Gareth Wheeler

SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

11 hours ago, gigi riva said:

My introduction to Canadian Soccer broadcasting was  Steve Armitage  and the Late Graham Leggett on CBC  broadcasting the World Cup in 1982 .  

Ernie Afaganis mentions this in the video.  Fascinating history.

Everything you watched in the 1960s and 70s came through Mill Village, Nova Scotia

MILL VILLAGE, N.S. - If you watched the famous hockey match between Canada and Russia in 1972, you were watching it thanks to one of the world’s only earth satellite stations – located in tiny Mill Village, Queens County.
Barb McKenna saltwire.com April 25, 2017

Members of the Port Medway Area Communities Association is documenting the history of the amazing artefact through photos, videotaped interviews, and documents.

Bob Whitelaw is chairman of the communities association.

He says when he learned the importance of the site for not just Queens County, but for the entire world, he wanted to delve into the history so others could realize its importance.

He applied for, and received, a Canada 150 Forward grant to gather the research and conduct the interviews.

The satellite station was one of only five in the world at the time – and one of only two in North America. It was built in 1963, just after the Russians launched the Sputnik satellite, says Whitelaw.

“It was part of an international program to establish peaceful uses of space,” says Whitelaw.

Mill Village, Nova Scotia, was chosen because of its remote location – with very little radio interference – and was also close to railways and roads to bring the large equipment necessary to build the station.

It was dedicated to beaming telephone and television signals from a fixed satellite, and drew in other major events – like Muhammad Ali's Rumble in the Jungle.

“One of the main functions of that station was to bring in and receive important sporting events,” he says.

During its heyday, there were probably up to 60 people working there, says Whitelaw.

“We have many sources of photographs,” he says. “Ken Dagley of Liverpool, it turned out that he had photographed the opening of the earth satellite station and he took many pictures of the construction phase.”

The end result will be an exhibition of photographs and documents and video interviews. It will be featured at the Port Medway History Show – 10,000 years of connections – Ice Age to Space Age – which will take place at Port Medway Lighthouse Park in July.

There will also be an exhibit at Liverpool’s Town Hall and Cultural Centre.

Whitelaw said he decided to document the satellite station after seeing it’s present state as “an archaeological ruin, and wondering what happened there,” he says.

“Gradually, I began to figure out that something extremely important had happened there, and talking to people in the community, many of them would say ‘oh yeah, I remember that’. The deeper I got into it, the more important it became.

He says at one point, there was a conference in Washington, D.C., of engineers from over 40 countries and they flew to Mill Village to see cutting edge technology.

He says many people no longer remember the station, or realize the importance of it.

Whitelaw is now looking for former workers at the station to interview.

20 hours ago, Kent said:

This doesn't directly equate to their strengths as a commentator, but I have a question. If you can have 1 Canadian soccer commentator (past or present) over to watch a national team game with you at your house, who is it? Leggat, Rauter, Dobson, Reed, Wheeler, or someone else?

For me it would be Wheeler easily. And no cheating by saying something like "Wheeler so that he isn't doing the commentary on the broadcast!"

Wheels for sure! His “Oh Canada, oh baby!” line is legendary now and it’s hard to imagine a Canada win without it! 

11 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

All that and Stanley Matthews to boot

I grew up in the late 70s/early 80s watching Ernie Afaganis on various sports events.  Steve Armitage was the replacement when Ernie called it a day.  
You’d never see 3 mins devoted to how a broadcast signal gets to you nowadays but back then, it was quite something.

On 10/13/2021 at 10:31 PM, Kusch to the Corner said:

We can certainly be pretty good at complaining around here. His play-by-play seems to have been toned down now that games are on Sportsnet. Personally I wish there were a few less "SEE YOU LATER" comments when a Canadian player completes a dribble, but love the passion and knowledge about the program.

I believe Onesoccer finally got the audio right. It was mentioned on here a few times that the commentary audio was too loud and drowned out the stadium noises but they finally fixed it. 

On 10/14/2021 at 9:33 AM, Free kick said:

Thats kind of the problem i have with this crew.  It seems like every single game they’ re saying things like :  “ this is the biggest game in Canadian history”.  Or this is a “watershed moment”.  First it was the game versus Haiti that was the biggest game in history,  then the game after that, and so on.

Well, it's true though, we are reaching new heights (support along with performance) in Canadian soccer so every game now will be bigger than the one prior to it.

On 10/15/2021 at 8:26 AM, AvroArrow said:

Better a robot then an incessant blowhard.  :)

Perhaps you should send a resume to One Soccer.  I envision a show called "Spanish 4th Division Soccer Tactics with Jeffrey".  You can then invite additional obscure guests that you can then name drop in your posts here.  It would be delightful.

Brad Pitt Laughing GIF

On 10/15/2021 at 2:15 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Do you only cheer because they help you? And when say it's not a penalty you immediately calm down? When the other team attacks and you bite your nails, do you stop if they tell you not to worry? 

Fans with no mind of their own, and no emotions either.

Seems the whole point for you is to be the programmed bot your parents always wanted you to be. 

UT, brother, I know you're hurting on the inside. 

Let me set you free.

Edited by Macksam

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 10:22 PM, Kent said:

Thanks for the Armitage and Wileman shout outs @Joe MacCarthy, I forgot them somehow. Some googling tells me Brian Budd is probably who you are referring to by "Budgie". He's before my time, I know of him but didn't realize he was a commentator.

He covered the first couple of seasons of TFC on The Score before his untimely death.

4 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

He did it again, at 80 minutes Wheeler says if we get one more goal it's over.  And that's five minutes after telling us about Panama scoring 3 in 8 minutes.  Please, please, please stop doing shit like that.

Maybe I’m confused but I swear Dunfield suggested at around 60ish minutes if Canada scored a second it would be game over. Come on.

5 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

He did it again, at 80 minutes Wheeler says if we get one more goal it's over.  And that's five minutes after telling us about Panama scoring 3 in 8 minutes.  Please, please, please stop doing shit like that.

Yup they both did.  

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

Maybe I’m confused but I swear Dunfield suggested at around 60ish minutes if Canada scored a second it would be game over. Come on.

I think Wheeler and Dunfield are far behind Luke Wileman when it comes to making comments that invite the meddling of the soccer gods.  I don't know how many times I've wanted to throttle the latter during broadcasts, but I don't hear any complaints about him here.  Maybe if you do it with an English accent it's okay?  On the other hand, Caldwell seems to be very careful about avoiding jinxing anyone.

For what it's worth, I really miss Craig Forrest. I think him and Dick Howard would be a great pairing, even though both are former pro goalkeepers. Both have tolerable voices and make sound points. 

Obviously, that will never happen, though, so I would actually prefer Oliver Platt to Wheels for both studio and in-game commentary. KJ could be good as well. 

Feel like it is a marketing line throughout the program, getting the country Rah Rah about Canada, a bit of seige mentality and promoting patriotism for a new Canada Soccer. The Wheeler presentation sometimes comes across like they are marketing to general sports fans or non soccer fans, which is why it rubs some people the wrong way. Didn't think he was that bad last night but maybe I blocked him and Dunfield out!

5 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I would actually prefer Oliver Platt

I don't mind him so much now, I just wish someone would tell him ball isn't pronunced bowl and Canada isn't Canader.  When I was a kid in the biz, they told me to write 2 and 4 on my scripts so I would get out of the habit of saying ta and fer  (I am going ta the store fer some bread) :)

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Feel like it is a marketing line throughout the program, getting the country Rah Rah about Canada, a bit of seige mentality and promoting patriotism for a new Canada Soccer. The Wheeler presentation sometimes comes across like they are marketing to general sports fans or non soccer fans, which is why it rubs some people the wrong way. Didn't think he was that bad last night but maybe I blocked him and Dunfield out!

Maybe my last rip on Wheels because I actually like the guy.   If they want to market to Joe Sixpack I think the Spanish references are lame.  He did the Gooooooool call which to me is lame because every Spanish commentator does it and we're not Spanish.  Come up with your own thing (which he did with OCOB) so I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too.

I don't put this on Wheels but I find calling the Octagonal, Ocho is lame, again we're not Spanish.  Reminds me of that scene in Corner Gas about using foreign terms. Just my opinion.