Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

53 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

A big factor for a player like Dias will likely be if we can be like the USA and offer friendlies in Europe against high profile competition. We should be doing that moving forward. Along with being in the Octagon of course. 

It’s going to take a few years before we can do that, but I’d imagine mid euro teams is in the near future.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

A big factor for a player like Dias will likely be if we can be like the USA and offer friendlies in Europe against high profile competition. We should be doing that moving forward. Along with being in the Octagon of course. 

It may be naive but I am really hoping that part of the CSA’s plan in the years leading to 2026 would be to arrange a lot of friendlies to get his really tuned up as co-hosts.  

The same would theoretically apply to 2022 but if we get there the qualification process itself will ensure that we play a fairly substantial number of games.  

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

It’s going to take a few years before we can do that, but I’d imagine mid euro teams is in the near future.

In the 2000s we played Germany, Portugal, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Peru, Greece, Ecuador etc. There’s no reason we can’t be doing that again especially as we are a much more attractive opponent. I’d be even happy with Northern Ireland, Finland, Wales etc. 

It’s just odd that sort of came to a halt about 10 years ago. While friendlies in general stopped around 3 years ago.. 

57 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It may be naive but I am really hoping that part of the CSA’s plan in the years leading to 2026 would be to arrange a lot of friendlies to get his really tuned up as co-hosts.  

The same would theoretically apply to 2022 but if we get there the qualification process itself will ensure that we play a fairly substantial number of games.  

2026 that’s if we still end up cohosting, wasn’t there a big discussion on these boards about rumours Canada not cohosting anymore? Moreover, stories about the Olympic Stadium renovation project canceled? Also something about Edmonton’s funding of their stadium renovation in jeopardy? If this is all true can’t see FIFA just giving all the Canadian games to Toronto and thus pulling out. Hopefully we are able to cohost because I think that is a great selling point to any of these players like Dias and any other ones that we are trying to get to commit to Canada . The chance for players like a Dias or any other ones to play in a Wold Cup at home might be the greatest selling point of them all for these young players .

1 minute ago, SoccMan said:

2026 that’s if we still end up cohosting, wasn’t there a big discussion on these boards about rumours Canada not cohosting anymore? Moreover, stories about the Olympic Stadium renovation project canceled? Also something about Edmonton’s funding of their stadium renovation in jeopardy? If this is all true can’t see FIFA just giving all the Canadian games to Toronto and thus pulling out. Hopefully we are able to cohost because I think that is a great selling point to any of these players like Dias and any other ones that we are trying to get to commit to Canada . The chance for players like a Dias or any other ones to play in a Wold Cup at home might be the greatest selling point of them all for these young players .

There is speculation - and lots of questions about funding - but I still think we will end up participating.  Hell, even if we don’t co-host, I think we will have the squad to make it there just through the qualification process.  

27 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

There is speculation - and lots of questions about funding - but I still think we will end up participating.  Hell, even if we don’t co-host, I think we will have the squad to make it there just through the qualification process.  

Sure we should have a pretty good squad  if things work out with all of our young players coming through . Hopefully things work out and we cohost but if a kid like Dias and others like him know that we have a guaranteed spot and that they can play in a World Cup at home in Canada   ? That has to be a great selling point I think , playing in a World Cup in your country and also knowing that in 2026 Canada is in the World Cup . We all know CONCACAF and World Cup qualifying anything can happen no matter how talented Canada might be .

5 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s just odd that sort of came to a halt about 10 years ago. While friendlies in general stopped around 3 years ago.. 

Two things were created in the past 3 years: Nations League & covid 19. Post 2000, either Canada was living off winning the Gold Cup or we were more interested in glory hunting vs having camps.

Post 2022, Nations League will again take up some of the windows. But not having to qualify for 2026 will mean friendlies will make a comeback.

10 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

In the 2000s we played Germany, Portugal, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Peru, Greece, Ecuador etc. There’s no reason we can’t be doing that again especially as we are a much more attractive opponent. I’d be even happy with Northern Ireland, Finland, Wales etc. 

that would a waste for the above countries.  NI and Finland ok I think that’s an acceptable level of opponent, maybe Peru and Venezuela.

On 4/10/2021 at 3:29 PM, MtlMario said:

With 6.5 spots available starting in 2026, we should never (or almost never) miss a World Cup again. And we have a pretty good shot at 2022.

Is that going to be the case? If so, I agree.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 3:24 AM, JasonDias said:

Lucas made the shortlist for best player in the U-23 Liga Revelacao. They are having a public vote now. 

https://sjogadores.pt/?pt=revelacao

I voted for him. But you had to vote for the top three, so I just picked two random guys I have no idea about from Braga or something and put them in. They'll be thrilled. Do the same, vote for the guy at Braga, he'll be thinking he has cousins he's never met.

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I voted for him. But you had to vote for the top three, so I just picked two random guys I have no idea about from Braga or something and put them in. They'll be thrilled. Do the same, vote for the guy at Braga, he'll be thinking he has cousins he's never met.

Did the same. Hopefully it's the most points not the least that counts..

🤔😬😃

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Did the same. Hopefully it's the most points not the least that counts..

🤔😬😃

I like the idea that the kid at Braga gets all these unexpected votes, then scouts start paying attention. But it's end of season so they can't check watching him. And just assume he must have been good. So all these offers flow in, he signs for Porto. And his career just booms, he rises to the ocasion and plays way over his head, all because of these residual dumbass Canadian votes he received for no reason at all.