Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

Not negative at all.  Unlike a dual national in Yankov for Bulgaria, we are years away before Dias plays for Portugal senior squad and that is still a massive IF.  Portugal may not be at the next World Cup, but their player pool is one of the deepest and best right now.  There are usually a couple players from the big 3/4 teams that are in Portugal player pool.  Once/If he starts playing for the Sporting senior squad, then I'd really be stepping up the recruitment.  No harm letting him focus on his career at the moment.

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

It was back in june.

This makes sense, these were do or die wc qualifiers, Dias probably didn't just want to come sit on the bench and play 5 minutes vs Haiti. This was the most obvious cap tie ever, if he wants to commit his future at 17-18 then great but we shouldn't be mad that he rejected it. The boat hasn't sailed we don't need to wait until he is 28 for him to make a decision like the past, just give it a bit of time. 

42 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

It's obvious we're his second choice. He'll make his choice by 2026 if he's already on Portugal's radar or on the cusp he's theirs but if not I think he'll commit. That's the vibe I got from the family member on the forum.

Am I missing how this is so obvious? 

1 hour ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Am I missing how this is so obvious? 

Pretty sure during the olympic qualifiers his dad's cousin (the family member) said something along the lines of his priority/first choice is Portugal but he'd be happy to play for the mens team.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JasonDias said:

He had a minor injury for most of December that kept him out of action. He's back on track and will feature (sub or start) for the B team pretty much the rest of the season. He will be with the Sporting youth champions league team as well. 

It's also his birthday today the big ole 1 9. 

Happy Birthday Lucas! A grand age for capping 😛 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 12:09 PM, JasonDias said:

He had a minor injury for most of December that kept him out of action. He's back on track...

Is he injured again?

In the last 3 matches he has only been in the squad once and played about 10 minutes.

https://ca.soccerway.com/national/portugal/liga-3/20212022/regular-season/r65141/

Saw that Youth League has started up again, single-match knockouts in the round of 16, and Sporting drew Dynamo Kiev away. Match scheduled for Kiev next Wednesday. I imagine UEFA will do whatever Dynamo wants or is able to do in these circumstances.

Very often for the knock-out round of Youth League, players who played earlier in group stage are dropped and younger guys are brought in. I've seen this a bit for various clubs, just mentioning it as it is not absolutely sure he'd be part of the squad still. 

• 4 weeks later...