Ayo Akinola

masster

Always rooted for him, feels good I can now do so 110% without any reservation. Ayo is only 21 and a damn good striker, were it not for the emergence of someone like David (who is exceptional/elite) we would all be losing our shit right now. He reads the game well, and brings a physical presence/ability to out muscle defenders that neither Larin/David bring, plus has better mobility than Cavallini. He's the perfect player for CONCACAF, where teams will get physical and we'll need all the depth we can get.

Edited by LeoH037

I am extremely happy about this.  I have been a fan since he lit up the MLS is Back tournament.   Kid is still only 21 so any concept that he has found his level is way too premature.  This a a great “get” for Canada and yet another piece of the puzzle.  A guy who can be a starting striker in MLS at 21 is still a great prospect for us and could be huge in years to come.  Cav won’t be around for too many more years and given the age difference Ayo probably has 5 more years left in him than Larin.  This is a guy who will help our program for the next decade.  Very excited about this addition.

Woo hoo!

@Shway one year ago:

On 7/3/2020 at 12:25 PM, Shway said:

This thread is overzealous. 

Ayo is not worthy of CMNT call-up, nor is he close to the quality we have at U-23 level.
He hasn't done much to impress me to have these conversations of "will he or won't he" .

If he declares tomorrow that he wants to represent Canada - then great! but he still has a lot of work to do for there to be any further covnersations.

@Shway today:

45 minutes ago, Shway said:

Lettsssss fucking gooo!!!

Mind you, this was no surprise for me, but it’s still exhilarating. 

Even if he doesn’t pan out, we still didn’t lose him to those fuckers down south.

:D

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I won’t lie, part of me is happy that the possible scenario of Akinola ending up a very good player but playing for the US is no longer possible. That would hurt too much to watch. 

His two best traits I’ve noticed are his strength and ability to make runs, he always seems to find space behind defenders very well, it’s a matter of someone being able to find the pass. Sometimes his finishing can be poor (his shots go pretty wide sometimes), but at the same time he has already proven he can score at the MLS level. He also seems out of shape so far this year but I’m hoping it’s just from whatever injury/illness he had. 

I’m not gonna call him a sure thing since I’ve learned my lesson from Tabla but he could be a big addition to the team for years to come. 

36 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-soccer-ayo-akinola-toronto-fc-cmnt-canmnt-usmnt-gold-cup-world-cup-1.1662276

Some credit due to Herdman here, less so to whoever at TSN chose the photo

I admit I wasn't sold on Herdman initially. Even now I often wonder what our program would look like if we shelled out heaps of money for a big name manager. However, I love the pride he has created in the program. He has done great with duals, and seems to have X factor for our situation of building around our young talent. I really hope he can do the same with Dias, Flores and Jebbsion etc. In my fantasy dream world I'd love to have him take us to Qatar and then watch Ancelotti swing in for a last job 2026 run ( before he retires to his Vancouver home haha)

We really needed Ayo here, he's such a big part of our future depth. I honestly didn't think he would make the switch.

11 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

I admit I wasn't sold on Herdman initially. Even now I often wonder what our program would look like if we shelled out heaps of money for a big name manager. However, I love the pride he has created in the program. He has done great with duals, and seems to have X factor for our situation of building around our young talent. I really hope he can do the same with Dias, Flores and Jebbsion etc. In my fantasy dream world I'd love to have him take us to Qatar and then watch Ancelotti swing in for a last job 2026 run ( before he retires to his Vancouver home haha)

We really needed Ayo here, he's such a big part of our future depth. I honestly didn't think he would make the switch.

so you reward him for taking us to Qatar by showing him the boot..? Also, what makes you think a "big name manager" would be as invested and knowledgeful of the Canadian soccer landscape as Herdman seems to be, and be interested in not just coaching duties, but also growing the sport in the country? (i.e. it wouldn't be just another job for them). 

Just now, LeoH037 said:

so you reward him for taking us to Qatar by showing him the boot..? Also, what makes you think a "big name manager" would be as invested and knowledgeful of the Canadian soccer landscape as Herdman seems to be, and be interested in not just coaching duties, but also growing the sport in the country? (i.e. it wouldn't be just another job for them). 

I'm just kidding around, hence my pretext "In my fantasy dream world". Sometimes its fun just to have banter, you know? Maybe Herdman could do so well with us in Qatar he leaves for job in England. All I'm saying is it would be cool to see if someone like Ancelletti or (insert any big name) could take us to another level. Do I actually think that will happen, not a chance! 

For the record, I do think Herdman is the man for the job right now. Just spitballin' here

I more or less meant the question in general, as there is still a cohort of supporters that seems genuinely convinced we'd be ahead with a better known manager. 

I.e. (from a free TSN article)

Akinola calls Herdman and the potential to play for him "the X-factor" in deciding to come aboard.

"For John, he's really made it clear since [last summer's] MLS Is Back [tournament] that all he wanted to do was [get] me to join Canada," Akinola said. "And I think for me, it was the clarity that in what he saying to me. It made a whole lot of sense for me to show that he cared, day in and day out. [He] frequently messaged me, phone calls just to check how I am. After every TFC game, I'd get a message from him. Just to see that, to see that a coach is invested in you - in this day and age, it's very rare for a coach to devote [time] to a player at all because now it's more like 'What can you do for me now?' in a league like this. I feel like, for me, just to have a coach that was invested and devoted in me and had the belief and trust in me throughout many, many months, that was X-factor."

Edited by LeoH037

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

@Shway one year ago….

:D

Don’t you dare make me look crazy lol.

But seriously what a difference a year can make huh. 
Mind you at this time he had no appearances for TFC…and a few guys who have now regressed were performing and playing.

Tbh I’m more hyped about the fact we “won” him over our continental rivals.

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I more or less meant the question in general, as there is still a cohort of supporters that seems genuinely convinced we'd be ahead with a better known manager. 

I.e. (from a free TSN article)

Akinola calls Herdman and the potential to play for him "the X-factor" in deciding to come aboard.

"For John, he's really made it clear since [last summer's] MLS Is Back [tournament] that all he wanted to do was [get] me to join Canada," Akinola said. "And I think for me, it was the clarity that in what he saying to me. It made a whole lot of sense for me to show that he cared, day in and day out. [He] frequently messaged me, phone calls just to check how I am. After every TFC game, I'd get a message from him. Just to see that, to see that a coach is invested in you - in this day and age, it's very rare for a coach to devote [time] to a player at all because now it's more like 'What can you do for me now?' in a league like this. I feel like, for me, just to have a coach that was invested and devoted in me and had the belief and trust in me throughout many, many months, that was X-factor."

That is a pretty important passage for the Herdman skeptics on here.  I get that he (and the team) are still proving they can do it on the biggest stages, but there can be no doubt the effort Herdman is putting in to build a deep team.  Recruiting duals like this doesn’t happen by chance and this quote (to me) shows Herdman’s determination and commitment to building our pool with high quality players.  

I was initially skeptical when he was brought on but I have to say he has won me over.  Getting to the Ocho isn’t the big prize but it is pretty huge.  Throw in the attention to detail when it comes to recruitment and I am a convert.  Bring on the sizzle.  

Interesting comment towards the end of that video about his TFC Canadian teammates not putting any pressure on him to play for Canada, which in the end helped persuade him to play for Canada.

Also, can't help be curious about what the US fans might make of his comments, particularly hearing him talk about Herdman being so invested in him as a coach, presumably putting in a lot more effort to persuade him than his US counterpart, Gregg Ber-falter

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Interesting comment towards the end of that video about his TFC Canadian teammates not putting any pressure on him to play for Canada, which in the end helped persuade him to play for Canada.

Also, can't help be curious about what the US fans might make of his comments, particularly hearing him talk about Herdman being so invested in him as a coach, presumably putting in a lot more effort to persuade him than his US counterpart, Gregg Ber-falter

Jayden Nelson said they teased him about it everyday so I think that’s just lip service. 

31 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Jayden Nelson said they teased him about it everyday so I think that’s just lip service. 

Just goes to show how much BS the players sling in these interviews.  Who knows what goes on behind the scenes and you wont find out for years afterwards when the player is retired and the coach is gone.  

6 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Cava is going to have other thoughts on his comments on immediately being #3 with Phonzie and David.

Yeah Cavallini is ahead of Akinola until proven otherwise. 16 goals in his last 15 caps, 2 against the top teams in the region. He is a sure fire call up.. Akinola may not be with a full squad. Great that he’s joined us though.

18 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah Cavallini is ahead of Akinola until proven otherwise. 16 goals in his last 15 caps, 2 against the top teams in the region. He is a sure fire call up.. Akinola may not be with a full squad. Great that he’s joined us though.

I think if Akinola regains his form from last year (I have full faith he will) and starts putting numbers in MLS similar to Cavallini, questions will be asked. The cool thing is that he is ours now, and with every CMNT player, I want him to succeed. The situation at TFC might work out in his favor, with Jozy likely on the way out. I think if given a chance Ayo can grow into a suitable replacement, and who knows, he is still only 21.

7 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I think if Akinola regains his form from last year (I have full faith he will) and starts putting numbers in MLS similar to Cavallini, questions will be asked. The cool thing is that he is ours now, and with every CMNT player, I want him to succeed. The situation at TFC might work out in his favor, with Jozy likely on the way out. I think if given a chance Ayo can grow into a suitable replacement, and who knows, he is still only 21.

Do you mean numbers for Canada? He’s already putting up similar numbers in MLS. Akindele is putting up better numbers than both. It comes down to how they play for Canada though.