Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, AvroArrow said:

Would agree on the pronouncing that "the game is over" with lots of time still left on the clock.  If you are wrong you'll have to eat those words.  Other than that, these guys generally increase the excitement of the game.

Funniest example I've ever seen of when "the game is over" went wrong.  Not a soccer example, but I think most will like it:

Toronto Raptors were in LA to play the Lakers.  They had a crazy lead of 20-30 points in around HALFTIME causing a very excited Chuck Swirtsky, the play-by-play guy for the Raptors at the time, to inexplicably yell out his catchphrase "Break out the salami and cheese Momma, this game is over!"  He said this half way through the game.  Seriously.

Well, this game happened to be Kobe Bryant's epic 81 point game and the Lakers ended up turning the game around and smoking the Raptors. 

12 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Wheels, sweetheart, baby.  You gotta stop pronouncing games over at 70 minutes.  Just noticed someone complaining about it at another forum and it has been mentioned here.  One of these days you are going to look like a real horse's ass if you keep doing it.

The Dobber and the Duz got caught and Gerry learned his lesson and never did it again and would caution Duz when he would head that way.

There's a reason Yogi Berra said "It ain't over till it's over"

Wasn’t it Dunfield that came out with, “game, set, and match” at 70 minutes?

Edit: I actually really like hearing Dunfield’s take. He’s been through it, and he still seems so excited by this team 

Edited by Aird25

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Wasn’t it Dunfield that came out with, “game, set, and match” at 70 minutes?

Edit: I actually really like hearing Dunfield’s take. He’s been through it, and he still seems so excited by this team 

Yes, it was Dunfield.

One thing for Wheels is he captures the zeitgeist of the biggest moments. The Haiti own goal & now the Davies goal. 

For the Davies goal, a typical North American broadcast would likely have the announcer or analyst going on something not related to what's happening on the pitch. But Wheels was on top of it from the play's entrails.

8 hours ago, Cheeta said:

At close to half a million views, that highlight clip of Phonzie's goal has introduced the Wheeler / Dunfield broadcast personalities to Planet Earth.

I'm good with that.

I thought the Josué Duverger own goal did that.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

12 hours ago, Metro said:

Funniest example I've ever seen of when "the game is over" went wrong.  Not a soccer example, but I think most will like it:

Toronto Raptors were in LA to play the Lakers.  They had a crazy lead of 20-30 points in around HALFTIME causing a very excited Chuck Swirtsky, the play-by-play guy for the Raptors at the time, to inexplicably yell out his catchphrase "Break out the salami and cheese Momma, this game is over!"  He said this half way through the game.  Seriously.

Well, this game happened to be Kobe Bryant's epic 81 point game and the Lakers ended up turning the game around and smoking the Raptors. 

"Game well and truly over...." said Sky Sports' Andy Grey as the ball rolled in for Hernan Crespo's 2nd goal to put Milan up 3-nil just before half-time during the 2005 Champions League final in Istanbul. How'd that final turn out?

16 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

Would agree on the pronouncing that "the game is over" with lots of time still left on the clock.  If you are wrong you'll have to eat those words.  Other than that, these guys generally increase the excitement of the game.

KJ, Oliver, and Andi give the analysis.  Gareth and Terry give the emotion.  And I'm good with this.  I'm not watching the Canadian national team because I'm looking for a technical breakdown of soccer tactics.  I'm watching it because I'll either be wildly fist pumping in my living room or pounding the floor in disgust.  There really is no in between.

Do you only cheer because they help you? And when say it's not a penalty you immediately calm down? When the other team attacks and you bite your nails, do you stop if they tell you not to worry? 

Fans with no mind of their own, and no emotions either.

Seems the whole point for you is to be the programmed bot your parents always wanted you to be. 

15 hours ago, RS said:

Wheeler's 40 years old and has been around Canadian soccer for most of that time.

Which explains his cringe-worthy "here's Johnny", referencing a TV show he never saw and I find has a pungent mothball aroma--and I am from that older generation. 

I'd rather hed say "go Johnny go and do the watusi" (Patti Smith), anything remotely less rancid or minimally creative. 

17 hours ago, narduch said:

Announcing a game is over early is a very British thing to do for announcers. 

That is funny, because with all of Spain's bombast, the announcers here are very cautious. 

Interestingly, many Spain soccer fans feel that English football typically does not know how to manage final or critical minutes, and often can be trumped near the end. That basically, they don't know how to alter their play to close out a result. This is odd, because on the other hand English teams do have the penchant for dramatic comebacks, it could go either way.

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That is funny, because with all of Spain's bombast, the announcers here are very cautious. 

Interestingly, many Spain soccer fans feel that English football typically does not know how to manage final or critical minutes, and often can be trumped near the end. That basically, they don't know how to alter their play to close out a result. This is odd, because on the other hand English teams do have the penchant for dramatic comebacks, it could go either way.

The back story is that in the old days the TV high-lights on the news shows would just be straight clips from the matches.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Do you only cheer because they help you? And when say it's not a penalty you immediately calm down? When the other team attacks and you bite your nails, do you stop if they tell you not to worry? 

Fans with no mind of their own, and no emotions either.

Seems the whole point for you is to be the programmed bot your parents always wanted you to be. 

Better a robot then an incessant blowhard.  :)

Perhaps you should send a resume to One Soccer.  I envision a show called "Spanish 4th Division Soccer Tactics with Jeffrey".  You can then invite additional obscure guests that you can then name drop in your posts here.  It would be delightful.

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

What was he up to? Genuine question.

He's been involved with TFC (in one way or another) since the beginning, which is 14 years now. Before that, I'm not too sure, but I know he played university soccer and has dropped enough random Canadian soccer knowledge to show that he's been paying attention since his youth.

His style may not be for everybody, but he's not new to the scene.

11 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

Better a robot then an incessant blowhard.  :)

Perhaps you should send a resume to One Soccer.  I envision a show called "Spanish 4th Division Soccer Tactics with Jeffrey".  You can then invite additional obscure guests that you can then name drop in your posts here.  It would be delightful.

He's butt hurt again, and disgracing his user name. Nice try "Robert"

Not to hijack the Wheeler thread, but similar topic of broadcasting. The Davies goal highlight below has over 1 M + views from Lloyd Sam's call. Felt it was a great call by the neutral solo announcer (Lloyd Sam - former pro, Ghana International). Apparently, right before Canada's 1st goal he said "third corner in a row, and my dad always told me three corners equal a goal"... then we scored.  

It's worth watching the full minute to listen to the call from a neutral broadcaster. 

33 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Felt it was a great call by the neutral solo announcer (Lloyd Sam - former pro, Ghana International). Apparently, right before Canada's 1st goal he said "third corner in a row, and my dad always told me three corners equal a goal"... then we scored.

My post after the goal...

I just heard one of the great predictions.  I am watching some stream (Astro Supersport 2) with a Jamaican (sic) guy doing PBP.  He says "My dad used to tell me three corners equals a goal"  One second later...

BOOM!