Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

But why did it annoy you? This year's TFC has given young academy prospects more playing time than any of the Canadian MLS and CPL teams have and likely more minutes than any CPL or MLS team ever has.

But its a flawed comparison.  Van and Montreal sent a lot of their young prospects out on loan.  Campagna, Fracheneri, Pecile, Coyln even Boehmer got loaned out.  Montreal sent Yao, Ferdinand, Rea, Sirois out to get experience.  TFC sat on their young guys (except Romeo), and any time Rutty/Nelsen/Okello et al got at TFC2 is at too low a level to be much use to them at this "hump" point in the development.  I know you understand the frustration of watching some of these useless vets for TFC continue to get undeserved minutes when good prospects sat for most of the year.  I am biased but I think the TFC young guys are the best of all 3 MLS clubs and TFC should be leading in youth minutes every year.  But if the braintrust (former brainstrust hehehe) wasnt serious/honest about playing them enough minutes to help them along then they should have loaned a few more out to clear up room for the rest.  

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

Not Wheeler-related (though I will chime in and say his TFC bias was obvious in the V-Cup call), but if I was a Whitecaps fan, I'd be quite annoyed that TSN had Wileman and Caldwell on the broadcast for their playoff match instead of the usual crew that calls the Whitecaps games. I know that's TSN's #1 pairing, but I'd prefer to hear from people that actual know the team and its players.

Maybe.  But as I've said before, I really do like objective commentary.  I like it, for instance, when Caldwell points out that Jake Nerwinski is a right-footer playing the left side and that KC is exploiting that at times (which they were, because Jake was making some bad left foot passes, and taking too long to get the ball onto his right foot).  Would Dolan have said that?  Hard to know, but regardless, as far as I'm concerned, good commentators call it exactly like they see it - I don't want them sugarcoating it for me just because I'm a fan, or they're a fan...

Edited by GasPed

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

But it wasn't just at the end of the season.

These were numbers calculated from @Corazon's MLS minutes stats at the beginning of August.

Canadian club homegrown teenagers played this year

- Ralph Priso  (19) 506 minutes
- Jayden Nelson (18) 113 minutes
- Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty  (17) 35 minutes
- Kamron Habibullah (17) 30 minutes
- Rida Zouhir (17) 15 minutes

1. Toronto 654 minutes
2. Vancouver 30 minutes
3. Montreal 15 minutes

Canadian club homegrown U21 played this year

- Luke Singh (20) 395 minutes
- Jordan Peruzza (20) 64 minutes

1. Toronto 1113 minutes
2. Vancouver 30 minutes
3. Montreal 15 minutes

Canadian club U22 played this year

- Michael Baldisimo (21) 850 minutes
- Ayo Akinola (21) 649 minutes
- Luke Singh (20) 395 minutes
- Jacob Shaffelburg (21) 299 minutes
- Noble Okello (21) 187 minutes
- Jordan Peruzza (20) 64 minutes
- Theo Bair (21) 27 minutes

1. Toronto 2248 minutes
2. Vancouver 907 minutes
3. Montreal 15 minutes

Toronto 9 players
Vancouver 2 players
Montreal 2 players

As was discussed when these numbers were originally posted that the stats look good because they are cherry picked for age, but that is what is being discussed, young academy products. Montreal and Vancouver likely do a better job with just straight Canadian player minute comparison.

I haven't done the calculations for the end of the year but I am sure TFC was able to give at least 1,500 minutes of combined playing time to domestic players under the age of 21 as required by CPL.

Now when we get into specifics about players like Dwyer and Mullins over Peruzza I am right there standing hand in hand with all you biased TFC haters 😋.

This correlates with what I've been saying for a while. TFC's top prospects skew way younger than those of the other two teams.

That should be taken into account when making blanket statements about which teams are more "Canadian" than others.

Just now, RS said:

This correlates with what I've been saying for a while. TFC's top prospects skew way younger than those of the other two teams.

That should be taken into account when making blanket statements about which teams are more "Canadian" than others.

This is only really a point in TFC's favour if you expect the club to hold onto these players and play them more as they get older and grow into their roles.

Just now, jonovision said:

This is only really a point in TFC's favour if you expect the club to hold onto these players and play them more as they get older and grow into their roles.

Not all of them will pan out, but TFC should do everything in their power to ensure that they do.

Regardless, the other teams not playing their teenagers isn't exactly a point against TFC.

On 11/22/2021 at 1:49 PM, GasPed said:

I like it, for instance, when Caldwell points out that Jake Nerwinski is a right-footer playing the left side and that KC is exploiting that at times (which they were, because Jake was making some bad left foot passes, and taking too long to get the ball onto his right foot).  

They had a naturally left footed CB in their squad who can also play LCB in a three man back line but they exiled him to Greece where, funny story, he was able to get himself back into the CNT picture while playing there. 

Regarding Dolan:  when I have taken the time to listen to stretches of some broadcasts (which isn't often, granted), he tends to default to the positive with Whitecaps players.  His first comment when Raposo comes into the game (which didn't happen much after MDS left) was always, "I love his energy."  But he has urged guys like Baldisimo to be better, rightly pointing out shortcomings in his play.  I actually thought current Caps Academy coach Dasovic was more critical during broadcasts.

Edited by BearcatSA

• 2 weeks later...

OneSoccer had a panel at our Battalion event last night with Adam Jenkins moderating and Ollie, Gareth and KJ in the panel, lots of questions were asked from the crowd! It was thoroughly entertaining and Gareth comes across as a bit of a joker when he has a beer in hand, I found him to be quite funny actually! I had a chance to have a good chat with him afterwords when they were just hanging out, I can'r say I ever didn't like him but I really respect the guy now, he is very personable as as mentioned quite the character! The whole panel stressed at how they are trying to improve on the budget they have and how much they appreciate the support of the fans, these are genuine good guys in my opinion!

10 hours ago, gator said:

OneSoccer had a panel at our Battalion event last night with Adam Jenkins moderating and Ollie, Gareth and KJ in the panel, lots of questions were asked from the crowd! It was thoroughly entertaining and Gareth comes across as a bit of a joker when he has a beer in hand, I found him to be quite funny actually! I had a chance to have a good chat with him afterwords when they were just hanging out, I can'r say I ever didn't like him but I really respect the guy now, he is very personable as as mentioned quite the character! The whole panel stressed at how they are trying to improve on the budget they have and how much they appreciate the support of the fans, these are genuine good guys in my opinion!

One the flipside you have tons of west coasters on Twitter calling him arrogant.

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

One the flipside you have tons of west coasters on Twitter calling him arrogant.

Let’s not forget about perspective. Their coverage is undoubtedly biased but it’s also understandable to a certain degree considering everything 

10 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The criticisms were fair imo. Didn't see anyone call him arrogant.

The Voyageurs Cup final was a joke. I felt bad for any non TFC fan that watched it.

11 hours ago, gator said:

Sounds similar to what they did in Edmonchuk.  Pulled it off quite well I thought with Jenkins, moderating as you say, working the mic and the crowd.  Not exactly re-inventing the wheel but it's an outstanding promotional scheme and great, informal fun.   

Risky business though.  Never know what you'll run into down at the pub. 😈 

13 hours ago, narduch said:

The criticisms were fair imo. Didn't see anyone call him arrogant.

There was a now-deleted tweet from a PFC supporters group insinuating that Wheeler was cheering for Forge at the pre-game event that @gator attended. The tweet drew a response from both Kristian Jack and Wheeler.

I'm sure @VinceA has seen other examples as well. 

2 minutes ago, RS said:

There was a now-deleted tweet from a PFC supporters group insinuating that Wheeler was cheering for Forge at the pre-game event that @gator attended. The tweet drew a response from both Kristian Jack and Wheeler.

I saw 1 comment calling them arrogant but for the most part the criticisms seemed fair and warranted.

As I've stated previously the Voyageurs Cup broadcast with Wheeler and Dunfield on the call was a joke

Edited by narduch

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

I saw 1 comment calling them arrogant but for the most part the criticisms seemed fair and warranted.

As I've stated previously the Voyageurs Cup broadcast with Wheeler and Dunfield on the call was a joke

Right, but just because you haven't seen the unfair criticisms doesn't mean there weren't any.

I agree with you that the Voyageurs Cup final sounded too much like a TFC home broadcast, by the way.

14 minutes ago, RS said:

I didn't actually see the tweets before they were deleted but I did read the discussion about it, the 3 PFC guys seemed like alright guys but to get your nose out of joint about any of the banter at that event is being a little sensitive! WTF do guys expect at an event organized by The Battalion which is the Forge supporters group, there were hundreds of the Battalion there and 3 of them! I thought the panel answered the question about who wins fairly and although all expected a Forge victory like me concerns over fatigue from travel, fixture congestion and key injuries were  expressed! I suppose it's easy to delete tweets after you win, no one likes a bitter winner!😀

34 minutes ago, RS said:

Right, but just because you haven't seen the unfair criticisms doesn't mean there weren't any.

I agree with you that the Voyageurs Cup final sounded too much like a TFC home broadcast, by the way.

I follow CanPL and CanMNT fairly religiously on Twitter and I thought most of the criticism was valid.

It was pretty funny  to see Armen Bedakian admit One Soccer needs to do a better job while guys like Wheeler got their backs up.