Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

Back to the post about him travelling with the u-19s for Youth League: they play a single match away to Dynamo Kiev, postponed and now rescheduled for this Thursday. In Bucharest. Very tough for the Dynamo kids to be playing these matches, all power to them.

Winner plays quarter final match home to Benfica. Likely would be next week.

The other quarter finals were already played. If Sporting win this week then vs. Benfica, they play Juventus in semis in 2 weeks.

Not mentioned in the note of players who are missing through injury or club reasons for the U-20 friendlies. Might not mean anything but is something to note. 

One theory is that Biello is coaching the U-20. Maybe because of the U-23s, when he heard Biello would be at the helm, he said nope? 

Edited by canuckgbp

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Días on the bench for their Youth League match vs Dynamo Kiev, they're up 2-0 at the half. 

He played the last 30 and was quite discreet, supporting other attackers. Sporting attacked up 2-1, most of the boys from Dynamo were tired and they couldn't get much going. They've only played 1 match in last 2 months. Ukraine fans in the stands. 

He was an attacking mid up the left middle. Sporting play Benfica next week in quarter finals. 

Brand new stadium for Dynamo Bucharest for 20,000, opened last week. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Are you watching @Acid-Tone?

I have it here on our Champions League channels.

Benfica hit two quick goals around m. 55 and then the changes came. Shortly after, a dumb red to stop a counter and Sporting with 10.

Must say, the players are quite noble and respecting each other, nice to see.

Benfica has been better all match, more pace and relying more on ball talent. Sporting has big, slow-footed CBs who can't move the ball. Best player IMO on the team is Gonzalo Estevez, who could play mid, attack, wing, outside back, nice player. Just had a run from his own box through 3 players straight down the middle of the field, hacked down 35 m from opposing goal drawing a card: gutsy kid.

Lucas plays as an attacking left mid. He hardly touched the ball for 15 minutes, then just had a free kick with his right, a shot on goal with his left. A few plays down the left, where he seems to use both feet, has good skills, but I don't see anything to blow my socks off. He's solid and still on his path (I also saw him vs. Kiev last week, no different then). Would prefer to see a bit of intensity and even rage.

What especially gets me is the development model. At this age its shows if you signed for size, bulk, speed, or ball skills. Benfica has a superior developmental model.

In the 77th Lucas showed some decent footwork at the top of the 18 to get himself a good shot.  Which was well saved. 
That was the closest to a goal that I seen SCP have in this game. (I did miss the first 30 min or so) 

And now he won a FK with a nice dribbling run in midfield.  
The announcer just questioned why Lucas didn’t start.  He’s probably been Sportings best player since he came on.   But they are down 3-0 and playing down a man. 

2 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

In the 77th Lucas showed some decent footwork at the top of the 18 to get himself a good shot.  Which was well saved. 
That was the closest to a goal that I seen SCP have in this game. (I did miss the first 30 min or so) 

And now he won a FK with a nice dribbling run in midfield.  
The announcer just questioned why Lucas didn’t start.  He’s probably been Sportings best player since he came on.   But they are down 3-0 and playing down a man. 

I missed the first 10 min of each half. Now it's 0-4.

That looks like a nice academy facility they have, in some sort of forested area think it is, inland and cross the river from Lisbon.

Yeah, I actually tried to visit that Alcochete facility one time when I was in the Lisbon area on vacation.
The closest you can get is up to gated road in a heavily wooded area where you couldn’t even tell there was anything nearby that had something to do with football. 

That was a really impressive Benfica squad today! Their youth talent pipeline continues to impress.

Edited by Acid-Tone

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sporting CP's pre-season began on June 27th.

According to the tabloids, he was one of 6 young players listed as possible candidates to join the senior team for pre-season:

"Para lá dos nomes anteriormente mencionados, o jornal A Bola escreve que Mateus Fernandes, Diogo Abreu, Youssef Chermiti, Renato Veiga, Vando Félix e Lucas Dias são também candidatos à pré-época leonina." https://leonino.pt/festival-formacao-na-pre-epoca-do-sporting/

@JasonDias , did he join the senior team for pre-season? Do you know what is going on with him for 2022-23?

The senior team has some pre-season matches listed here:

https://www.sporting.pt/pt/noticias/futebol/equipa-principal/2022-06-26/plano-de-pre-epoca-da-equipa-principal-de-futebol

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Sporting CP's pre-season began on June 27th.

According to the tabloids, he was one of 6 young players listed as possible candidates to join the senior team for pre-season:

"Para lá dos nomes anteriormente mencionados, o jornal A Bola escreve que Mateus Fernandes, Diogo Abreu, Youssef Chermiti, Renato Veiga, Vando Félix e Lucas Dias são também candidatos à pré-época leonina." https://leonino.pt/festival-formacao-na-pre-epoca-do-sporting/

@JasonDias , did he join the senior team for pre-season? Do you know what is going on with him for 2022-23?

The senior team has some pre-season matches listed here:

https://www.sporting.pt/pt/noticias/futebol/equipa-principal/2022-06-26/plano-de-pre-epoca-da-equipa-principal-de-futebol

If this is true lets wish him the best of luck and see what happens

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Stoppage Time said:

Bring him in for Nations League and take a look, or for the next friendly. Keep him in the group..

I would agree if he did more with Sporting B....but it looks like he hasn't even played much for the U23s, let alone the B team. From what I saw of him with the U23 Canadian team, he's a player we want in our system, but the lack of minutes this year is concerning.