Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

6 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

He hasn't played with 1st or B but he has trained with both, it is very common for u23 up to 1st team to train together at Sporting. 

Could I just make a comment, apart from being so grateful that you can give us some inside information? 

I don't think it benefits the player at all for you to be passing on any frustrations he may have, such as with not starting. 

This is a basic tenet of the game, and you could end up hurting him more than helping. Any coach that catches wind of this is in his right to bench someone for not being a team player, speaking behind the coach's back, not staying true to how a team has to be run.

In a footballer's career you are going to see bench, be played in odd places, not be happy with a club set-up. And you have to weather through it and, above all, not leak locker room inside information to the outside. Ever. Discretion is fundamental. This board is not official, but we are looked at by people at clubs, more than you may think. Even an agent second guessing a coach, or the coach of his club team yapping about what he does on the national team, never mind a relative or someone further away, can be lethal. 

I admit this is very hard to do. I have had personal contact with a few players over the years, and notably Portuguese-Canadians (Aguiar, Fernandes), plus others, and I probably said too much here at certain moments. Because I am no one, but still. 

You can take this however you want, I'm sorry if I am being over the top. But I think over his career that it will benefit him more if you don't leak inside info or give scoops through this board, however much we'd like to hear them.

I appreciate the concern, I feel like I've been pretty tame with what I share. I haven't shared any details on this thread aside from clearing up some background information and saying that he has trained at various levels at Sporting, which is common Sporting knowledge. 

I sense that the forum is upset with him not starting, but I haven't made a comment if Lucas has been frustrated or not by that decision or whether or not he's liked the squad or not. Those aren't mine to share. I mean sure he's pretty expressive on the field which probably makes the comments feel validated but again not me saying/confirming any of these things.

The most information I shared on this forum was that he had an extended quarantine with some people he flew over with and some of his day 1 training perceptions. 

I admit this is very hard, as it is with knowing anyone becoming a public figure. 

Maybe I was thinking of one insinuation you made about the starting 11 having been decided a day before. 

Liam Millar's father, on this board, is exemplary, in fact his objectivity and discretion while still giving the odd tidbit--but never anything that could compromise the coach or club--is highly unusual. 

Thanks UT for bringing this up in a really diplomatic way, and thanks JasonD for your replies. I was worried too when I saw the barfing emoji related to the starting 11 and worried that it either a) might reflect Lucas’ sentiments and/or b) come back to bite Lucas regardless, as UT mentioned. I also thought of Spitfire and the delicate dance that someone has to play when they have inside info. But I didn’t have the right words or the reputation on the forum to pull this off as nicely as you have done UT so kudos. Really appreciate the inside intel, Jason and good luck with the “dance” of sharing and not sharing. Most of all best of luck to Lucas and here’s hoping for a lot of future success that includes the Canmnt. 🥳

Edited by shorty

12 minutes ago, shorty said:

Thanks UT for bringing this up in a really diplomatic way, and thanks JasonD for your replies. I was worried too when I saw the barfing emoji related to the starting 11 and worried that it either a) might reflect Lucas’ sentiments and/or b) come back to bite Lucas regardless, as UT mentioned. I also thought of Spitfire and the delicate dance that someone has to play when they have inside info. But I didn’t have the right words or the reputation on the forum to pull this off as nicely as you have done UT so kudos. Really appreciate the inside intel, Jason and good luck with the “dance” of sharing and not sharing. Most of all best of luck to Lucas and here’s hoping for a lot of future success that includes the Canmnt. 🥳

No no it’s just CSA incompetence.

Theres quite a few people on Twitter calling for him to start or be subbed in earlier.

4 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Need to call him up for Aruba. 

He's not good enough for Portugal now as they are really deep at mid and forward. A couple years from now that might change.

I just realized, as an '03 he's actually eligible for qualifiers for the 2023 FIFA U-20 World Cup. Assuming a positive trajectory in his career, he can captain our next U20 side and our next U23 side.

6 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Need to call him up for Aruba. 

He's not good enough for Portugal now as they are really deep at mid and forward. A couple years from now that might change.

And who does he replace? Remember Jayden Nelson is there as a replacement for Osorio. 

1 minute ago, Hawkguy said:

Does it matter? We could replace anyone just to make sure we get him cap tied. 

It does, he's not good enough at the moment. I sincerely hopes that changes sooner than later. You cannot cynically give an 18 year old without pro experience 4 caps in WCQ at this point.  That said he absolutely have a place at 2nd tier/Camp Poutine type camps to better integrate in him into the program. 

To Lucas - great job! I'm glad you were able to demonstrate your skills to all us Voyageurs. I'm sure several of us will be following your career like many other Canadian athletes on this forum. 

To Voyageurs - Thank you for being welcoming to Lucas, good or bad, critique or obsession haha, he's certainly been thankful for the welcomed experience that both the CSA and the fans have made. He had a good laugh at the #freedias moment. 

I feel like I have to say this but no this post is not confirming or denying anything regarding his future. This is just an honest thank you to both player and fans. Whatever he chooses to do is up to him. 

7 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Does it matter? We could replace anyone just to make sure we get him cap tied. 

No  one with a lot of potential is going to commit prematurely just because we extend the invitation.  Basically, we are not going to trick him or trap him. we need to show him the quality of the players we will have in the program for the next 10 years.  

Edited by dyslexic nam