Jacen Russell-Rowe

Dominic94

12 hours ago, Macksam said:

CF Montreal's popularity like TFC or VWC's popularity will align with how popular MLS gets. As the league grows, the club's popularity in the mainstream grow. I wouldn't take the opinion of some beat writer from Jersey as anything of merit. 

Living in Montreal and following CFM, I can tell you that's wrong.

For starters it's questionable whether this city would support any other club other than the Habs and even with the Canadiens, they're liable to drop them if they have a string of bad seasons. To prove my point, MLB is popular in  mainstream North America yet this city lost the Expos. Another point: take Boston, a city in many facets similar to Montreal. Boston supports pro football, basketball, hockey,  baseball and soccer. Montreal supports hockey and barely keeps afloat a CFL football team. The only reason CFM is still around is because of Saputo. Montreal is not a sports city. It's a Habs and a one-time event city.

Also, soccer is an alien sport to most Quebecers, i.e. an immigrant sport. When the premier of the province nixed  WC games in Montreal, there wasn't a squeak from the French press. And he knew there wouldn't be. Soccer is just not a thing among mainstream Quebecers. Yeah sure there's the odd ball who is a member of the Ultras but most of the fans in this province are not pure laine. And there really aren't enough of the non-pure laines to matter. Also with the present government's clamp on immigration you can rest assured there won't be in the immediate future.

2 hours ago, kacbru said:

Yeah, I thought the leafs lost in the first round of the playoffs (again). Too many Toronto sports fans mistake participation medals for championships. 

Unlike fans in other Canadian cities, who have been showered with championships

On 7/5/2022 at 6:07 AM, FC_Hali said:

My point was that Toronto is a talent hotbed and that TFC has yet to materially benefit (in the context of developing national team caliber players or selling players to Europe) despite investing in their academy more than most clubs. 

It is but that’s a double edged sword. Overall, agree they could be better but you have to remember there are lots of teams scouting the GTA.

13 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

It is but that’s a double edged sword. Overall, agree they could be better but you have to remember there are lots of teams scouting the GTA.

To add there are many clubs too that have enough pull to keep their players out of TFC's hands. Vaughan SC an example.

Edited by VinceA

23 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Living in Montreal and following CFM, I can tell you that's wrong.

For starters it's questionable whether this city would support any other club other than the Habs and even with the Canadiens, they're liable to drop them if they have a string of bad seasons. To prove my point, MLB is popular in  mainstream North America yet this city lost the Expos. Another point: take Boston, a city in many facets similar to Montreal. Boston supports pro football, basketball, hockey,  baseball and soccer. Montreal supports hockey and barely keeps afloat a CFL football team. The only reason CFM is still around is because of Saputo. Montreal is not a sports city. It's a Habs and a one-time event city.

Also, soccer is an alien sport to most Quebecers, i.e. an immigrant sport. When the premier of the province nixed  WC games in Montreal, there wasn't a squeak from the French press. And he knew there wouldn't be. Soccer is just not a thing among mainstream Quebecers. Yeah sure there's the odd ball who is a member of the Ultras but most of the fans in this province are not pure laine. And there really aren't enough of the non-pure laines to matter. Also with the present government's clamp on immigration you can rest assured there won't be in the immediate future.

You say it's wrong like it's a fact. Like myself, you don't know what the future holds. When MLS gains in popularity, it may or may not rise the tide for all it's member clubs. 

Pure laine? You lost me here.

The definition of "pure laine" is :

White

French

Baptized but doesn't give a damn about religion

Eats Poutine 1x a week minimum

Pays the cable to have RDS and TVAsport

Loves hockey but cannot appreciate football because it is considered a "faker" sport

Edited by P-O

The biggest issue with sports in Montreal is that Montreal has the trauma of the '76 olympics embedded in our psyche. It took the city like 35 years to pay off the stadium, costs ballooned, it's an absolutely grotesque building (that I have a personal love for) that's falling apart, and ultimately we did all of this to win pretty much zero medals. With that in mind, Montrealers don't have the appetite to build a 40,000 seat soccer stadium, nor do they have the appetite to build that waterfront baseball park in the Peel basin, nor do they have the appetite to host a handful of world cup games that won't do much for the average Montrealer other than clog up our streets and ruin our metro for those couple weeks. Hell, the smartest sports move for Montreal would be to try and get an NBA team, since we've got the market for it and there's an appetite for NBA expansion, but there hasn't been so much as a murmur of this.

For this reason, you get the situation with CFM where the team is explicitly targeting european French montrealers because they've given up on the locals supporting the team, despite the fact that the ultras were all local francophones, and also despite the fact that if you're French, you don't support CFM, you support your dad's club back in France. I thought it was ridiculous when ownership said they wanted to position CFM as the world's club for francophones- move over PSG, I guess. And as a result, so many people here view MLS as the WNBA- they know nothing about it, just that it sucks compared to "real" soccer, because they aren't being marketed to.

Montreal isn't a rich city. I grew up an Expos fan because my dad could bring me to a game for $20 instead of $250 for a Habs game. There's no reason you can't appeal to families like that in this generation. The cost of Habs tickets is pretty much the cost of a mini vacation whereas soccer is still affordable enough to go several times a year. People in the city are desperate to take advantage of every second of warm weather, so the fact that CFM can't get those people to take advantage of warm weather by watching CFM is an institutional failure.

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

The biggest issue with sports in Montreal is that Montreal has the trauma of the '76 olympics embedded in our psyche. It took the city like 35 years to pay off the stadium, costs ballooned, it's an absolutely grotesque building (that I have a personal love for) that's falling apart, and ultimately we did all of this to win pretty much zero medals. With that in mind, Montrealers don't have the appetite to build a 40,000 seat soccer stadium, nor do they have the appetite to build that waterfront baseball park in the Peel basin, nor do they have the appetite to host a handful of world cup games that won't do much for the average Montrealer other than clog up our streets and ruin our metro for those couple weeks. Hell, the smartest sports move for Montreal would be to try and get an NBA team, since we've got the market for it and there's an appetite for NBA expansion, but there hasn't been so much as a murmur of this.

For this reason, you get the situation with CFM where the team is explicitly targeting european French montrealers because they've given up on the locals supporting the team, despite the fact that the ultras were all local francophones, and also despite the fact that if you're French, you don't support CFM, you support your dad's club back in France. I thought it was ridiculous when ownership said they wanted to position CFM as the world's club for francophones- move over PSG, I guess. And as a result, so many people here view MLS as the WNBA- they know nothing about it, just that it sucks compared to "real" soccer, because they aren't being marketed to.

Montreal isn't a rich city. I grew up an Expos fan because my dad could bring me to a game for $20 instead of $250 for a Habs game. There's no reason you can't appeal to families like that in this generation. The cost of Habs tickets is pretty much the cost of a mini vacation whereas soccer is still affordable enough to go several times a year. People in the city are desperate to take advantage of every second of warm weather, so the fact that CFM can't get those people to take advantage of warm weather by watching CFM is an institutional failure.

I agree with a lot of this, but if you dig deeper you see how crazy it really is.... in the 80's and early 90's two people could watch the Expos for $10 in decent seats and even $2 if they were willing to sit beyond the wall and try to catch a homer.  Minimum wage was like $6, if i remember correctly.  The cheapest two people can spend to see CFM today is $60.  That's $2 to $60 for an equal product in 30 years.  Things are just too expensive today, it isn't sustainable.  Saputo would be full if tickets started at $10 or even $15.

I'll go a little further with my rant, go to a bar today and your average cocktail is half the size they were only 3-4 years ago and close to twice the price, and i'm not exaggerating.  I could not believe the size of the negroni i was served just yesterday and last week at two different places.  

Sorry Jacen!

Edited by costarg

9 hours ago, Macksam said:

You say it's wrong like it's a fact. Like myself, you don't know what the future holds. When MLS gains in popularity, it may or may not rise the tide for all it's member clubs. 

Pure laine? You lost me here.

Pure laine translated into English is pure wool. Meaning pure Quebecois going back a few generations at least. The implication for the rest of us, les autres,  I'll leave to your imagination.

Quebec in many ways is not like the rest of North America. What will float a franchise elsewhere will not necessarily do the same here.  I've mentioned it a number of times soccer is not a thing here. It's mainly an immigrant thing.

To illustrate that point CFM is owned by Joey Saputo. His grandfather was an immigrant. Saputo built Stade Saputo with his own money. Local media don't really give an ef about the team.

Another example to underscore my point. Take a look at the young players coming up for Montreal (22 and younger):

Bassong

Brault-Guillard

Ferdinand

Yao

Assi

Giraldo

Kone

Rea

Saliba

Zouhir

And then you have the sole pure laine: Sirois.

Those names tell me soccer hasn't penetrated into the Quebecois population. Well, not to any discernible level. That plus the clamp down on immigration, I don't see a rosy future for CFM or soccer in this province.

16 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Pure laine translated into English is pure wool. Meaning pure Quebecois going back a few generations at least. The implication for the rest of us, les autres,  I'll leave to your imagination.

How long has the term been used? Would a Quebecois family who moved to Ontario know this term?

Is it used similar to how Mangia Cake is used?

50 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

How long has the term been used? Would a Quebecois family who moved to Ontario know this term?

Is it used similar to how Mangia Cake is used?

I hate to out my fellow paisans but Mangia Cake is used as a derisive term.  The first Italians that came to Canada were not impressed with the bread in this country. It reminded them of cake. I gotta agree with them.

Pure laine is used by the Quebecois about themselves and it's to distinguish themselves from the dreaded Anglos. and les autres (the others) If you really want to understand the psychology behind pure laine watch a 1989 film produced by Lise Payette, Disparaître .   Basically the film expresses the fear that the Quebecois as a separate race or ethnic group will disappear because of the Anglos and the immigrants. It's a film about herd mentality.

It's funny how the Anglos of Ontario opened up their borders, accepted as many immigrants as possible and  are a thriving province while Quebec, well, I won't go there. 

18 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Quebec in many ways is not like the rest of North America. What will float a franchise elsewhere will not necessarily do the same here.  I've mentioned it a number of times soccer is not a thing here. It's mainly an immigrant thing.

To illustrate that point CFM is owned by Joey Saputo. His grandfather was an immigrant. Saputo built Stade Saputo with his own money. Local media don't really give an ef about the team.

Another example to underscore my point. Take a look at the young players coming up for Montreal (22 and younger):

Bassong

Brault-Guillard

Ferdinand

Yao

Assi

Giraldo

Kone

Rea

Saliba

Zouhir

And then you have the sole pure laine: Sirois.

Those names tell me soccer hasn't penetrated into the Quebecois population. Well, not to any discernible level. That plus the clamp down on immigration, I don't see a rosy future for CFM or soccer in this province.

Noted on Pure Laine. 

As for the bolded, Canada participating in the World Cup itself can help gain traction with "old stock" Canadians (which includes Quebecers) if that's a correct way to put it. Not sure if Quebec is similar but the last 15 or so years in Ontario, I have seen people you wouldn't typical constitute as soccer fans start to follow the sport to a significant degree. I'm talking your typical NHL consuming individuals, old and young, bars downtown are packed full of this demographic during WC matches, and they seem knowledgeable to. I have a co-worker born and raised in Huntsville who fits this very description. Now, obviously old stock from Ontario and Quebec are different but, the power of soccer is that it only takes 30 minutes to convert one for life. I think Canada participating in the World Cup and the World Cup in 2026 itself is going to change a lot of things here, with both old and new Canadians. 

Soccer always takes longer to take hold with the old stock, but I wonder how much of this has to do with Quebec's youth infrastructure. I'm not as familiar with soccer as the hockey one, but at least in hockey, Quebec has lacked behind Ontario and the west over the past few decades because our junior hockey system is archaic, nepotistic and less developed than elsewhere in the country. For youth sports, the players who keep moving up levels are the ones who have parents who can drive them to out of town tournaments, attend those extra practices, play with out of town teams, etc. All of that is easier to do in the GTA than quebec; if you're the best player in Trois-Rivieres, are your parents going to drive you back and forth to a team based in Montreal?

You see proof of this in the Quebckers who've made the national team over the last two years. Crepeau and I guess Pantemis aside (quebec is a great goalie hotbed in hockey, assume this translates to soccer), you've got Bassong, Piette, ZBG, and Kone. Bassong came up through France and Belgium, Piette came up with Metz and Dusseldorf, ZBG came up with Lyon, so unless I'm missing anyone, Kone is really the only player who is truly homegrown in Quebec, and he's very recent, so we'll see if this is a trend. I also don't think the NCAA really scouts in Quebec either, so unless you have connections in europe, your options are pretty limited.