Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Do you only cheer because they help you? And when say it's not a penalty you immediately calm down? When the other team attacks and you bite your nails, do you stop if they tell you not to worry? 

Fans with no mind of their own, and no emotions either.

Seems the whole point for you is to be the programmed bot your parents always wanted you to be. 

Having others share your excitement is one of the big draws of sports. If you had a choice between watching that Canada vs Panama game as the only spectator, or being with 26,000 other fans, it is more exciting with the 26,000 other fans. It doesn't tell you how to feel, but it magnifies your emotions.

"Since one year we have seen games on TV with the best clubs in the world and the best players in the world, and it was so boring, and it's still so boring, because the fans are not there – the fans singing, jumping, supporting their teams." That quote is from (apparently) mindless, emotionless Eric Cantona.

This doesn't directly equate to their strengths as a commentator, but I have a question. If you can have 1 Canadian soccer commentator (past or present) over to watch a national team game with you at your house, who is it? Leggat, Rauter, Dobson, Reed, Wheeler, or someone else?

For me it would be Wheeler easily. And no cheating by saying something like "Wheeler so that he isn't doing the commentary on the broadcast!"

1 hour ago, Kent said:

This doesn't directly equate to their strengths as a commentator, but I have a question. If you can have 1 Canadian soccer commentator (past or present) over to watch a national team game with you at your house, who is it? Leggat, Rauter, Dobson, Reed, Wheeler, or someone else?

For me it would be Wheeler easily. And no cheating by saying something like "Wheeler so that he isn't doing the commentary on the broadcast!"

Some thoughts:

When Dobson was calling games, you could sometimes tell he was extremely annoyed with what was going on on the field (even angry) but he was doing his best to contain his emotions.  Forrest not so much.  It would be interesting to see how Dobson reacts without the constraints of professionalism.

For Reed, does his personality match his play by play?  Or does he join the die hard fans in the back row while wearing a hat and fake moustache to let out some more raw emotion?

Wheeler watching a game is the same as Wheeler calling a game.  :)

Edited by AvroArrow

1 hour ago, Kent said:

You left out Steve Armitage and Luke Wileman.

Most of us have the predilection of thinking whatever we liked as 15/16 year olds as being the best.  I am very cognizant not to judge what was of my era as better.  I have no qualms calling what was poop in my era as poop which begs the question why are movies remade and music sampled that was poop in the first place. But I also know that many posters are quite young and many have a BM attitude and are woefully ignorant of history.  I can claim I've seen everything they've seen but they haven't seen everything I've seen. 

Wheeler would be last only because of his pre prepared material that comes across as unnatural.  I love his passion and think he has a good knowledge but he seems so genuine it's easy to tell when he's not.

Otherwise the rest I would have at a similar preference level each with strengths and weaknesses.

Here's how subjective things can be.  When I was a kid I hated the Habs and by proxy Danny Gallivan.  I loved the Leafs' Bill Hewitt. 

I collect videos of historic and old sports games.  As I see them now with a more critical and knowledgeable ear Bill Hewitt had a great voice and sense of urgency but was otherwise technically not so good.  Danny Gallivan in my books is one of the greatest sports broadcasters of all time, I can't think of any hockey commentator that was/is even close and I think they would all say the same.  Foster Hewitt was the most famous and had the greatest call but technically does not compare. 

BTW for any old lumps of coal out there who wonder how and why Bill Hewitt suddenly disappeared the answer (sorta) is below .  It's an interesting read.

Foster's Shadow: The On-Air Meltdown of Bill Hewitt by Kliph Nesteroff

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

16 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Some thoughts:

When Dobson was calling games, you could sometimes tell he was extremely annoyed with what was going on on the field (even angry) but he was doing his best to contain his emotions.  Forrest not so much.  It would be interesting to see how Dobson reacts without the constraints of professionalism

That was because of the Concacafing, but we're doing the Concacafing now :)  Shout out to Doneil "Who Me" Henry.

1 hour ago, AvroArrow said:

Some thoughts:

When Dobson was calling games, you could sometimes tell he was extremely annoyed with what was going on on the field (even angry) but he was doing his best to contain his emotions.  Forrest not so much.  It would be interesting to see how Dobson reacts without the constraints of professionalism.

There are exceptions and one huge one was when the traitor Sydney Leroux scored an injury time goal in a thrashing of our women's team at BMO and taunted the South Stands by pointing to the American badge on her jersey, Forrest famously responded with "YOU CAN HAVE HER", I thought that was great especially since he is usually quite reserved!

29 minutes ago, Kent said:

Thanks for the Armitage and Wileman shout outs @Joe MacCarthy, I forgot them somehow. Some googling tells me Brian Budd is probably who you are referring to by "Budgie". He's before my time, I know of him but didn't realize he was a commentator.

Him and Sharman were on TheScore there for a while, entertaining if not especially insightful but well worth the watch.

I think of Budgie I think of someone hamming it up for the camera.  Could be great stuff but sometimes got out there into "Drunk Uncle" territory, at which point it got fantastic.  Or cringe worthy.  It's a fine line between genius and madness 

Budgie would not be offended by that analysis.

Edited by Cheeta

3 hours ago, Kent said:

i would love to watch a game with wheels because he's a fan like i am

i've said before that i don't even notice commenary when i'm watching a game, too dialed in to the action on the field and i've found a way to minimize the commentary on my soundbar so the crowd noise is much higher. watching the replay of the phonzie goal on sportscentre i was so impressed with wheels' call, thinking to myself "holy sh*t, he's figured it out", then about 10 seconds later there was a moment of silence and then "alphonso davieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!" 🤦‍♂️

as for the ongoing debate of "what will attract casuals to become diehards?", all my buddies who were casuals are becoming diehards solely because of the results on the field, and all of them think he's a joke. It doesn't affect anything.

8 hours ago, Kent said:

Fuckin' Wheels, no question.  By the 70th minute, we'd be knee deep in a case and we'd both be screaming at the top of our lungs about whatever bullshit call was just made by the ref.  That would be a great time had by all.

My last choice would be Rauter, because it would go down something like this:

*quietly to myself for the first 89 minutes* - "He's going to say it. He can't help himself.  He has to say it. Why does he always have to say it?  Jesus, I hope he doesn't say it."

*final whistle sounds*

Rauter - "And make the fin..."

*me smashing a beer bottle* - "DON'T YOU DARE FINISH THAT SENTENCE!"

14 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

I've always liked Gerry Dobson and Craig Forrest  . My personal favourite moment was during the 2007  Gold Cup fsemi Final vs the U.S.  and the debacle that was that dissallowed goal seeing Both Dobson and Forest just lose there shit on Live TV was hilarous.

Where is Gerry? I’m so sad he disappeared. I would have hoped he would be a celebrity fan ... showing up at games and going on podcasts/Twitter. 

Is he okay? Hard to believe he would be quiet now with the team so good.

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Where is Gerry? I’m so sad he disappeared. I would have hoped he would be a celebrity fan ... showing up at games and going on podcasts/Twitter. 

Is he okay? Hard to believe he would be quiet now with the team so good.

Ive heard he is living in the States now enjoying retirement