Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

This isn't just about Lucas, as our team improves and get better results and dare I say qualifies for World Cups we will be an attractive option, there are more and more good youth programs pumping out great players here and it won't always be necessary for the players to leave at a young age to develop! It will suck for some of these players born here to not represent our country but that is their choice, hopefully some of them realize this is a great program to become part of and get on board otherwise I am with @dyslexic namI couldn't care less where their careers take them!

1 hour ago, JasonDias said:

It's funny to read all the back and forth on this forum and all the speculations that come with it. When and if he's ready to commit is up to him. 

Fyi he played at the Sporting CP Feeder Academy here in Toronto for most of his early youth. And at 11 they decided to take him into the main academy. 

FWIW, we just hope that Lucas is paying close attention to Canada at these qualifiers and that he is seeing the growth of a very good thing. I doubt that players do this, but it would very cool for Lucas, Marcelo Flores, Daniel Jebbison, Enes Sali, and Ferdi Kadioglu to have an online Zoom chat and talk about the potential merits and advantages to the five of them to declare for Canada. That group of young players possesses an extraordinary set of soccer skills and growth potential. The new Group of Five! Maybe you could suggest to him, Jason.

Just now, Floortom said:

Jebbison, Flores, Ferdi have all been quite involved with other teams’ youth setups. Has Dias? He seems pretty far off. If he starts getting Portugal u21 calls then it might be something worth worrying about.

Yes, they have. That is exactly why it would be cool to see them talk and imagine if there might some collective as well as individual advantage to play for Canada which is well positioned to become a Word Cup participant.

9 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

perhaps he should call Stephane Eustaquio?

I'm sure he is quite mindful that Eustáquio and Vitória did develop in the Portuguese youth system before switching to Canada.

Unfortunately he doesn't have that option unless he thinks he will make the Portugal senior team because he would have to file a one-time-switch to play youth games for them.

And let's face it, if he gets onto the Portugal U-21 team's radar, it means that he will likely be on our senior team's radar. 

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm sure he is quite mindful that Eustáquio and Vitória did develop in the Portuguese youth system before switching to Canada.

Unfortunately he doesn't have that option unless he thinks he will make the Portugal senior team because he would have to file a one-time-switch to play youth games for them.

And let's face it, if he gets onto the Portugal U-21 team's radar, it means that he will likely be on our senior team's radar. 

Why would he have to file a one time switch to play for Portugal's youth teams? It was my understanding that the OQ games would not count as a cap for purposes of filing a switch down the road?

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Why would he have to file a one time switch to play for Portugal's youth teams? It was my understanding that the OQ games would not count as a cap for purposes of filing a switch down the road?

It's an offical CONCACAF competition and sanctioned by FIFA, right? 

I think it counts like U17 & U20 matches do, but I will admit I don't actually know for sure.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

10 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It's an offical CONCACAF competition and sanctioned by FIFA, right? 

I think it counts like U17 & U20 matches do, but I will admit I don't actually know for sure.

OQ aren't a FIFA event so they don't count towards caps. 

Also a player under 21 is only cap tied if they've had 4 non-official AND official appearances with the senior team, given that one match is official.

Examples:

4 friendlies - not cap tied

3 world cup qualifiers - not cap tied

2 friendlies and 1 WCQ - not cap tied

3 friendlies and 1 WCQ - cap tied

1 Nations League, Gold Cup or World Cup - cap tied 

Additionally, there are different levels to cap ties and switching. 

1 competitive match + 4 matches overall = Permanent Cap Tie 

3 or less matches = Can Switch after 2 years of not playing 

Only Friendlies = Can switch anytime

One Time Switch = Permanent Cap Tie to the other nation and only available after 2 years of not playing. 

4 hours ago, JasonDias said:

OQ aren't a FIFA event so they don't count towards caps.

Not FIFA "caps" in the senior match sense but in the "Official Youth matches" sense, like U17 and U20 CONCACAF WCQs.

4 hours ago, JasonDias said:

Also a player under 21 is only cap tied if they've had 4 non-official AND official appearances with the senior team, given that one match is official....

....4 friendlies - not cap tied

That's not exclusively how it works because Teal Bunbury and Caolan Lavery are ineligible to play for Canada.

Once you play an official youth match, then switch AWAY from Canada, you can't switch back. The only question is "Are OQ Official Youth matches?".

I believe they are, just like I believe UEFA U21 are official youth matches.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That's not exclusively how it works because Teal Bunbury and Caolan Lavery are ineligible to play for Canada.

Once you play an official youth match, then switch AWAY from Canada, you can't switch back. The only question is "Are OQ Official Youth matches?".

I believe they are, just like I believe UEFA U21 are official youth matches.

Those two players made the switch. The one time switch trumps all the other rules (and the one time switch applies to youth switches too) - Jason mentioned that at the end. In regards to Lucas, basically if he ever represents Portugal in any match he's lost to us (because it will require the one time switch), but he can represent Canada in unlimited youth matches plus up to 3 competitive (non actual World Cup or Gold Cup matches - qualifying is okay) in the next 3 years and still play for Portugal. If he wants to play for Portugal long term, that would actually be a great plan to maximize his caps, since it's no secret Canadian caps youth/senior are easier to come by than with Portugal at his current age. Play for Canada now in multiple competitions then switch when he's older and ready for the Portuguese team. Great way to represent both countries he's connected to and maximize his international opportunities. Not saying that's what Lucas is doing, but it's definitely a smart way and I can forsee other dual-Nationals (particularly with the new 3 senior cap rule) doing this in future. Either way, as a Portuguese-Canadian I'm looking forward to seeing him in red for the next 15ish years (whether that's rouge or vermelho is to be determined). 

Edited by rydermike

6 hours ago, JasonDias said:

1 Nations League, Gold Cup or World Cup - cap tied 

I don't think nations league cap ties. Only world cup or gold cup.  Part of the reason fifa made the new U21 appearance rule was due to the decrease in friendlies caused by the nations league. The nations league is basically a competitive friendly since it now fills up most of the non qualifying international Windows. The rule says tournament phases of continental competitions, but there's no non-tournament phase qualifying for nations league (unless maybe the nations league finals series would cap tie with the group winners (SF and F), but not the group stage) 

Edited by rydermike

20 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Steven Vittoria played all his youth soccer here in Canada , he left Canada when he was 18 , so I think we can safely say he was developed in Canada soccer wise , Portugal gave him an avenue to become a professional but Canada is where he was developed.

1 minute ago, SoccMan said:

Steven Vittoria played all his youth soccer here in Canada , he left Canada when he was 18 , so I think we can safely say he was developed in Canada soccer wise , Portugal gave him an avenue to become a professional but Canada is where he was developed.

Where a player developed is irrelevant to the point I was making.

"Youth system" ≠ "youth soccer"

1 hour ago, bwilly11 said:

His Instagram story has him in Istanbul today. Sporting CP play Beşiktaş tomorrow in Champions League. Happy to see him progressing along! 

He's likely there with the youth team as he's been featuring regularly in the UEFA youth league, which plays matches at the same time as the respective first teams. 

15 hours ago, bwilly11 said:

His Instagram story has him in Istanbul today. Sporting CP play Beşiktaş tomorrow in Champions League. Happy to see him progressing along! 

We'd have to look at rosters, for CL a team can send in a roster and then add academy players to it as fill. Then you can update that again in the winter break. So will have to check out their roster on the UEFA site...

Edit, so there he is, on the B team roster, which is 25 players from their youth squads. 

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/50149--sporting-cp/squad/

Now, for them to take him, when they are probably not travelling with more than 25 players, that is pretty good.

So here it is the call-up was only 21 players, so he must have been asked to go to help the team train or get European travel experience

https://www.noticiasaominuto.com/desporto/1853573/os-convocados-do-sporting-para-o-duelo-com-o-besiktas

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Oh I was wrong and no one was bored enough call BS. And I work harder than 95% of you...

He's in Istanbul to play Youth League with Sporting vs. Besiktas, the match goes midday in Istanbul tomorrow. They are in the group stage with Ajax and Dortmund.

Here's their YL roster

https://es.uefa.com/uefayouthleague/clubs/2606420--sporting-cp/

He played away to Dortmund on Sept 28 in a scoreless draw. Subbed out m. 81, was on the left wing in a 4-3-3.

And he played 15 September in a 1-1 draw with Ajax, subbed out m. 78, on the right side of the attack in a 4-4-2. 

Joins Liam Millar, and perhaps Ballou, amongst Canadians with Youth League minutes, good for him, still 18 years old.