Ayo Akinola

masster

In 2014 he played for the Brampton Blast, who won the Ontario Indoor Cup final in Jan. 2014 (his TFC teammate Daniel Mun was also on the team):

http://insidesoccermagazine.ca/four-provincial-champions-crowned-past-weekend/

He was already being called to the US U14 Boys squad last year and was listed as part of TFC.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/56940/us-under-14-boys-national-team-roster.html

This is what he looks like:

http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/68797515/73375213-68797604/69747356.html

Interesting, but TFC's 2000's have a USSDA page and shows that they played 3 games last fall and won all 3 of their games by a combined 8-0 score. Was this some kind of MLS youth tournament?

http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/68797515/73375213-68797604/TEAM.html

Edited by jpg75

• 10 months later...

Just saw him play for USA U17 against Brazil in France. Scored an injury time equaliser. Looked a decent prospect, bit raw but pacey and annoying for defenders to play against. Born in Brampton, ON.

EDIT:
Full match can be re-wachted here. He wears number 7.

Edited by SCF08

Is he eligible for Canada?

As far as i remember if you were eligible for canada and choose to represent someone else you were no longer welcome in the academy, maybe that changed but i would have expected someone to make a stink about it by now.

7 minutes ago, pint said:

Is he eligible for Canada?

As far as i remember if you were eligible for canada and choose to represent someone else you were no longer welcome in the academy, maybe that changed but i would have expected someone to make a stink about it by now.

He was born in Canada so I'm pretty sure he must be eligible to play for Canada if he chooses to do so.

6 minutes ago, SCF08 said:

He was born in Canada so I'm pretty sure he must be eligible to play for Canada if he chooses to do so.

Hadn't seen that he was born here, just that he lives here now.

Hopefully someone that has a chance to talk with bez or manning can ask about this.

I did heaps of digging on him a while back. I think I found some weird chat website where you submit Q's and kids answer them - one was on where he was born. Anyways - I'm 99% sure he was born in the US (Detroit I think) and moved here. But IIRC he has a younger brother who was born here so he likely won't be repping the US.

On 4/30/2015 at 4:19 AM, jpg75 said:

I hate that this new American management group is now allowing TFC Academy kids to represent other countries.

I'm a homer like you, but we ought to be glad that overseas academies (and even those in the US) don't adopt such an approach. I too am for TFC supporting Canadian football, but in the end they exist to win matches [insert joke here], not to please the CSA.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2016 at 4:31 AM, BCM1555362349 said:

I'm a homer like you, but we ought to be glad that overseas academies (and even those in the US) don't adopt such an approach. I too am for TFC supporting Canadian football, but in the end they exist to win matches [insert joke here], not to please the CSA.

Yep. Martin Davis is a pretty good young player with TFC II now, after moving up from the academy and he's Jamaican. As long as most of the kids are Canadian I'm not going to complain.

On 13/04/2016 at 0:42 PM, Vince193 said:

Yep. Martin Davis is a pretty good young player with TFC II now, after moving up from the academy and he's Jamaican. As long as most of the kids are Canadian I'm not going to complain.

He's Jamaican-Canadian, I believe his father was born here, reason why he has a Canadian passport. 

• 7 months later...

So I put out on Twitter that Ayo Akinola was a missed opportunity for Canada and Aaron Nielson mentioned that TFC actually encouraged him to play with the US set up.

This makes me very mad. Dude has been ridiculous for the US.

Edited by Vince193

Wait, so he was born in the States? That would make him joining the USA more tolerable. However, the encouraging to join the US national team by TFC is just deplorable and a good reason I don't spend another dime on this club. I can't wait for that CPL announcement.

Edited by Macksam

TFC want to develop the best player they can. If they can develop the next Jozy Altidore, have success and the sell him, that's their prerogative. 

I wish he played for Canada too, but that's just the way it is right now.

If anyone thinks TFC would tell this top rated prospect to hit the road due to choosing to play for the USA rather than Canada, they're crazy.

Edited by Soccerpro

5 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

TFC want to develop the best player they can. If they can develop the next Jozy Altidore, have success and the sell him, that's their prerogative. 

I wish he played for Canada too, but that's just the way it is right now.

If anyone thinks TFC would tell this top rated prospect to hit the road due to choosing to play for the USA rather than Canada, they're crazy.

Yes, but they encouraged him to rep the USA, which is unacceptable.