Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry, should have picked up on this. I think years ago someone figured out Jackson had played in all of the top 5 or 6 tiers of English football. Or perhaps more?

Based on wiki, it is six -

EPL (Norwich), Championship (Norwich, Blackburn, Millwall), League 1 (Gillingham, Coventry, Barnsley, Walsall), League 2 (Rushden and Diamonds, Gillingham, Grimsby Town, Stevenage), Conference League/National League (R&D, King's Lynn Town), National League South (Chelmsford City).

Lots of experience in terms of pro/rel too.

Relegated 3

Promoted 2 (+1 Barnsley promoted, but he left before the end of season)

Edited by kacbru
Corrected thanks to Norrin Radd

3 hours ago, kacbru said:

Based on wiki, it is six -

EPL (Norwich), Championship (Norwich, Blackburn, Millwall), League 1 (Gillingham, Coventry, Barnsley, Walsall), League 2 (Rushden and Diamonds, Gillingham, Grimsby Town, Stevenage), Conference League/National League (R&D, King's Lynn Town), National League South (Chelmsford City).

Lots of experience in terms of pro/rel too.

Relegated 3

Promoted 1 (+1 Barnsley promoted, but he left before the end of season)

He was on two promotion sides. The most significant was when Norwich were promoted to the EPL in 2011, but two years earlier Gillingham won the League 2 promotion playoffs when they defeated Shrewsbury Town 1-0 at Wembley courtesy of a 90th-minute strike by Simeon.

The two promotions, two years apart, were what allowed him to progress across the top four levels of English football in four consecutive seasons with only two teams.

I still haven't heard of anyone other than Simeon Jackson who has scored in the 4th tier, then the following year scored in the 3rd tier, then in the following year scored in the 2nd tier, and the following year scored in the first tier. It was such a constant march up the pyramid, I do wonder if it's a unique accomplishment, but maybe others have done it. I have no way to verify.

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

He was on two promotion sides. The most significant was when Norwich were promoted to the EPL in 2011, but two years earlier Gillingham won the League 2 promotion playoffs when they defeated Shrewsbury Town 1-0 at Wembley courtesy of a 90th-minute strike by Simeon.

The two promotions, two years apart, were what allowed him to progress across the top four levels of English football in four consecutive seasons with only two teams.

Yes - good catch. He also scored both goals in the promotion semi-final that year vs Rochdale.

11 hours ago, Kent said:

I still haven't heard of anyone other than Simeon Jackson who has scored in the 4th tier, then the following year scored in the 3rd tier, then in the following year scored in the 2nd tier, and the following year scored in the first tier. It was such a constant march up the pyramid, I do wonder if it's a unique accomplishment, but maybe others have done it. I have no way to verify.

Luton Town’s Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu has been with the club since 2013, and has played for them in every tier between the national league and the premier league. He’s yet to score in the premier league, and looking at his numbers over the years, I think he may be way above his level, so not sure if that first prem goal will ever come, but very cool story. 

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Luton Town’s Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu has been with the club since 2013, and has played for them in every tier between the national league and the premier league. He’s yet to score in the premier league, and looking at his numbers over the years, I think he may be way above his level, so not sure if that first prem goal will ever come, but very cool story. 

Thanks. Looks like he went, League Two, League One, Championship, Championship, Championship, Championship, Premier League. If he does score in the Premier League that might be the most similar case to Jackson that I have come across. Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Kent said:

Thanks. Looks like he went, League Two, League One, Championship, Championship, Championship, Championship, Premier League. If he does score in the Premier League that might be the most similar case to Jackson that I have come across. Thanks!

He spent 13/14 with Luton in the National League, and in fact, it looks like he spent 11/12 with Boreham Wood in the 6th division, so he's actually played in 6 distinct divisions. Save for a single game he played for Westham in 2013, it also looks like Mpanzu has actually never gotten relegated or moved to a lower tiered team ever in his career which is cool- hope he comes to MLS next season to guarantee he'll never play in a second or lower tier ever again.

That said, I think Simeon Jackson was able to move up based on his contributions whereas I think with Mpanzu there's an aspect to it where Luton Town just wants to keep a club lifer around- doesn't look like he was much of a force in the Championship, and isn't really playing big minutes in the premier league at all.

In any case, this is the stuff that's cool about the sport, especially in England with so many tiers. Guys going from scoring in barely professional leagues to playing in the world's best league in a matter of years. I'm sure there are others too, cool to check out some of these names who have been everywhere.

I know we are way off topic, a well-known player in Spain to go from 3rd to 2B to 2A to first division was Rodolfo Bodipo, a striker who promoted twice along the way. He is the current coach of Equatorial Guinea who surprised by making it out of their group in the AFCON. Equatorial Guinea was a Spanish colony, many people from that heritage also have Spanish nationality.

But the best case is Carolo, the playing name of Jesús Rodríguez Muiños, who rose quickly from u-19 to play for Celta Vigo in top flight, already in 1983, and then worked his way down, all pro divisions, 1, 2, 2b, 3, then down through four regional divisions in Galicia, and stopped playing in regional fourth tier in 2018. His career lasted 35 years, he stopped playing at the age of 52. From what I can gather, he was a semi-pro to amateur from 2001 to 2018.

I had to look this up, the last case is cool; I remember when Bodipo played, because he was a teammate of Julian de Guzman at Depor, here they are at either end of the bottom row.

Plantillas históricas | RCDeportivo | Página Oficial del RC Deportivo de La  Coruña

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know we are way off topic, a well-known player in Spain to go from 3rd to 2B to 2A to first division was Rodolfo Bodipo, a striker who promoted twice along the way. He is the current coach of Equatorial Guinea who surprised by making it out of their group in the AFCON. Equatorial Guinea was a Spanish colony, many people from that heritage also have Spanish nationality.

But the best case is Carolo, the playing name of Jesús Rodríguez Muiños, who rose quickly from u-19 to play for Celta Vigo in top flight, already in 1983, and then worked his way down, all pro divisions, 1, 2, 2b, 3, then down through four regional divisions in Galicia, and stopped playing in regional fourth tier in 2018. His career lasted 35 years, he stopped playing at the age of 52. From what I can gather, he was a semi-pro to amateur from 2001 to 2018.

I had to look this up, the last case is cool; I remember when Bodipo played, because he was a teammate of Julian de Guzman at Depor, here they are at either end of the bottom row.

Plantillas históricas | RCDeportivo | Página Oficial del RC Deportivo de La  Coruña

In the same vein, Oliveirense of Portugal’s second div has Kazuyoshi Miura who is celebrating his 57th birthday on Monday. From what I can tell, it’s his first stint in Europe in 25 years, since 1999, with Zagreb (he has been a professional a full 7 years longer than the state of Croatia has existed). His stint in Croatia came a full 5 years after he had last been in Europe, with Genoa in 1994-1995, and that stint came a whole 8 years after his professional start which was with Santos back in 1986. From what I can tell, his last match came in May of ‘23. He was on the bench for Oliveirense’s game this past Sunday too. 

So the legend goes, he left high school and moved to Brazil in the 80s with nothing but a knapsack and ended up playing for Santos. He was a national star before he played his first match in J.1, a league that was founded 7 years after his pro debut (the same year as the premier league!). First East Asian player in série A. #2 all time on japan’s top national team goal scorers and hasn’t been called to the national squad since February 2000. Now that’s a career.

Everytime I hear our guys interviewed, or almost always, I am impressed what great kids they are. We have excellent human material in our ranks, guys who can speak, are sincere, have great values. Also know how to be discreet when called for. 

I watched Lucas in Youth League a few years ago, and what I see in these recent still photos is that his muscle structure has improved immensely, he looks slight and has a young face, but his leg structure is much stronger. I say this as I had doubts about his physical development being on the level of his pure football skills. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having watched him live twice this week in person, I have to say I am not impressed so far. Today he spent his time either standing still in attack or asking for the ball only to run into multiple defenders and turned the ball over. By the end of his 20 minute cameo most of the supporters section had turned on him, and that's despite scoring a goal that was correctly ruled offside.

Even on the disallowed goal. Shaw strikes the ball and it hits Meilleur-Gigeure. During the play Dias strays yards offside and just....stands there waiting when any attempt at affecting the play puts his offside. Musse puts a shot on goal and Dias hasn't moved. Frustrating mistake from someone who should have a better pedigree.

Small sample size of course, and these are his first real pro minutes, but so far he is struggling at the CPL level. Reminded me a lot of Jose Hernandez during his time here a few years ago. Hope he can adjust to the pro level and figure things out. 

Edited by shermanator