Jacen Russell-Rowe

Dominic94

On 6/30/2022 at 4:12 PM, Kadenge said:

I'm not sure who is head of TFC academy, but as always the key is to hire someone who has had success previously at another academy like Dallas. They bring in the proven methodology re scouting youth talent and development. It can be a lucrative business if done right, so investing in top quality people to run the academy makes sense, especially with the talent pool in the GTA 

We cant just assume that its there is a text book template out there for success in developing talent in a region.  The Texas area, for example,  has a very large Hispanic population and that means that a great many of the kids from those cultures have game already instilled in them from a young age.   Southern Ontario is not like Texas nor is it like California, or Quebec, Or BC, or Miami.   The demographics are different.   This is just one example of how you cant just transplant methods and skills from one region and expect to have the same success in another.   Southern Ontario does very well producing NBA and NHL talent.  Does that mean that if you transplant, say the hockey people to Texas, that you will have the same success in Dallas as you do in Toronto?  of course not.

Edited by Free kick

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

We cant just assume that its there is a text book template out there for success in developing talent in a region.  The Texas area, for example,  has a very large Hispanic population and that means that a great many of the kids from those cultures have game already instilled in them from a young age.   Southern Ontario is not like Texas nor is it like California, or Quebec, Or BC, or Miami.   The demographics are different.   This is just one example of how you cant just transplant methods and skills from one region and expect to have the same success in another.   Southern Ontario does very well producing NBA and NHL talent.  Does that mean that if you transplant, say the hockey people to Texas, that you will have the same success in Dallas as you do in Toronto?  of course not.

I don't know how many Texans play hockey, but we do know that the vast majority of our men's team are from Ontario/GTA/Brampton. A lot of the kids in the area play soccer from an early age and are raised in households where family members follow the game. I know from coaching youth soccer 15+ yrs ago that there is an incredible amount of talented young soccer players in the area. If the right people are in charge at TFC academy there is no reason why they cannot turn out top level prospects/players. Hope CSB can get academies going with CPL teams  sooner rather than later.

55 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I don't know how many Texans play hockey, but we do know that the vast majority of our men's team are from Ontario/GTA/Brampton. A lot of the kids in the area play soccer from an early age and are raised in households where family members follow the game. I know from coaching youth soccer 15+ yrs ago that there is an incredible amount of talented young soccer players in the area. If the right people are in charge at TFC academy there is no reason why they cannot turn out top level prospects/players. Hope CSB can get academies going with CPL teams  sooner rather than later.

I had a conversation with one club official a couple of years ago, and they told me Forge weren’t interested in creating an academy because that often ended up with bad blood from local clubs due to taking their best players. Now that is just one person saying this, so take that for what it’s worth. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

If the right people are in charge at TFC academy there is no reason why they cannot turn out top level prospects/players. Hope CSB can get academies going with CPL teams  sooner rather than later.

It seems like York has been even worse at identifying GTA talent. The one player they’ve managed to move up was poached from Quebec 

39 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

It seems like York has been even worse at identifying GTA talent. The one player they’ve managed to move up was poached from Quebec 

To be honest they’ve signed a lot of Ontario talent and it’s likely that Wright and Ferrari moved up next.

9 hours ago, ag futbol said:

While I would fully concede that vintage of TFC didn’t exactly stick with young guys and give them consistent time, I think you have to raise your hand with certain players and ask yourself “is this guy actually ever going to make it?” and if playing him is worth the investment. 

Hamilton, never made the most of his chances with TFC. And he often drew the ire of his teammates. 

I think so many years and so many clubs / opportunities later, you can’t point to anything but the player. Jordan’s been around more than a few clubs at this stage and none of them seem to have thought anything different than TFC did.

Well he was actually having his best and most productive season (5 goals in 15 games for someone who was never a regular starter is hardly poor or unpromising stat) and seemed to be poised for a breakthrough when they traded him for a journeyman,  cap-space eating American who proved to be far less productive for the club. In fact, the trade was Hamilton, TAM money & an international spot for a cap-space-eating journeyman who scored 3 goals in 49 (!) league games. We will never know what would have happened had he stayed in Toronto, but even if his career went on to fizzle out with them in such a hypothetical it wouldn't have been worse than the player he was traded for just on the basis of cap-space alone. I don't disagree that TFC (or any club who tries to develop players) in general sometimes needs to move on from players who aren't showing signs of productivity or growth, but again to reiterate whether or not that was actually the case for Hamilton at the time they traded him (and the stats suggest otherwise) isn't particularly germane or relevant to the point I was making, which was to contrast the earlier examples I mentioned to what TFC have done with JRR and Kerr, rather to compare them. That's because I don't think they are comparable for the reasons I've already articulated in my previous post.

In fact, to keep this on actual point for the thread, I don't even think its comparable to a situation of "club drafts X player over Y" player (in case anyone wants to draw allusions to Kyle Bekker or Griffin Donkey) since the club wasn't wanting to get rid of JRR in favour of Kerr, but there are only so many first team contracts any club should be handing out to teenagers for a given season - arguably, as much as hardcore Canadian fans and supporters might love it, TFC does have too many kids right now all playing at once which is why they are where they are in the standings. Granted, the Altidore salary situation that they are still paying for has probably helped to necessitate giving out a lot of contracts to players to teenagers they are developing and this will be great for future seasons and for long-term careers, but not really a formula for short term success. Its difficult to think of a single example of a highly successful team who fielded with a bunch of teens for a club playing in a pro men's league.

One thing about the talent in the GTA: true, but you can't expect a single team to do all that scouting work. It's not natural, nowhere in the world does a single club carry that load. 

Even with NextPro or whatever it's called. Go to any similar sized area with footballer production and you'll see 2-3 pro clubs, another in a 2nd tier, a hot amateur academy selling on, then the area is scouted from the outside and kids get signed elsewhere at 18. Not to mention FIFA agents looking for unsigned clients. 

It's an entire ecosystem. 

I appreciate the concerns about pro clubs poaching from academies and giving rise to bad blood, but it's part of how things work. I know of non-aggression pacts between clubs up to a certain age as well. Do the MLS clubs still have to respect territorial limits? The FIFA-dictated sell on compensations help soften the irritation at poaching. 

CPL academy structure: they have decided to not do one. Instead they're giving youth minutes, which is not really training u-14s to u-17s in pro mentality, that's still missing. They could try to field teams in the League Ones, but that is still post-development age. The 12-18 age gap remains in the hands of pay to play and that's untenable. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Even with NextPro or whatever it's called. Go to any similar sized area with footballer production and you'll see 2-3 pro clubs, another in a 2nd tier, a hot amateur academy selling on, then the area is scouted from the outside and kids get signed elsewhere at 18. Not to mention FIFA agents looking for unsigned clients. 

It's an entire ecosystem. 

I appreciate the concerns about pro clubs poaching from academies and giving rise to bad blood, but it's part of how things work.

CPL academy structure: they have decided to not do one. Instead they're giving youth minutes, which is not really training u-14s to u-17s in pro mentality, that's still missing. They could try to field teams in the League Ones, but that is still post-development age. The 12-18 age gap remains in the hands of pay to play and that's untenable. 

To pile on here, if the CSB is pillaging money from the CSA to throw to the owners of the CPL teams in the name of “growing the game”, then there should definitely be a requirement that all CPL teams develop academies. The pay-to-play system eventually only benefits the pockets of those running the private academy and very well-off kids.  Inevitable greed has already turned elite youth hockey into a niche sport in the GTA, and soccer will follow if things don’t change. 

The difference between hockey and soccer is soccer has a profit motive for academies or clubs to develop players. Unlike hockey where they just go off to Jr or college hockey. So if a club or academy can identify a super talented youngster then it's in their best interest to work something out

Edited by SpursFlu

TFC doesnt carry the whole load for GTA.  Just for a start, Sigma grads are scattered across the CMNT, Europe, and CPL.  

As for CPL clubs having academies...where we not just having the conversation that the senior players are woefully underpaid??  Sometimes you should be able to walk and chew gum, but these clubs need to keep the first team going, raise the level of play, get asses in seats etc.  For the time being work with existing youth structure until the club stabilizes.  There just isnt enough money being generated to do everything you would want the club to do.  

20 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

To pile on here, if the CSB is pillaging money from the CSA to throw to the owners of the CPL teams in the name of “growing the game”, then there should definitely be a requirement that all CPL teams develop academies...

Too late for that now probably but that could presumably have been written into the D1 sanctioning requirements. Given how few players make it through into the first teams from three MLS academies, there was a niche for more pro teams for all the players from that who are close but no cigar. Although they don't explicitly state it that's what allows CanPL to adopt a Brentford approach in a Canadian context.

21 hours ago, Bison44 said:

As for CPL clubs having academies...where we not just having the conversation that the senior players are woefully underpaid??  Sometimes you should be able to walk and chew gum, but these clubs need to keep the first team going, raise the level of play, get asses in seats etc.  For the time being work with existing youth structure until the club stabilizes.  There just isnt enough money being generated to do everything you would want the club to do.  

I was thinking about having academies from a different lenses.
I always understood that at this stage in the game it's not feasible for there to be "free to play" academies.
However I think it would be to the CPL clubs benefit it they bought or created real partnerships with their local clubs to "balance" the books. The main thing is having the brand resonate within the coummunity and make believe scenarios that happens when kids are wearing the same kits as the professional team.

What does that look like? 

Well in today's infrastructure a lot of League 1 Ontario players/clubs are fully paid, which is essentially funded by the lower age groups (if applicable) in the given clubs. If CPL clubs took this format it could be a lot easier to fund these academy teams.

We filled the gap with professional teams, now there is one at the academy level. In the current climate (in Ontario) every player is either filtered through 3 clubs...Sigma, Vaughan, or Toronto FC. The two non professional clubs have done a great job at developing talent, but they also have history and been around a lot longer than Toronto FC in regard to moving talent to the next level.

So League 1 is great and all, but we need to create a "professional" academy environment...and OPDL isn't it.

36 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Did anyone else see that 40 yard pass from him in the 22nd minute?  This kid has an interesting toolbox: pace, can hold the ball up and apparently can hit a nice cross field ball.

To answer your question, yes. Overall he has some really nice qualities. I noticed he is shy to go in the air.

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The 01's and 02's were always more likely to seem to come "out of nowhere" because they missed the 2020 U20 cycle due to everything getting COVID-cancelled.

The 02’s really got screwed. Not only did they not get the U20 cycle, they were inexplicably not included as part of the Olympic Qualifying because CONCACAF cheaped out and combined it with the U20 WCQ.

On 7/2/2022 at 1:17 AM, Gian-Luca said:

Well he was actually having his best and most productive season (5 goals in 15 games for someone who was never a regular starter is hardly poor or unpromising stat) and seemed to be poised for a breakthrough when they traded him for a journeyman,  cap-space eating American who proved to be far less productive for the club. In fact, the trade was Hamilton, TAM money & an international spot for a cap-space-eating journeyman who scored 3 goals in 49 (!) league games. We will never know what would have happened had he stayed in Toronto, but even if his career went on to fizzle out with them in such a hypothetical it wouldn't have been worse than the player he was traded for just on the basis of cap-space alone. I don't disagree that TFC (or any club who tries to develop players) in general sometimes needs to move on from players who aren't showing signs of productivity or growth, but again to reiterate whether or not that was actually the case for Hamilton at the time they traded him (and the stats suggest otherwise) isn't particularly germane or relevant to the point I was making, which was to contrast the earlier examples I mentioned to what TFC have done with JRR and Kerr, rather to compare them. That's because I don't think they are comparable for the reasons I've already articulated in my previous post.

In fact, to keep this on actual point for the thread, I don't even think its comparable to a situation of "club drafts X player over Y" player (in case anyone wants to draw allusions to Kyle Bekker or Griffin Donkey) since the club wasn't wanting to get rid of JRR in favour of Kerr, but there are only so many first team contracts any club should be handing out to teenagers for a given season - arguably, as much as hardcore Canadian fans and supporters might love it, TFC does have too many kids right now all playing at once which is why they are where they are in the standings. Granted, the Altidore salary situation that they are still paying for has probably helped to necessitate giving out a lot of contracts to players to teenagers they are developing and this will be great for future seasons and for long-term careers, but not really a formula for short term success. Its difficult to think of a single example of a highly successful team who fielded with a bunch of teens for a club playing in a pro men's league.

Ok, I agree with you on your take with Jordan Hamilton but disagree with you on other things. The problem with Hamilton was he was too soft. Greg Vanney even revealed to the Toronto Sun that the reason why he was traded is because he had no 'edge' to his game. In 2019, it was Jordan's last chance to make his mark as TFC's backup striker. Actually, if you look closely, it was between Ayo and Jordan for TFC's backup striker role for Jozy. Greg Vanney then trades Jordan midway through 2019 and puts his belief in Ayo and is rewarded. That 'edge' that Vanney was looking for was reflected in Ayo's hat trick game against Montreal in 2020 and the rest is history. Also, watch Ayo's goal against New England in Javier Perez's first game in charge last year. The way Ayo essentially bullied the defender off the ball and went on to score is the 'edge' that Jordan was missing in his game in order to stay in MLS.

In terms of the Jacen Russell Rowe situation your really complicating things. This was simply the case of poor management from specifically Bob Bradley and his team. Both Kerr and Rowe were both the same age and played the same position. The problem was Bob Bradley doesn't know how to identify talent and went with the wrong option. You really shouldn't believe his excuse that "perhaps he would be offered a second team contract with TFC" and in the end it just didn't work out. Rowe was the man of the match by a mile and put on an absolute clinic against TFC. This man got 2 assists and really showed us what TFC were missing. It was his MLS debut and in 65 minutes he just showed he is better than all of TFC's youngsters combined. Jayden Nelson needs to take notes as Rowe is only 19 and looks set to dominate this league. Unfortunately, Bob Bradley is a shit coach and has absolutely no idea what he is doing. TFC literally just got schooled by Seattle's 'B' team. If management doesn't act quickly and get rid of Bob Bradley and Michael Bradley, the regression of TFC will only go from bad to worse. Unfortunately, management is clueless as well.

Lastly, I really don't like how your making fun of of Griffin Dorsey while putting respect on Kyle 'Bust' Bekker's name. Kyle 'Bust' Bekker is the worse player in TFC history. There was a WTR article that even had him as #1 in a top 10 list of TFC's worst ever signings. I watched every single game of his TFC career and was left wondering how he even managed to make it pro. He was a #3 draft pick and came in with so much promise as TFC's 'Great White Hope' in the midfield. Even my mom remembers seeing the commercials advertising this guy as TFC's next big thing. This guy was TFC's biggest flop ever and a complete liability. All he would do is pass backwards, sideways and constantly turn the ball over in the midfield. He was given all the opportunity in the world and blew it so badly.The amount of time 'Bust' Bekker got on the field was absolutely ludicrous considering how garbage this guy actually was. There were plenty of others that didn't even get a fair look. For instance, Emery Welshman only made one appearance in the 2013 season, which was off the bench for 2 minutes against Vancouver. Welshman was than released the following year while Kyle 'Bust' Bekker got a full 2 years and didn't do shit. The reason Kyle 'Bust' Bekker was given all this opportunity and was never ripped by the critics publicly is because he was a white privileged blonde haired, blue eyed white kid from Oakville, Ontario. In his two years at TFC, in all competitions, Kyle 'Bust' Bekker managed to get 0 goals and 0 assists. You can't make any excuses for Kyle 'Bust' Bekker, like he was not in a good team. Remember, Danny Kovermans called TFC's 2012 team the worst team ever. Luis Silva who was a #10 like 'Bust' Bekker still managed 5 goals and 5 assists in that one 2012 season. My friend was at TFC game against Philly in 2014 and the fans around him were making fun of Kyle 'Bust' Bekker and wondering why this guy was still seeing minutes on the field. For all the time he got in that game, he remained a constant flop in the midfield.

Edited by anthony7

13 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

Ok, I agree with you on your take with Jordan Hamilton but disagree with you on other things. The problem with Hamilton was he was too soft. Greg Vanney even revealed to the Toronto Sun that the reason why he was traded is because he had no 'edge' to his game. In 2019, it was Jordan's last chance to make his mark as TFC's backup striker. Actually, if you look closely, it was between Ayo and Jordan for TFC's backup striker role for Jozy. Greg Vanney then trades Jordan midway through 2019 and puts his belief in Ayo and is rewarded. That 'edge' that Vanney was looking for was reflected in Ayo's hat trick game against Montreal in 2020 and the rest is history. Also, watch Ayo's goal against New England in Javier Perez's first game in charge last year. The way Ayo essentially bullied the defender off the ball and went on to score is the 'edge' that Jordan was missing in his game in order to stay in MLS.

In terms of the Jacen Russell Rowe situation your really complicating things. This was simply the case of poor management from specifically Bob Bradley and his team. Both Kerr and Rowe were both the same age and played the same position. The problem was Bob Bradley doesn't know how to identify talent and went with the wrong option. You really shouldn't believe his excuse that "perhaps he would be offered a second team contract with TFC" and in the end it just didn't work out. Rowe was the man of the match by a mile and put on an absolute clinic against TFC. This man got 2 assists and really showed us what TFC were missing. It was his MLS debut and in 65 minutes he just showed he is better than all of TFC's youngsters combined. Jayden Nelson needs to take notes as Rowe is only 19 and looks set to dominate this league. Unfortunately, Bob Bradley is a shit coach and has absolutely no idea what he is doing. TFC literally just got schooled by Seattle's 'B' team. If management doesn't act quickly and get rid of Bob Bradley and Michael Bradley, the regression of TFC will only go from bad to worse. Unfortunately, management is clueless as well.

Lastly, I really don't like how your making fun of of Griffin Dorsey while putting respect on Kyle 'Bust' Bekker's name. Kyle 'Bust' Bekker is the worse player in TFC history. There was a WTR article that even had him as #1 in a top 10 list of TFC's worst ever signings. I watched every single game of his TFC career and was left wondering how he even managed to make it pro. He was a #3 draft pick and came in with so much promise as TFC's great white hope in the midfield. My mom even remembers seeing the commercials advertising this guy as TFC's next big thing. This guy was TFC's biggest flop ever and a complete liability. All he would do is pass backwards, sideways and constantly turn the ball over in the midfield. He was given all the opportunity in the world and blew it so badly.The amount of time this guy got on the field was absolutely ludicrous considering how garbage this guy actually was. There were plenty of others that didn't even get a fair look. For instance, Emery Welshman only made one appearance off the bench for 2 minutes against Vancouver in the 2013 season. Welshman was than released the following year while Kyle 'Bust' Bekker got a full 2 years and didn't do shit. The reason Kyle 'Bust' Bekker was given all this opportunity and was never ripped by the critics publicly is because he was a white privileged blonde haired, blue eyed white kid from Oakville, Ontario. In his two years at TFC in all competitions, Kyle 'Bust' Bekker managed to get 0 goals and 0 assists. You can't make any excuses for Kyle 'Bust' Bekker, like he was not in a good team. Remember, Danny Kovermans called TFC's 2012 team the worst team ever. Luis Silva who was a #10 like Bekker still managed 5 goals and 5 assists in that one 2012 season. My friend was at TFC game against Philly in 2014 and the fans around him were making fun of Kyle 'Bust' Bekker and wondering why this guy was still seeing minutes on the field. For all the time he got in that game, he remained a constant flop in the midfield.

I believe the Rowe decision was actually made by Ali Curtis and Co…. Also do you really expect Bob Bradley to go and say yeah we should have kept Rowe over Kerr ?

Kerr has been good so far.

20 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

Lastly, I really don't like how your making fun of of Griffin Dorsey while putting respect on Kyle 'Bust' Bekker's name. Kyle 'Bust' Bekker is the worse player in TFC history. There was a WTR article that even had him as #1 in a top 10 list of TFC's worst ever signings. I watched every single game of his TFC career and was left wondering how he even managed to make it pro. He was a #3 draft pick and came in with so much promise as TFC's great white hope in the midfield. My mom even remembers seeing the commercials advertising this guy as TFC's next big thing. This guy was TFC's biggest flop ever and a complete liability. All he would do is pass backwards, sideways and constantly turn the ball over in the midfield. He was given all the opportunity in the world and blew it so badly.The amount of time this guy got on the field was absolutely ludicrous considering how garbage this guy actually was. There were plenty of others that didn't even get a fair look. For instance, Emery Welshman only made one appearance off the bench for 2 minutes against Vancouver in the 2013 season. Welshman was than released the following year while Kyle 'Bust' Bekker got a full 2 years and didn't do shit. The reason Kyle 'Bust' Bekker was given all this opportunity and was never ripped by the critics publicly is because he was a white privileged blonde haired, blue eyed white kid from Oakville, Ontario. In his two years at TFC in all competitions, Kyle 'Bust' Bekker managed to get 0 goals and 0 assists. You can't make any excuses for Kyle 'Bust' Bekker, like he was not in a good team. Remember, Danny Kovermans called TFC's 2012 team the worst team ever. Luis Silva who was a #10 like Bekker still managed 5 goals and 5 assists in that one 2012 season. My friend was at TFC game against Philly in 2014 and the fans around him were making fun of Kyle 'Bust' Bekker and wondering why this guy was still seeing minutes on the field. For all the time he got in that game, he remained a constant flop in the midfield.

Vanney may possibly be one of the most over-rated coaches ever.

And he was also bad at transitioning youth players into useful professionals. 

4 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I believe the Rowe decision was actually made by Ali Curtis and Co…. Also do you really expect Bob Bradley to go and say yeah we should have kept Rowe over Kerr ?

Kerr has been good so far.

Kerr, is just a runner with no direction. The away game against New York was a perfect example. He ran around the whole game and had no influence. By the hour mark this guy was looking exhausted and I thought Bob Bradley was going to take him off but he didn't. He misses too many chances and needs to work on his finishing. This guy missed a golden chance yesterday against Seattle. I disagree with you in terms of the Rowe decision. Bob Bradley was given full control of the club when it comes to transfers and big decisions. What Bob Bradley said in his statement about the situation was basically him making excuses for his incompetence. The other reason why I know for sure it was Bob Bradley's final decision is because he likes runners with no end product. That is essentially Kerr and Nelson in a nut shell which is why they get so much minutes. Rowe plays football with an intelligence that Bob doesn't like and unfortunately there is no room for players like that when your dealing with stubborn Bob and his tactics.

Edited by anthony7