Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, theaub said:

Its a shame so many Canada/US fans have this obsession with impartiality (and UK/Irish accents) when it comes to soccer.    Like how can you not like this???  Wheeler says some dumb things every now and then but the passion is fantastic.

Thanks for this, love it!!

Imagine while our boy was on the ground yelling into the mic, his colleague tapped him on his shoulder and whispered "offside". 😄

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

If we make the World Cup I would hope we have our own Canadian guys doing the play by play and colour commentating for the Canada games . It would be sad if they just took the regular English language FIFA feed they usually do. Moreover, hope these guys are calling the game there in Qatar at the stadium and not in a studio here in Toronto .

My Dream will be complete when Vic Rauter does our play by play in Qatar.

Edited by johnyb

4 hours ago, theaub said:

Its a shame so many Canada/US fans have this obsession with impartiality (and UK/Irish accents) when it comes to soccer.    Like how can you not like this???  Wheeler says some dumb things every now and then but the passion is fantastic.

That's what i'm talking about!  We need this.

4 hours ago, SoccMan said:

If we make the World Cup I would hope we have our own Canadian guys doing the play by play and colour commentating for the Canada games . It would be sad if they just took the regular English language FIFA feed they usually do. Moreover, hope these guys are calling the game there in Qatar at the stadium and not in a studio here in Toronto .

For Canada women World Cup matches, TSN put on Wileman & Moscato. But Wileman needs to put on brakes on spilling all the research he did in the first 15 minutes of the match. 

TSN also can't go with an all British studio & match day line up as they have done for every World Cup they have had rights to - ex a cameo appearance by a Eastern Europe background ESPN analyst. 

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Did @El Hombre promise some of you guys free beer or something?

Everybody eventually comes around.  

Problem is, if too many people get on the Wheeler bandwagon, I'll have to get off.  No self-respecting snob can like something so mainstream.  I'd have to start petitioning for Max Bretos to do Canada games or something like that.

15 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Everybody eventually comes around.  

Problem is, if too many people get on the Wheeler bandwagon, I'll have to get off.  No self-respecting snob can like something so mainstream.  I'd have to start petitioning for Max Bretos to do Canada games or something like that.

The hipster paradox.  

3 hours ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

I’m sorry guys but I can’t stand wheelers commentary. Much prefer Vic or even Nigel reed. Hopefully those two are saved for the actual world cup

It's going to be Luke Wileman doing the pay-by-play for Canada matches. Caldwell likely as analyst - Kilbane as backup and part of studio show. Likely world feed for the rest. Fox feed when they run into technical difficulties. 

Rauter is third in TSN's pecking order of soccer announcers. Basically only does CFM matches when there is an overlap with TFC. So, you won't see him at all. Might be busy with curling anyway.

Reed works for CBC and freelance for others like OneSoccer. So, 0% chance for TSN's World Cup. His past pronunciation of Latin names at the World Cup for CBC has been atrocious. He also relies on football announcer cliches from circa 80s England to fill in gaps rather than doing his homework.

I really like the effort that Wheeler puts into his game openings. 

You can tell that time and thought goes into his words, More than at the start of the cycle. There’s a big game familiarity about it, and there’s a calmness that we don’t always see throughout the broadcast. Feels like he’s kind of bridging the gap and evolving. 

Granted. I’m also one of those people who actually likes dry - not dull - British commentary. I watch South American soccer with the sound off. 

While Wheeler isn’t my favourite, the idea of  going back in time to the place where a British accent gave you some sort of credibility as a soccer announcer in Canada is worrisome.  It feels like one step forward two steps back.  
Back to low ratings, disinterest, alienating non-Brits or fans of different leagues/countries,  etc.  

We’re on a fantastic wave of on and off the field success.  The tinder has been lit.  I hope they don’t screw it up. 

On 2/2/2022 at 4:13 PM, johnyb said:

My Dream will be complete when Vic Rauter does our play by play in Qatar.

Us Rauter fans should lobby TSN to allow Rauter to do play by play for the 1st half of the Canada's 1st match.  That would be a classy move.