Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

U know with the Gold Cup coming Why Not call him up to the senior side along with Floro , Mitrovic, and Theo  would not hurt to give him some play vs adults. Plus I think Canada will send a B team anyway. The Gold Cup unfortuntaly is a bit of a farce to be honest, But that is another topic for another day.

Gold Cup is ideal next step. All the top 10 nations will be bringing B+ or lower teams with WCQ in June & September and Nations League in June. 

But he will need to decide as he can easily get 3 caps in the Gold Cup. 

1 hour ago, red card said:

Gold Cup is ideal next step. All the top 10 nations will be bringing B+ or lower teams with WCQ in June & September and Nations League in June. 

It will be interesting to think about the team we field at the GC and what kind of room there will be for young prospects vs senior journeymen that just didn’t make the cut for the big show.  We aren’t so deep in quality players that we can field multiple strong senior teams, but which direction do you go in if you are looking at Tajon vs Tesho (just a random example).  Do you go young and take guys like Dias, Nelson and Okello to the GC or do you rely on veterans who may not be in the picture for the senior team but who may (and that is an unsettled issue) have a better showing.  

I am always a fan of our potential and going with a young team to integrate guys into the senior set up and identify those who will be impact players at that level.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 hours ago, red card said:

Not Jamaica. Which is why I have them as legit contenders.

They are the only top team not involved in anything...no nations league (USA,MEX,CRC,HON) and no WC qualifiers (CAN,CUR, HAI,ELS,SUR,PAN).
And this will likely serve as their preparation for WCQ in September.

13 hours ago, costarg said:

Ahh ok, so you mean just like England did with Tomori right?  Perfect.

I literally mean do not give him an official call up. Just pay for his flight and have him in the camp, don't even need to announce he's there, just let us find out watching training videos. Literally give him no chance to cap tie because he's not an official call up. Just let him make his choice, but give him the full idea of what he could be a part of. 

“According to the information collected exclusively by Calciomercato.it, Lucas Dias, a Canadian midfielder born in 2003 who in recent days has been busy with Canada under 23 in qualifying for the Olympics.

Dias has a 30 million euro clause, but also a single year contract with Sporting, which is why it is in effect a great market opportunity that Juve could really try to seize. On the boy, however, there are many other clubs of international standing, see Ajax, in short, a competition that is not easy to beat.”

9 hours ago, DigzTFC said:

I googled Lucas Dias and found he was an alumni of Sporting FC Toronto.

I clicked on Alumni:

https://sportingfctoronto.com/alumni/daniel-costa/

Does anyone know who Daniel Costa or have context to the academy he is part of? Is he Canadian?

https://www.transfermarkt.com/dany/profil/spieler/689116

this might be him ? 

46 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

At 42:10 I think Peter said “he’s willing to go”, but might be if he’s willing to go.  Haha

Peter says he’s willing. But also If he’s willing to go for the Aruba game.

also says Dias isn’t in a rush, but had good things to say.

@JasonDias can maybe chime in

@JamboAl from another thread.

[No doubt that Arfield and others tapped up Spoony to play for us.  And maybe JH was working the phones even before he became the CNMT manager.  Does it matter? 

I wonder if sometimes we read too much into these things.]  

I think being recruited by other players may be a deciding factor in Dias choosing Canada, look at the Portuguese influence on the recent Canada teams, Raposo, Nogueira, Godhino, Vitoria, Eustaquio and Ferreira.  Dias also seems to be friends with Corbeanu.

In the announcement that Ferreira had committed to Canada wasn't it mentioned that one of Ferreira's roles would be to recruit duals from Portugal.   Maybe it wasn't duals but just one dual.

And at 18 Dias showed up to play, that has rarely happened in the past with high profile duals, I feel positive about our chances with Dias, there is also the Davies factor.

36 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

@JamboAl from another thread.

[No doubt that Arfield and others tapped up Spoony to play for us.  And maybe JH was working the phones even before he became the CNMT manager.  Does it matter? 

I wonder if sometimes we read too much into these things.]  

I think being recruited by other players may be a deciding factor in Dias choosing Canada, look at the Portuguese influence on the recent Canada teams, Raposo, Nogueira, Godhino, Vitoria, Eustaquio and Ferreira.  Dias also seems to be friends with Corbeanu.

In the announcement that Ferreira had committed to Canada wasn't it mentioned that one of Ferreira's roles would be to recruit duals from Portugal.   Maybe it wasn't duals but just one dual.

And at 18 Dias showed up to play, that has rarely happened in the past with high profile duals, I feel positive about our chances with Dias, there is also the Davies factor.

The reality is that the Canada of the next 10 years is unlike any other team we have had.  A smart player with good advisors would recognize that.  David and Davies alone represent a quantum leap in quality.  Throw in the other young talents like Corbeanu, Buchanan, possibly Akinola, etc., and we could be a contender for years to come.  

Not saying we are going to outshine Portugal or anything but we should be seen as a viable option for aspiring players. 

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The reality is that the Canada of the next 10 years is unlike any other team we have had.  A smart player with good advisors would recognize that.  David and Davies alone represent a quantum leap in quality.  Throw in the other young talents like Corbeanu, Buchanan, possibly Akinola, etc., and we could be a contender for years to come.  

Not saying we are going to outshine Portugal or anything but we should be seen as a viable option for aspiring players. 

A big factor for a player like Dias will likely be if we can be like the USA and offer friendlies in Europe against high profile competition. We should be doing that moving forward. Along with being in the Octagon of course.