Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

43 minutes ago, Kent said:

On the topic of British commentators, I can't stand the use of "just about". I've always understood that to mean "it almost happened, but didn't quite happen", but at least half of the British commentators (maybe all?) use it to mean "it happened, but only just barely". I can't blame them because I'm sure it's just a matter of where you grew up, but it still bothers me.

To echo what some others have said, I love the One Soccer content too. I watch every episode of One Soccer Today. They really understand us, and Wheeler at the very least you can tell he IS a Voyageur.

IE. "The keeper did just about enough to tip the shot over the bar."

For them that's a save (though a close one), for us it's almost a save.

As you say.

It's general British English usage and not just a commentary thing.  So I would think most use it.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, Kent said:

On the topic of British commentators, I can't stand the use of "just about". I've always understood that to mean "it almost happened, but didn't quite happen", but at least half of the British commentators (maybe all?) use it to mean "it happened, but only just barely". I can't blame them because I'm sure it's just a matter of where you grew up, but it still bothers me.

To echo what some others have said, I love the One Soccer content too. I watch every episode of One Soccer Today. They really understand us, and Wheeler at the very least you can tell he IS a Voyageur.

Some of the previous gen are past their prime.

Sharman on McCown's podcast didn't know basic stuff about Canada and Concacaf. Nigel Reed is caught in a English time warp to whenever he came to Canada. He also doesn't do his homework/age is catching up to him as he tries to hide it with non-stop traditional English announcer cliches. 

Of the new gen, many of them are learning on the job and still haven't figure out the cadence of a football match. Wheeler isn't your stereotypical Canadian pxp guy or the default British football pxp guy which is why he turns off some (but that is part of the game plan).. Wheeler brings a level of energy more in the vein of Latin broadcasting style. He brings the emerging style seen in social media, podcasts and streaming shows where the default isn't about balance but freely expressing your opinions with more than a pinch of abrasiveness.

Also, our soccer tv media isn't representative of the national team, Canada's population or the global sport that is soccer. Too British dominated and too white. In comparison, American soccer tv has usually 3 differing perspectives for any one match and a full stable of 8+ of varying backgrounds, genders, accents and styles. Even the British broadcasts have moved away from just having a one note perspective.

Edited by red card

21 minutes ago, red card said:

Wheeler brings a level of energy more in the vein of Latin broadcasting style. He brings the emerging style seen in social media, podcasts and streaming shows where the default isn't about balance but freely expressing your opinions with more than a pinch of abrasiveness.

Also, our soccer tv media isn't representative of the national team, Canada's population or the global sport that is soccer. Too British dominated and too white. In comparison, American soccer tv has usually 3 differing perspectives for any one match and a full stable of 8+ of varying backgrounds, genders, accents and styles. Even the British broadcasts have moved away from just having a one note perspective.

Interesting.

You're probably right. I can't stand Latin broadcasting style. It gives me anxiety and strikes me as super corny and cookie cutter. Though I've enjoyed Wheeler more often this cycle, it's probably to do with finding that groove of his own style (he seems soooooo much more comfortable). 

In thinking about it, it's energy that throws me for a loop. I crave that calm amid chaos. Sounds like others love the chaos a bit and it has to match what you love about the sport. 

We've had this conversation about Joe Buck. Football, I'm not a huge Joe Buck fan. Baseball, I love him. 

Edited by Califax

I've stayed out of this thread because I don't like hate threads and that's what I assumed this was haha

I love Wheeler's passion and don't mind that he's a huge homer and a bit corny at times but why is he such an ass to his fellow co-hosts on a pre-game show?

Also. If we are so fortunate enough to make the World Cup, I hope the official international English feed is picked up and we don't try to do our own broadcast. I think there is something so special about having the same World Cup broadcast as we always see but having our team in it. Hearing the world feed talk objectively about our players. 

I was really disappointed when the raptors finals had Jack Amstrong and co and not Mike Breen (aka Mr. BANG) in the finals. (Granted I basically only watch the NBA finals and am not a raptors follower so don't have the same love for Amstrong that I'm sure a lot of people from Toronto do). 

5 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

I've stayed out of this thread because I don't like hate threads and that's what I assumed this was haha

I love Wheeler's passion and don't mind that he's a huge homer and a bit corny at times but why is he such an ass to his fellow co-hosts on a pre-game show?

Also. If we are so fortunate enough to make the World Cup, I hope the official international English feed is picked up and we don't try to do our own broadcast. I think there is something so special about having the same World Cup broadcast as we always see but having our team in it. Hearing the world feed talk objectively about our players. 

I was really disappointed when the raptors finals had Jack Amstrong and co and not Mike Breen (aka Mr. BANG) in the finals. (Granted I basically only watch the NBA finals and am not a raptors follower so don't have the same love for Amstrong that I'm sure a lot of people from Toronto do). 

For Canada matches, TSN will have Wileman & Caldwell (maybe Kilbane if not in studio). Only question will be if they'll be in Qatar or calling it from Toronto. They followed this approach for Women's World Cup in France & in Canada. They'll only use the world feed if there are tech issues like there was when Canada played Netherlands in Montreal in 2015. Or as with with F1, the world feed will be an alternative feed option along with feeds such as tactical cam and follow a player on their streaming platform.

With OneSoccer, another consideration is that they probably didn't want to be me another me too of TSN or SN. They needed to stand out. Kurt Larson, Head of Content, is noted for delivering provocative commenatry. So I could see him being the main proponent of Wheeler's style. And with Platts being there, you get the balance of fan and analyst style commentaries. Adding KJ tilts it favour of hard core fans. I only think Dunfield is the weak link in terms of both bland delivery and run of the mill level of content.

OneSoccer isn't also an outlier. If you watch/listen ESPN+ or Paramount+ soccer streaming content, the tone and content is much more free wheeling and expansive than their regimented tv game broadcasts. Not being a slave to the timing & length of commercials really helps out. 

8 hours ago, Ruud said:

Anyone else cringe when wheeler jinxed us in 60th or so.  Celebration time or some nonsense. 

He was horrific last night. 

I thought he's been relatively decent with the National broadcasts. Seemed to tone down the homerism. But last night was really bad. Celebration time before 60 minutes. On top of that, anytime a Canadian player went down, he was livid and screaming. I remember Davies going down later in the game and he lost his mind. Davies tripped over his own feet/ball. Embarrassing. He's like one of us bipolar GDT fans posting his thoughts on commentary lol

Honestly it sucks because I was starting to enjoy him. I thought with the toned down style, he was doing great. I love the cheesiness of some of his lines. I love his passion. I just wish he would keep homerism down because last night he was at like a 400/10. 

Edited by Hawkguy

Wheeler's grown a lot on me over the past year. But he needs to stop pronouncing games dead at 60 and save talking about what the win means for Canada until after the whistle. He's play by play and studio broadcaster anyways, he'll have the time to talk later.

Also as far as the OneSoccer broadcast, was it driving anyone else crazy that they'd spend too long showing a replay and next thing you know we've missed something

Edit: after reading the match thread, yes we all hate the replay guy at OneSoccer

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

Wheeler was interviewed by the Athletic today. Quotes of note:

Neutrality: ...Herdman always talked to me about this ‘New Canada,’ and I felt like that needed to take place off the field, as well. Where cynicism gets pushed to the side, and that we move in the direction of backing this program. This isn’t like calling two club teams. This is our national team. If you watch broadcasts from around the world, everyone wants their home nation to do well.

Oh Canada, Oh Baby: It came out of my mouth in 2019...  I used that call in the game just to kind of stress how big this moment was: beating your rival, the United States. I got back back to the office later in the week and my co-workers, my friends and people around the office were like, ‘That was great. Oh Canada, oh baby.’ We started to put it in promo reels. And so I’ve gone with it. I save it for big moments. I just don’t throw it out fleetingly.

Practice Calls: No. Never. The only thing I ever script – loosely script – is the intro to the game.

Social/Forums: Honestly? Never....I see what people (send) me, because it ends up in my Twitter. I see what people DM me. I have fans engage me, whether it’s in the stadium or on the street. I hear people when they’re appreciative of the flavour of my call or whatever has transpired, and I know that I’m not everyone’s cup of tea. No one’s every going to be everyone’s cup of tea. … I think it says something to be memorable. You never want to just go out and be vanilla.....If you’re asking about criticism from fans, not one person has come up to me and said anything about a broadcast to my face.

https://theathletic.com/2962679/2021/11/17/gareth-wheeler-qa-on-voicing-canadian-soccer-critics-and-oh-canada-oh-baby/?article_source=search&search_query=Gareth Wheeler

My only criticism of him is similar to the calling of results before the game ended (somehow I didn't notice that this week) is on One Soccer Today he has been giving a bunch of 100% guarantees. To be fair, I don't think any of his 100% results have gone the wrong way for him, but it still annoys me a bit. I think he even guaranteed that Canada would be top of the group once game 8 is finished, which panned out.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

My only criticism of him is similar to the calling of results before the game ended (somehow I didn't notice that this week) is on One Soccer Today he has been giving a bunch of 100% guarantees. To be fair, I don't think any of his 100% results have gone the wrong way for him, but it still annoys me a bit. I think he even guaranteed that Canada would be top of the group once game 8 is finished, which panned out.

Mark Messier guarantees a cup and he's a hero. Wheeler makes similar guarantees from the announcer's booth and he is annoying. He's just expressing his feelings and opinions.

This guy has become so important to me.  He's biased and doesn't care, he's exactly what we need at this moment.  People that tune into CANMNT feel the new energy and belief.  Not many others could deliver what he does.  He's a huge part of me enjoying this new era so much, I just love it more and more.  If anything, my biggest complaint is he needs a raise.

14 hours ago, red card said:

Wheeler was interviewed by the Athletic today. Quotes of note:

Neutrality: ...Herdman always talked to me about this ‘New Canada,’ and I felt like that needed to take place off the field, as well. Where cynicism gets pushed to the side, and that we move in the direction of backing this program. This isn’t like calling two club teams. This is our national team. If you watch broadcasts from around the world, everyone wants their home nation to do well.

Oh Canada, Oh Baby: It came out of my mouth in 2019...  I used that call in the game just to kind of stress how big this moment was: beating your rival, the United States. I got back back to the office later in the week and my co-workers, my friends and people around the office were like, ‘That was great. Oh Canada, oh baby.’ We started to put it in promo reels. And so I’ve gone with it. I save it for big moments. I just don’t throw it out fleetingly.

Practice Calls: No. Never. The only thing I ever script – loosely script – is the intro to the game.

Social/Forums: Honestly? Never....I see what people (send) me, because it ends up in my Twitter. I see what people DM me. I have fans engage me, whether it’s in the stadium or on the street. I hear people when they’re appreciative of the flavour of my call or whatever has transpired, and I know that I’m not everyone’s cup of tea. No one’s every going to be everyone’s cup of tea. … I think it says something to be memorable. You never want to just go out and be vanilla.....If you’re asking about criticism from fans, not one person has come up to me and said anything about a broadcast to my face.

https://theathletic.com/2962679/2021/11/17/gareth-wheeler-qa-on-voicing-canadian-soccer-critics-and-oh-canada-oh-baby/?article_source=search&search_query=Gareth Wheeler

The Athletic had an article about the national team?  I thought I saw a couple of pigs flying in the air this morning...

I'll be honest - I just can't take the Wheeler/Dunfield Homer twins anymore - and I'll tell you why.  Yes, it's bad when they call the games at 60 minutes ("Canada just seeing this one out comfortably now"), or when they heap unwarranted effusive praise on the Canadians ("Herdman has had Tata in his back pocket all night long").  But what's crosses the line for me is all the little fratboy/fanboy comments - "See ya later" or "Don't even try it" when a Canadian dribbles a defender, "How is that not a foul?!" or "Oh, come on!" for non-calls against us, etc.  It's blatant, it's unprofessional and it's borderline juvenile - in fact it's exactly what I say when I'm watching the game.  And that's the problem - I don't want commentators to say what I'm saying, I want them to be the voice of reason, or at least be a little balanced.  Is that too much to ask?

Edited by GasPed

26 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Why do you want that?

It's interesting.  I think it's the same reason I don't go to a sports bar to watch the games - I want to watch it without someone beside me screaming about a missed call or yelling "Goodbye" every time Phonzie dribbles someone.  I find that stuff annoying (even though I say/think the same things 😉).  But I'm willing to admit others might like it.  And I'm also willing to turn down my TV on my broadcast if I have to (or wear earplugs to my sports bar).  But I'd rather not.  😉

Edited by GasPed

30 minutes ago, GasPed said:

It's interesting.  I think it's the same reason I don't go to a sports bar to watch the games - I want to watch it without someone beside me screaming about a missed call or yelling "Goodbye" every time Phonzie dribbles someone.  I find that stuff annoying (even though I say/think the same things 😉).  But I'm willing to admit others might like it.  And I'm also willing to turn down my TV on my broadcast if I have to (or wear earplugs to my sports bar).  But I'd rather not.  😉

And I think in that way you and I are very different people.  Part of what I like about this is the camaraderie with like-minded individuals.  If I'm out at a pub and there is a poor call (in my mind), I'm really not interested in listening to someone at my table quoting the rulebook.  I want the viewing of a game to be emotional rather than a logical interpretation of the events.  That to me is more fun.

This doesn't mean I need to agree with everything that is said.  I often don't.  But if there is no emotion or stakes behind what is happening then I might as well just watch the highlights later instead.  Or read the match recap in the paper (showing my age there).

^ I remember watching that game in the Lieutenant's Pump in Ottawa with one other guy and we both went crazy, first with the goal and then at the call.

Now, if that guy (I can't remember his name, but he was on here for a hot second) then turned to me and said: "Well, by the letter of the law Hutchinson was offside, plus the game is so fast nowadays that you can't blame the linesman blah blah blah..." I probably would've thrown him thru a window.

Edited by El Hombre