Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

I think by design or accident they have realized that Wheeler is the Don Cherry “love him or hate him” character of their productions — complete with crazier and crazier outfits, notice — and judging by the posts in this forum it’s working. I think that his “hot takes” are as rightly derided by Dunfield as DC’s were by MacLean, but that too could be part of the shtick. Wheeler (as far as I know) is not a bigoted jerk like Cherry who let his Trumpism show the older he got. He is, however, as genuinely passionate as Cherry was which I will take any day over the “Compliments Brand No Name Passionate Announcer TM” that is Vic Rauter. 

People for years have been complaining (and still do) about the lack of media coverage this sport gets in Canada. More specifically the men’s team. Here we have a man who clearly cares and pours his heart into the game IN CANADA and we want to shit on him? You don’t have to like how he commentates but we need good knowledgeable people like this working in this country. 

I voted yes even though he has his flaws, just like Herdman I am hoping he can learn and improve! My biggest issue with him is when he gets too wound up and babbles continuously, this seems to happen when he is on with Dunfield, I have watched CPL matches where he is doing it solo and it is night and day, he actually is quiet for stretches and lets the play do the talking! I don't mind him being a homer for Canada matches, I would prefer that over a homer American quite honestly, I personally think Adam Jenkins is the best that OneSoccer has for play by play!

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I'm actually amazed that people care about this issue so much one way or the other. I must be the weird one - I couldnt care less about Wheeler. He has no positive or negative impact on my enjoyment of the matches tbh. 

I am on the same boat.  Like his analysis and One Soccer bits, but am fairly ambivalent about the play by play.  It is what it is.  As @Alex pointed out, I am just happy we have this sort of platform dedicated to Canadian soccer.  

5 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I am really liking Nigel Reed. He and Clare have been very good. 

I like Nigel Reed too, I put on old games he has done whenever I have trouble sleeping. Sorry but Nigel Reed give me Wheeler every time over this guy . Nigel would be perfect doing golf I’m surprised he did not go that route .

2 minutes ago, shorty said:

"you people" is just a boomer crudely speaking in a non-PC fashion. I have experienced racism, but sure we can agree to disagree on what racism is, no problem!

30 minutes ago, Alex said:

People for years have been complaining (and still do) about the lack of media coverage this sport gets in Canada. More specifically the men’s team. Here we have a man who clearly cares and pours his heart into the game IN CANADA and we want to shit on him? You don’t have to like how he commentates but we need good knowledgeable people like this working in this country. 

Yup totally agree , he knows Canadian soccer , the players , history and any current things happening with Canadian players and the Canadian game . I want my commentators to be on the ball with the comings and going’s of the Canadian player and the Canadian game and Wheeler is on the ball when it comes to that . 

3 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Yup totally agree , he knows Canadian soccer , the players , history and any current things happening with Canadian players and the Canadian game . I want my commentators to be on the ball with the comings and going’s of the Canadian player and the Canadian game and Wheeler is on the ball when it comes to that . 

THIS