Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

21 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think one of Kaye or Osorio will be in Europe next year and the other will be at TFC.

BB has preferred a 4-3-3 countering setup and that requires a DM and 2 solid ranging CM’s.  

Both Kaye and Orosio are ideal at those CM roles and I see Bradley wanting to have a CMNT leader in his first choice lineup.  

It remains to be seen but I see that happening.

Rather have both Osorio and Kaye at TFC myself

• 1 month later...

While this could mean Kaye has decided he's cool with staying in MLS for the rest of his career, this could also simply be the Rapids hedging their bets on any bids post-WC so they can get some money if they decide to transfer him. Even a simple $1m is better than losing him on a free.

Edit: Granted the Rapids seemed to have screwed over Kellyn Acosta when he had interest abroad so we'll see what happens.

Edited by VinceA

17 minutes ago, VinceA said:

While this could mean Kaye has decided he's cool with staying in MLS for the rest of his career, this could also simply be the Rapids hedging their bets on any bids post-WC so they can get some money if they decide to transfer him. Even a simple $1m is better than losing him on a free.

Edit: Granted the Rapids seemed to have screwed over Kellyn Acosta when he had interest abroad so we'll see what happens.

I'd take that with a grain of salt. Clearly the offer on the table wasn't better than $550k MLS money so it couldn't have been that great. I'm sure Colorado would have preferred he go to Europe.

6 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Yet another lost opportunity for another Canadian. Johnston and Kaye deserve to be in Europe ffs.

People are acting like teams in Europe were banging down Nashville's door for Johnston when there's been nothing concrete saying he had interest. The only thing I've seen are fans talking about his rise over the year and how he could make it in Europe.

26 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Yet another lost opportunity for another Canadian. Johnston and Kaye deserve to be in Europe ffs.

This isn't a bad thing considering the country needs more examples of role player type Canadians in MLS making good money to show the younger generation its a league to strive for.

Maybe not by the 2023 new media deal, but by the next deal after that, assuming the cap and aversge player salary will actually be "Major League" at that point, we'll probably be seeing 95% of our talent coming up and staying in MLS, and that won't be a bad thing. 

Edited by Macksam

53 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Kaye was on a 250k salary, and prob got a big payday.  Kind of like Osorio..if you are in a good spot, lots of playing time and your making 600-800k a year, you are into your late 20's..well you just might stick with that eh??  Now he is set until he is 31 and can just focus on playing.   And we are not anyways near good enough that a top MLS player wont get called almost every time for Canada.   

Johnston is younger and probably has one eye on the door eh? Maybe he is hoping Mr Dairy will get him into Italy.

People getting upset at him re-signing instead of going to Europe/saying this is a missed opportunity need to give their head a shake. When you're a pro athlete there are three things you need to consider 1) level 2) lifestyle 3) money. Those might be different in importance depending on the person. 

The money one is key though. How long does the average player play until? Maybe until about 32-33. They have a limited time to make money playing the game. Especially players at Kaye's level. It's not like he's an NBA player deciding between a $15 million a year contract in a better city or a $20 million a year contract in a worse city - both contracts which would set a person up for life and impact of the lower salary is less impactful. We're talking about contracts in the hundred of thousands of dollars, where the impact of a couple extra hundred thousand dollars is huge. It's easy to say he should have gone to Europe on a soccer forum because we're not him. This isn't a FIFA2022 video game, it's real life. 

Let's say this Rapids contract pays him $500,000 for 4 years. Let's say he could have gone to Europe for $250,000 a year for 4 years. That's an extra $1 million over the four years. $1 million dollars is nothing to sneeze at. I'd gladly take that extra money, because it's a sizable amount.

It's the difference between being an average Joe working a 9-5 making sure you have enough after you retire from the sport or having a more comfortable life with more certainty after you retire. Instead of saying this is a mistake/bad opportunity, just say Congrats MAK on the new deal.

Edited by rydermike

Furthermore, this deal doesn't kill his European dream, it just means a club would have to pay a transfer fee. 

If we qualify and he plays well, a club may be willing to pay a transfer fee. How much would a European club have to pay for a 28 year old World Cup player from MLS, a few million Euros? The sort of clubs he's been previously linked to, like Genk or some clubs in the Championship, well they could easily afford that sort of fee. Pretty easy to imagine if you ask me.

43 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

500-600K??  Cripes that is what TFC paid Delgado.  I thought he would get more than that.  

I haven't seen what he's getting, don't think it's been reported (at least I haven't seen it). If you're referencing the 500k that I said in my post, I was just using an easy number to make a math point. I don't know how much he's going to make, it was just an easy number to use. I think he'll fall somewhere in the 500k-1mill range, I just used the low end to be conservative and to be easy to do numbers with for the argument 

47 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

500-600K??  Cripes that is what TFC paid Delgado.  I thought he would get more than that.  

I dont see Kaye as being much more valuable than Delgado. Pretty much the same age..Delgado likely has a somewhat better resume. Delgado is a whipping boy amongst TFC fans the same way that MAK was at LA

25 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I dont see Kaye as being much more valuable than Delgado. Pretty much the same age..Delgado likely has a somewhat better resume. Delgado is a whipping boy amongst TFC fans the same way that MAK was at LA

MAK was traded for $1 million in allocation money

31 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Kaye creates offense, which is valued in MLS (and most leagues) over the kinds of things Delgado is said to do well.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

I don’t think they’re particularly close. Kaye has been an MLS All Star and has 5x Delgado’s value on transfermarkt.. at one point he was the most valuable domestic (Can/USA) player in the league. 

I don’t know what on Delgado’s resume would trump Kaye. If it’s MLS cups, well Jordan Hamilton has them both beat. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I don’t think they’re particularly close. Kaye has been an MLS All Star and has 5x Delgado’s value on transfermarkt.. at one point he was the most valuable domestic (Can/USA) player in the league. 

I don’t know what on Delgado’s resume would trump Kaye. If it’s MLS cups, well Jordan Hamilton has them both beat. 

Jordon Hamilton was a bench player where Delgado actually played a key role in that MLS Cup and Supporters Sheild winning season. The only season where I thought Delgado should have seen the bench was last season , which was one of his worst seasons since joining TFC.

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

In terms of resume I was referring to Delgado being a former US international and Liga MX player - those hold a lot of cache in the US market. 

Not sure where to put this, but I think here is fine:

In just over a year we've had:

• Kaye swap clubs for 1M in GAM
  • Johnston swap clubs for 1M (GAM or TAM?)
  • Crepeau (rumored) to swap clubs for 1M in GAM

These are big moves by MLS standards. Our players are finally gaining recognition. These are the kinds of deals the USMNT players are involved in:

• Acosta swaps clubs for 0.55M in GAM
  • Mihailovic swaps clubs for 1M in GAM (over 3 years)
  • Zimmerman swaps clubs for 1.25M in GAM

These number also make Kamal Miller to MTL for 0.25M in GAM seem like a bargain

Edited by Obinna