've totally misinterpreted that song.

It's the exact opposite of what you are saying.

Just now, narduch said:

I think you've totally misinterpreted that song.

It's the exact opposite of what you are saying.

I was reaching horribly bad huh? Thanks for the call out.

Ill digress….it is about basically being drafted to war, and coming back with the sorrows of it.

The real perverse thing about 'Born in the U.S.A.' is that it does sound like a rah-rah pump up anthem, and when you belt the hook you're really into it, but at first you really don't know what it's about. You're just blindly into the chanting, which can mask the truth of the verses, just like blind patriotism masks the truth about your government, its decisions, etc. The chorus is supposed to be defiant, but at first blush it's supportive of the Man.

I'm generally take it or leave it with Bruce, but that song reveals quite a bit about the USA (and other people too, not trying to be too judgmental).

9 minutes ago, El Diego said:

The real perverse thing about 'Born in the U.S.A.' is that it does sound like a rah-rah pump up anthem, and when you belt the hook you're really into it, but at first you really don't know what it's about. You're just blindly into the chanting, which can mask the truth of the verses, just like blind patriotism masks the truth about your government, its decisions, etc. The chorus is supposed to be defiant, but at first blush it's supportive of the Man.

I'm generally take it or leave it with Bruce, but that song reveals quite a bit about the USA (and other people too, not trying to be too judgmental).

Just like Neil Young's Rockin in the Free World.

Edited by narduch

6 minutes ago, El Diego said:

When Ayo took a knee after scoring for the US in December, that was the clearest statement you can make as someone born in the US but choosing immediately afterwards to represent another country. That is how I understood it.

Thing is, our country also needs someone to sing our glories with the biting irony we deserve as well. We haven't got there, musically speaking, and are a long way off still I fear.