Jacen Russell-Rowe

Dominic94

47 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The best way to help and support these kids and by extension Canadian soccer is not to throw these kids out there amongst seasoned pros and showering them with false praise all the while blaming the seasoned players or foreigners for the loses. Seasoned players, who have proven themselves with trophies and other awards and acclaim or in some case international experience (ie>: WC finals experience) are being singled out when we lose but with some ppl, these kids can do no wrong and have to protected from criticism and any kind of fair assessment of their abilities and potential.

I would never have bought season seats on the morning of the first ever sale for TFC Season seats way back in 2006 or 2007 if i didn't think that there wouldn't be benefits to our international fortunes in having a team in MLS. But this experiment of trotting out a bunch of unproven Canadian teenagers (or near teenagers) ALL AT ONCE has been a failure and waste of time. Its even been a failure for the players your trying to develop.  Some of these guys may never be pros. One, JMR, might be a a true stud. One or two others might eventually become a decent MLS player, and rest probably wont make it and that's the law averages.   There is also that "We should just have more camps" crowd which is the same as the "We should just have more friendlies" crowd or the "just play the kids" crowds.  Its the false notion seemingly that everybody has what it takes to be the next Messi, its just a matter of playing/practicing more.  WELL some of them dont have it, in fact a lot of them dont have it.   Thats professional sports.  As time passes,  and losses mount, its becoming evident that some of these kids dont have it.  

Collectively, Right now, except for Akinola (and JMR for different reasons) I don't see how any of them are helping, in fact, they are hindering the team and the success of the sport locally.  Just go look at the standings and look at how the attendance has dropped from approx 28-30K back in 2016-19 to 25K nowadays, 21K last Saturday.  I dont pay season seats and want to haul my ass down there to watch an experiment either. Or to watch in action an academy for the national team.  How many ppl who actually crap on what Vanney has achieved ( and defend this latest stupid approach), actually live in the GTA or are actually SSH's. This experiment is the main reason we are losing, not because of the veterans.

Priso>Bradley Jr. since last season right before his injury. Thompson is at the very least a good sub option to have. It’s not their fault the leagues the way it is and the club can twiddle its thumbs waiting for summer to make moves.

47 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The best way to help and support these kids and by extension Canadian soccer is not to throw these kids out there amongst seasoned pros and showering them with false praise all the while blaming the seasoned players or foreigners for the loses. Seasoned players, who have proven themselves with trophies and other awards and acclaim or in some case international experience (ie>: WC finals experience) are being singled out when we lose but with some ppl, these kids can do no wrong and have to protected from criticism and any kind of fair assessment of their abilities and potential.

I would never have bought season seats on the morning of the first ever sale for TFC Season seats way back in 2006 or 2007 if i didn't think that there wouldn't be benefits to our international fortunes in having a team in MLS. But this experiment of trotting out a bunch of unproven Canadian teenagers (or near teenagers) ALL AT ONCE has been a failure and waste of time. Its even been a failure for the players your trying to develop.  Some of these guys may never be pros. One, JMR, might be a a true stud. One or two others might eventually become a decent MLS player, and rest probably wont make it and that's the law averages.   There is also that "We should just have more camps" crowd which is the same as the "We should just have more friendlies" crowd or the "just play the kids" crowds.  Its the false notion seemingly that everybody has what it takes to be the next Messi, its just a matter of playing/practicing more.  WELL some of them dont have it, in fact a lot of them dont have it.   Thats professional sports.  As time passes,  and losses mount, its becoming evident that some of these kids dont have it.  

Collectively, Right now, except for Akinola (and JMR for different reasons) I don't see how any of them are helping, in fact, they are hindering the team and the success of the sport locally.  Just go look at the standings and look at how the attendance has dropped from approx 28-30K back in 2016-19 to 25K nowadays, 21K last Saturday.  I dont pay season seats and want to haul my ass down there to watch an experiment either. Or to watch in action an academy for the national team.  How many ppl who actually crap on what Vanney has achieved ( and defend this latest stupid approach), actually live in the GTA or are actually SSH's. This experiment is the main reason we are losing, not because of the veterans.

It’s a weird catch 22, because I would guess that a drop in attendance for TFC is less about playing young kids and more about the fact that the Leafs and Raptors are really good now and weren’t as good back in 2017. So as a result, if TFC wants to grow, they need to be competing for titles; that’s really what put the Raptors on a level near the Leafs. But for that, you need solid veterans, not just a troupe of high potential local kids. And if your team is good and you become one of the bigger MLS teams, you have more resources and power to develop youngsters more. So you need the solid vets to grow the organization to better develop kids, which will in turn help grow your youth pool.

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

So much of this is wrong dude, just look at TFC's neighbors CFM for the perfect example and comparison.  The stands are filling up specifically due to the young local boys and the winning.

Are you saying Sir Alex and Man U also got it wrong when they were playing their young golden generation?  Vanney hurt these kids futures, CANMNT, as well as TFC's future just to help himself in the moment.  He literally gave up years of success to have that one excellent season.  With that roster and payroll anything less than a dynasty is a failure.

Players don't recover from not playing those crucual 18-21 years.  If you won't play them, let them go.

This is the root of the problem right there, the bolded part.   You are comparing these guys to Beckham, Scholes, Yorke, Cole  etc,.....in the late nineties.     And that the difference is that you just have to give them playing time and they will be Beckham, scholes, andy Coles, Dwight Yorke.

Thats what i was referring to.   We need to take our Red colored glass off when we look at developing players and prospects 

Edited by Free kick

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

This is the root of the problem right there, the bolded part.   You are comparing that these guys are Beckham, Scholes, Yorke,   etc,.....   And that the difference is that if they just have to get playing time and they will Beckham, scholes, andy Coles, Dwight Yorke.

Thats what i was referring to.   We need to take our Red colored glass off when we look at developing players and prospects 

You're right about that, I used an extreme as an example.  I didn't mean to set Man U as the standard, they were obviously special, but there is an in between.  Perhaps Philadelphia or NYRB?  They've developped while being extremely successful.  Tonnes of other teams come to mind. 

Vanney failed at this and it's ok to appreciate his one good season while also admiting he really hurt and failed TFC , the boys and CANMNT in the long run.

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

So much of this is wrong dude, just look at TFC's neighbors CFM for the perfect example and comparison.  The stands are filling up specifically due to the young local boys and the winning.

I've bolded the most likely reason why Montreal's attendance is getting better.

Most casual fans don't come out specifically to see young players unless they are elite (Davies, etc.), and even then it helps having a winning team around them.

Even so, Montreal's average attendance this year (14,800~) would be seen as a disaster for Toronto.

13 minutes ago, costarg said:

just look at TFC's neighbors CFM for the perfect example and comparison.  The stands are filling up specifically due to the young local boys and the winning.

Huh, no.The stands are not filling up not any more than BMO field. Yes we are winning and that's why the attendance isn't atrocious. As for the local boys, this is Quebec. Miller, Johnston, Waterman and even Breza to a certain extent are not considered local boys. So you are left with subs Piette, Choiniere and Kone and bench warmer Pantemis.

I think TFC is on the right track. This time next year they'll have a much stronger team and will have more local boys than CFM.

Just now, RS said:

I've bolded the most likely reason why Montreal's attendance is getting better.

Most casual fans don't come out specifically to see young players unless they are elite (Davies, etc.), and even then it helps having a winning team around them.

Even so, Montreal's average attendance this year (14,800~) would be seen as a disaster for Toronto.

TFC hasn't been dragged through the coals like CFM has the past 2 years, there is a lot of baggage and scars left still to be dealt with.  So 14800 is actually good from CFM's standpoint, while it would be disappointing for TFC, but that's just the reality for the markets.  Montreal attendance is trending up and they're winning thanks to the local boys.

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

TFC hasn't been dragged through the coals like CFM has the past 2 years, there is a lot of baggage and scars left still to be dealt with.  So 14800 is actually good from CFM's standpoint, while it would be disappointing for TFC, but that's just the reality for the markets.  Montreal attendance is trending up and they're winning thanks to the local boys.

Again, more red coloured glasses.  Mihailovic, Torres, and others have nothing to do with it?   You responded to my original post with "Thats so wrong Dude"  but then you really proving everything I said 

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

I just want to go back and address this, because you keep using the term "experiment" when I don't really think that's what it is.

TFC knew they were going to vastly rebuild this year, and in stages. They eliminated a ton of of the old roster over the offseason and, instead of bringing in journeymen types to fill in the gaps, they decided to see how the kids would fare for the half-season prior to the summer window opening. Everyone knew it would be a rough ride, and generally I agree that you don't want to throw 6-7 kids on the field every match, but given the constraints of the MLS salary rules and knowing that they'd bring in (at least some) big money reinforcements in July, it was a worthy test to see which of the kids could cut it under a pressure-filled situation.

I'd argue that more than just Akinola and JMR have shown themselves worthy of getting more playing time, but I agree that most of the younger players should have their time cut down once more veterans show up.

Nelson, for example, can be frustrating to watch but I'd argue that he's grown leaps and bounds thanks to all the time he's received. Now he's a legit MLS-level bench player in my eyes, who is capable of starting here and there on a playoff-calibre team. No, he shouldn't be in the starting XI every game, but he's reined in his love of freelancing and trying to take on everybody and clearly plays more within a system now than he did at the beginning of the season.

Others are similar in that regard.

Are they the finished product? Of course not, but knowing that TFC were going to almost intentionally throw the first half of the season (and maybe the entire season) away in order to rebuild the squad to Bradley Sr.'s liking anyway, it was a worthwhile exercise to blood as many of the kids as possible to accelerate their development curve.

Bringing it back to the topic, I think a guy like Russell-Rowe would've also benefitted from getting a ton of playing time on a bad TFC side, but it was a numbers game and ultimately worked out for the best in that JRR is now an MLS player and others like Kerr, Nelson, etc. didn't have to compete with him (and vice versa) for playing time in Toronto.

12 minutes ago, costarg said:

The off-field stuff in Montreal was worse, but TFC's been demonstrably worse on the field for 1.5 seasons now.

I wasn't taking a shot at CFM's attendance, either. Just pointing out the realities of the two teams. 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Are you saying Sir Alex and Man U also got it wrong when they were playing their young golden generation?  Vanney hurt these kids futures, CANMNT, as well as TFC's future just to help himself in the moment.  He literally gave up years of success to have that one excellent season.  With that roster and payroll anything less than a dynasty is a failure.

Players don't recover from not playing those crucual 18-21 years.  If you won't play them, let them go.

CFM is enjoying a spike in popularity because the habs are trash and the Als get more and more irrelevant every season, and also, secondly because they're winning. That's all. Of the "local boys" you have Kone who may become the very first homegrown montrealer to make a name for himself in the soccer world. That's it.

Also let's not mention Sir Alex, golden era Man U or David Beckham in the same phrase as... Toronto FC. There isn't a single player in Toronto (or in any youth system in our country) who would've made those teams back when they were the best team in the world.

The reality is professional sports teams aren't training grounds, their goal is to win games. You can't see TFC as a CANMNT team, you need to see them as a team that needs to field the very best lineups every week to win games. Many times that does not include mediocre youngsters whose potential is maybe getting a transfer to Belgium at their peak.

I dont think its "red colored glasses" for TFC to at least try to blood some of the kids they have been investing in for years.  Some will pan out, most wont....WOW thanks for the news flash.  We are fans, nobody at TFC listens to us, and being a fan I will cheer for a local brampton/quebec/vancouver kid over some kid from texas or Costa rica.  And i guess I should apoligize for being harder on seasoned pros making 700k than an 19yearold with 200 pro minutes.  But me being positive about academy kids and indifferent about some yahoo I never heard of until he got drafted from B#M F#CK University is besides the point.  If you dont play any of them you are just burying them and none of them will ever get anywhere draft picks or Academy kids.  And you'll never know what you had and never see anyone return on your academy investment. 

Its not an experiment, its a philosophy, do you just want to have a revolving door or established pros that you cycle through, paying top dollar and having large salaries (and quick drop off in talent), or is there room on your roster for promising academy kids? Some of which you just might hit a homerun with??  And its early on but it looks like TFC just let this years homerun go (JRR) for some flim flam tam gam money.  TFC could have brought in a few more established Oneill types this season (but went cheap with CPL alums Mcnaughton/Chung), and chose to tough it out for half a season with the young talent they have stockpiled until the italians arrived.  It was a choice.   Everyone is big on its a business, win games at all costs etc, but its also about that pesky salary cap too eh?? How do you spend that money, where do you get the bang for your buck, and where can you go cheap and get good returns??  

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

This is the root of the problem right there, the bolded part.   You are comparing these guys to Beckham, Scholes, Yorke, Cole  etc,.....in the late nineties.     And that the difference is that you just have to give them playing time and they will be Beckham, scholes, andy Coles, Dwight Yorke.

So much inaccurate. Yorke and Cole didn’t come up in the United academy. Yorke had played over 200 games for Villa before joining United. Cole has played over 100 pro games for different clubs. Both were mid to late 20s when they joined United. 

Also, breaking into Toronto FC is not the same as breaking into Manchester United so you can’t just say well none of those guys are as good as Beckham so they shouldn’t be playing. 

By the way, the United golden generation of academy kids was Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Nicky Butt, Phil and Gary Neville. 

5 minutes ago, archer21 said:

So much inaccurate. Yorke and Cole didn’t come up in the United academy. Yorke had played over 200 games for Villa before joining United. Cole has played over 100 pro games for different clubs. Both were mid to late 20s when they joined United. 

Also, breaking into Toronto FC is not the same as breaking into Manchester United so you can’t just say well none of those guys are as good as Beckham so they shouldn’t be playing. 

By the way, the United golden generation of academy kids was Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Nicky Butt, Phil and Gary Neville. 

Now we are starting to split hairs 😀,  

Edited by Free kick

Well I'm a TFC season ticket holder and I do want to see the team play Canadian kids. On the other hand, I think they are playing too many at once - on average they play about 5 teenagers a match and a couple of other young/inexperienced/rookie players on top of that, which is insane. I think I made the same point up thread that this is not a recipe any successful team anywhere in the world has for its success - which is why, getting back to JRR, it's tough to be harsh on the club since there was no way they could also field him in addition to all the others they are giving playing time too. But I also appreciate why the insanity is taking place - part of which I suspect is still paying Altidore's salary or anyone other over-the-hill American from last season that they still might be on the books for, and part of it is when this transfer window opens. I suspect we will see a more reasonable balance the rest of the season (and its' a great shame that Okello, the oldest of the kids, has missed almost the whole season thus far with an injury that nobody seems to know the details of).

Ironically, one of the reasons JRR picked up two assists against TFC was because he was able to take advantage of Michael Bradley's many current deficiencies (he is exposed on both goals, anyone who doesn't believe me should go re-watch them), which Bradley's TFC teammates do not have the luxury of being able to do, since they are his teammates, not his opponents.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Gazette is worried about Montreal's attendance:

Heading into the game, CF Montréal ranked 25th out of 28 teams in Major League Soccer attendance — according to Soccer Stadium Digest — with an average of 13,950.

The small crowd highlighted again how Montreal is a great Canadiens city and a great event city, but not necessarily a great sports city....You have to wonder if the Canadiens playing in a charity soccer game might attract more people...The biggest problem might be a case of Habs-itis in the city. Montreal sports fans can’t seem to get enough of the Canadiens, even though they finished last in the NHL standings this season.

It was back in 1993 that former Montreal Gazette sports columnist Michael Farber wrote about soccer in the city, noting: “Kids play until they are old enough to drive. After they get their licences, the last place they think of driving to is a soccer field.”

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer/stu-cowan-cf-montréal-struggling-to-attract-fans-at-saputo-stadium/ar-AAYS107

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

CFM is enjoying a spike in popularity because the habs are trash and the Als get more and more irrelevant every season, and also, secondly because they're winning. That's all. Of the "local boys" you have Kone who may become the very first homegrown montrealer to make a name for himself in the soccer world. That's it.

Also let's not mention Sir Alex, golden era Man U or David Beckham in the same phrase as... Toronto FC. There isn't a single player in Toronto (or in any youth system in our country) who would've made those teams back when they were the best team in the world.

The reality is professional sports teams aren't training grounds, their goal is to win games. You can't see TFC as a CANMNT team, you need to see them as a team that needs to field the very best lineups every week to win games. Many times that does not include mediocre youngsters whose potential is maybe getting a transfer to Belgium at their peak.

Come on now, that team's legacy is getting dominated by Bayern Munich for 90 minutes and then miraculously scoring two lucky goals from a Norwegian in injury time. None of our guys could replace Gary Neville? I know you mentioned youth system but guys produced in the last few years like Davies need to count. Think about it clearly.

2 hours ago, red card said:

Heading into the game, CF Montréal ranked 25th out of 28 teams in Major League Soccer attendance — according to Soccer Stadium Digest — with an average of 13,950.

The small crowd highlighted again how Montreal is a great Canadiens city and a great event city, but not necessarily a great sports city....You have to wonder if the Canadiens playing in a charity soccer game might attract more people...The biggest problem might be a case of Habs-itis in the city. Montreal sports fans can’t seem to get enough of the Canadiens, even though they finished last in the NHL standings this season.

It was back in 1993 that former Montreal Gazette sports columnist Michael Farber wrote about soccer in the city, noting: “Kids play until they are old enough to drive. After they get their licences, the last place they think of driving to is a soccer field.”

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer/stu-cowan-cf-montréal-struggling-to-attract-fans-at-saputo-stadium/ar-AAYS107

CF Montreal's popularity like TFC or VWC's popularity will align with how popular MLS gets. As the league grows, the club's popularity in the mainstream grow. I wouldn't take the opinion of some beat writer from Jersey as anything of merit. 

4 hours ago, red card said:

I think it is a good sport town that is in a unique economic landscape in North America.   The problem, whether its with the Expos of the past or the CF M/Impact,  is the season tickets sales.   There is a very similar history between the Expos and CFM in that (when compared to Toronto and other similar sized NA cities) the season ticket base very low, if not lousy.    YET PPL know soccer in Montreal and they are very knowledge about baseball.  

Its lousy because discretionary income in Quebec are lower compared to elsewhere due to high taxes, and lower salaries and comparatively fewer high income employment opportunities .  The driving force for soccer throughout North America is the 18-35 age group.  Well in Quebec,  that age group (compared to rest of North America)  struggles much more economically.   Grads and undergrads in Quebec are much more likely to be underemployed than their peers in Ontario.   Ontario has coop programs in universities and internships,  Quebec has none of that.  Quebec, employment is far more driven by public sector and para-public sector and that means (for the 18-35 yr olds) lower wages because collective bargaining agreements usually limit increases and work in that favour of older employees.  

Quebec is a much more regulated economy with more generous social programs.  That may be viewed as good by some, but also means its an expensive place to do business and a harder place for businesses to invest in.   Private investment is critical to a good economy and high paying employment.   Then you got language laws etc etc.   So foreign business/investors stay away or opt for ONT, BC or AB and these business's are also potential season ticket clients.   Essentially,  if you have a stable job in Quebec, its likely to be public sector or quasi public sector.  A typical private sector professional in Quebec will earn approx 20-25% less than their Ontario Counterpart (that's an educated guess on my part).

So essentially,  that age group of Quebecers/Montrealers 18-35 doesnt have the same purchasing power and discretionary income that their counterparts part elsewhere has.  The entertainment business lives off of discretionary incomes.  EXPos and CFM (especially for season tickets) are in the entertainment business.   That's why their season ticket bases are always lousy but when you look at walk up crowds per game,  there is probably no difference

Edited by Free kick

38 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

All you say was very true, 20 years ago. Québec is no longer in the poorest provinces.

Anyway. Attendance numbers in Montréal are also very low because of the rebrand.

That's what they keep telling you.  And you will continue to hear that from the media in Quebec.   I will save the trouble of a long counter point and just suggest the following book:

ALAIN DUBUC - Portrait de famille : 14 vrais ou faux mythes québécois - LIVRES - Renaud-Bray.com - Livres + cadeaux + jeux

See chapters 11, 12, 13.  

The book was written 10 years ago.  But everything he says is something i still see today and always have seen.  and he is making the same arguments i made above.   

or even, This piece:

L'Impact, les Alouettes et le défi de combler l'espace sportif estival - The Athletic

He talks about the 18-34 crowd in Montreal in one paragraph and states:

quote:"« Il y a une clientèle 18-34 qui est tout à fait mûre pour aller avec l’Impact, estime Hugues Léger, l’ancien V.-P. marketing de l’Impact de 2014 à 2017. Ils ont grandi avec le soccer, c’est pour eux un sport professionnel et un sport-spectacle, et ils sont tout à fait mûrs pour être acheteurs de billets. Mais évidemment, ils ont moins d’argent et moins de dollars discrétionnaires à mettre sur le sport."

Edited by Free kick

The language laws are very much killing the economy and province and it’s about to get a lot worse.

to be honest I am considering tickets for next year, but Covid had wiped out 2 years of attendance for Montreal and we were very strict here with our covid rules…

Edited by Dominic94

16 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

It’s a weird catch 22, because I would guess that a drop in attendance for TFC is less about playing young kids and more about the fact that the Leafs and Raptors are really good now and weren’t as good back in 2017. So as a result, if TFC wants to grow, they need to be competing for titles; that’s really what put the Raptors on a level near the Leafs. But for that, you need solid veterans, not just a troupe of high potential local kids. And if your team is good and you become one of the bigger MLS teams, you have more resources and power to develop youngsters more. So you need the solid vets to grow the organization to better develop kids, which will in turn help grow your youth pool.

Leafs are shit they haven’t won a championship recently unlike the raptors and Toronto fc lol

35 minutes ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

Leafs are shit they haven’t won a championship recently unlike the raptors and Toronto fc lol

Yeah, I thought the leafs lost in the first round of the playoffs (again). Too many Toronto sports fans mistake participation medals for championships.