Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

10 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Not unlike Danny Gallivan before him, he is revolutionizing play-by-play for Canadian soccer and is inspiring the next generation. 

Don't even put them in the same breath.  I'm serious, and this is coming from a guy who when he was a kid hated Gallivan and the Habs, I was too young to see the greatness,  Gallivan is the GOAT. 

As a kid my favourite was the forgotten Bill Hewitt who had a great voice and sense of urgency but was a terrible broadcaster technically speaking.

This might interest some old timers

Foster's Shadow: The On-Air Meltdown of Bill Hewitt

11 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Don't even put them in the same breath.  I'm serious, and this is coming from a guy who when he was a kid hated Gallivan and the Habs, I was too young to see the greatness,  Gallivan is the GOAT. 

As a kid my favourite was the forgotten Bill Hewitt who had a great voice and sense of urgency but was a terrible broadcaster technically speaking.

This might interest some old timers

Foster's Shadow: The On-Air Meltdown of Bill Hewitt

I remember watching/listening that night!  Freaky!

gareth as a pundit: i have absolutely no problem with.  a lot of the stuff he says, i agree with actually or am already thinking about

gareth as a play-by-play man: totally clown.  ridiculous, immature, amateur, embarassment

sombebody find and put a gun to nigel reid's head.  make him do the MNT's games!

actually... now that i think of it, take peter schaad hostage and make him the colour man!

actually now that i think of it more....

Best Play-by-Play Man:

Nigel Reid

Peter Schad

Best Colour Man:

Graham Leggat

Peter Schad

Terry Dunfield

Hosts:

Andi Petrillo

Luke Weilman

Best pundits:

Kristian Jack

James Sharman

Gareth Wheeler

Jason DeVos

Oliver Platt

Steven Cauldwel

Julian DeGuzman

Bobby Lenarduzzi

Kevin Kilbane

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am probably more biased because I talked to him tonight but I am on board with the Wheeler homerism.  Sure some of the puns are a bit silly but I will take a fan of Canadian footy any time.  He gives a shit and I am good with that.  

That must have been a one messy talk you guys had.😁

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I used to like Nigel Reed, but it's hard to go back to him after experiencing Wheeler. Now he seems pretty boring, but he's still OK.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Nigel Reed almost managed to make watching our women win the Olympics seem boring. That's a no thanks from me.

Oh man, I love Nigel. 

This thread really gives a window into what people like, I guess. I agree with the other poster above the Wheeler is an outstanding studio analyst. Not a huge fan of his PxP, but it's a style thing I suppose. I quite like Adam Jenkins. 

Edited by Califax

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I like Gareth Wheeler. Sometimes he's a bit hammy, maybe a bit annoying but he brings good energy. I laugh everytime he says "On flames" because I know, that he knows, that we know, it's ridiculous but whatever.

I like the passion and energy 

This is essential.
Nigel Reed is a classic voice....that is now best for Curling.

Gareth is a new style we have never experienced, and I love it. You can tell he actually has a passion/follows the game and it's not just a job or role. 

2 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Really prefer the eloquent English style where they'll throw ten dollar adjectives at something. Get a kick out of the phrasing sometimes and wish we had announcers who were a bit more silver-tongued and stay away from catch phrases.

I actually hate the North American feelings that an English accent makes everything sound better. 

Can we have our own identity that makes us Canada? Turn on TSN, British guys all over it...turn on Onesoccer same thing.

I'm team @RocketWheeler lol

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

I actually hate the North American feelings that an English accent makes everything sound better. 

Can we have our own identity that makes us Canada? Turn on TSN, British guys all over it...turn on Onesoccer same thing.

I'm not talking about the posh accent or whatever, I mean that they just use the language better. It's generally more descriptive and they don't lean on cliches. There's also an inherent irony that I find appealing when you're describing a testy sports game in a higher register. The NFL/NBA style is vulgar and annoying to me, to overstate it a little.

Edited by Lansdude

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Everyone on the OneSoccer panel has a clear love for Canadian soccer, accent or not. I honestly love their content as it generally hits the topics that I'm interested as a follower of Canadian soccer. 

Wheeler is a homer, but I love him for that. We've all seen those videos of Mexican broadcasters reacting to goals, of Central American pundits losing their minds over grueling defeats, Wheeler is our guy for that. If I were an opposing fan, sure I'd hate hearing the play by play done by a Canadian homer. But as a Canadian, I'm just glad I'm listening to someone who believes in our program as opposed to ESPN shitheads like Taylor Twellman who we've heard for multiple Gold Cups.

11 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

I'm not talking about the posh accent or whatever, I mean that they just use the language better. It's generally more descriptive and they don't lean on cliches. There's also an inherent irony that I find appealing when you're describing a testy sports game in a higher register. The NFL/NBA style is vulgar and annoying to me, to overstate it a little.

Commentary is obviously a skill and you need to combine that with knowledge of, first the sport and then the teams/players.

The Brits have a huge pool of guys that are decent in those areas.  Like a lot of things the more the sport grows in Canada, the better pool of commentators you will get.

Try watching BBC people do hockey or pretty much any winter Olympic sport for the other side of the coin.

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Commentary is obviously a skill and you need to combine that with knowledge of, first the sport and then the teams/players.

The Brits have a huge pool of guys that are decent in those areas.  Like a lot of things the more the sport grows in Canada, the better pool of commentators you will get.

Try watching BBC people do hockey or pretty much any winter Olympic sport for the other side of the coin.

No argument here, we just don't have a lot of that specific combination of talent. if Wheeler is really the best combination of those traits then there we go, but I doubt it. We do have Sharman who has a bit of knack for a turn of phrase (again not because he's got a British accent).

I like the English dry understated style for British games, I like the over the top dramatic Latin style for Latin American games. I like Canadian style, which encompasses a bit of everything with Canadian references for Canadian games. This can really only be provided by a Canadian. So I think Gareth has been doing a great job.

I've been really enjoying what Onesoccer has been doing during this qualification journey. Props to Sportsnet for just turning over the coverage to them

Edited by SpursFlu

46 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Or when the BBC do the Superbowl! Though in fairness it's complicated and they've got better in recent years.

On the topic of British commentators, I can't stand the use of "just about". I've always understood that to mean "it almost happened, but didn't quite happen", but at least half of the British commentators (maybe all?) use it to mean "it happened, but only just barely". I can't blame them because I'm sure it's just a matter of where you grew up, but it still bothers me.

To echo what some others have said, I love the One Soccer content too. I watch every episode of One Soccer Today. They really understand us, and Wheeler at the very least you can tell he IS a Voyageur.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

On the topic of British commentators, I can't stand the use of "just about". I've always understood that to mean "it almost happened, but didn't quite happen", but at least half of the British commentators (maybe all?) use it to mean "it happened, but only just barely". I can't blame them because I'm sure it's just a matter of where you grew up, but it still bothers me.

To echo what some others have said, I love the One Soccer content too. I watch every episode of One Soccer Today. They really understand us, and Wheeler at the very least you can tell he IS a Voyageur.

Ha.  That one always bugs me too.