Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Sadly, he never got any minutes with the senior team, even after they had won the title.

Unless I am mistaken he hasn't played with the B team yet, just the U23 team. He may have to put time in at that level first.

My expectation is that he starts next season off with Sporting B and ends it with playing games for the first team.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JasonDias said:

He had a good time 😁. Everyone's pretty pumped. Been a good week of footy in the Dias' households haha. 

Ps. For all the forum posts that say I'm his uncle. No, I'm not his uncle, he's my cousin's kid. 

In Indian culture, that makes you his uncle. In European culture, I think that makes you his second cousin.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

What about in Canadian culture?

It’s whatever he and his family consider their connection to be.
I’m sure most of us have family members (or close friends) we refer to in different ways - some familial (e.g. auntie/uncle), some less so (e.g. dickhead). I’m also pretty sure many of us even have someone we refer to as both of those visiting this weekend! 😁

7 hours ago, nolando said:

Great article in Portuguese...links a video from when he first moved to Portugal.

https://tvi24.iol.pt/sporting/liga/aposta-de-ruben-amorim-lucas-dias-o-menino-que-nao-ve-os-pais-na-bancada

Also this translated Q&A:

Screenshot_20211008-231136_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1172acd73194069829b39244bb39d859.jpg

So he didn’t play any youth soccer here in Canada before he left for Portugal at 12 years old ? Just like any type of learning children are like sponges , the early years before even 12 years old are very critical in the learning process children can absorb so much in those years .  In terms of soccer those early years are when kids develop the skills and a lot of their technical abilities that they will need to excel in this sport. I’m assuming he played a lot of youth soccer here in Canada before he left for Portugal at 12 where he formed was able to develop a lot of his techniques and skills that he further developed in Portugal. So when his says he developed all his football in Portugal as a youth soccer coach for many years coaching kids from as young as 6 to 12 I know how critical those ages are for learning the skills and techniques that you will need in later years . 

Edited by SoccMan

9 hours ago, SoccMan said:

So he didn’t play any youth soccer here in Canada before he left for Portugal at 12 years old ? Just like any type of learning children are like sponges , the early years before even 12 years old are very critical in the learning process children can absorb so much in those years .  In terms of soccer those early years are when kids develop the skills and a lot of their technical abilities that they will need to excel in this sport. I’m assuming he played a lot of youth soccer here in Canada before he left for Portugal at 12 where he formed was able to develop a lot of his techniques and skills that he further developed in Portugal. So when his says he developed all his football in Portugal as a youth soccer coach for many years coaching kids from as young as 6 to 12 I know how critical those ages are for learning the skills and techniques that you will need in later years . 

That is fair enough, and you are clearly right. But if a kid feels their real quality or definitive training took place at a certain age with a certain coach, you can't argue with that. 

There is no question that by 12 you should be a good little player if you want to do more, if you are starting at 12 that is a bit late. My son who ended up playing competitive u-19 in Spain before quiting for his studies was a hot little player at 7 or 8, basically on the basis of playing every lunch hour and after school with friends and classmates (he was in a primary class with 25 boys and 5 girls and they were nuts). So no question, there was a ton of development there. Then he played futsal with his buddies at age 8-11 and they were good, quarter finalists out of literally hundreds of teams in the school leagues in metropolitan Barcelona. But it wasn't until grade 6 that a coach and former pro in a new club recruited him and he started playing 7 a side and then 11 competitively. 12 years old, he would literally walk up and down an entire field, back and forth juggling the ball and it never dropped, it only hit the ground when he got bored of keeping it up.

My son perhaps would not acknowledge his primary school play, this preteen training, as having any value, as he got serious and lived a competitive changing room culture from 12-13 on. So what I am saying is that you are totally correct, you cannot start at 12, or else it is very rare. At 12 you have tons of basic skills (dribble, pass, control, shot and finishing, some positioning) that you then take forward into competitive play, tactics, positional intelligence, team mentality, and of course all you put in physically (some kids are lazy and don't stretch and are unflexible, or don't go out running and never acquire speed, and they don't advance). There are rare cases of players who start at 16 and make pro (Dani Garcia, who played striker for both Barça and Madrid started like that, at 16). 

Where I think Canada has a chance is that Portugal is a very high level environment and making the NT is terribly hard. Where I think we have less a chance is our weak academy and youth programmes, which we have no consistency with, and have had little success with. We are seeing this with Flores now, and have with others, who prefer to go for a harder objective, a harder national team to play for, because at least they get the incentive of being called in to camps.

15 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Sounds like he is leaning towards them.  I suspect it is another case of waiting to see if the higher profile team comes knocking and if not we are a solid second option.   It would be unfortunate but it isn’t exactly unprecedented.   

That is why I try not to get too emotionally invested in their early success.  Made the first team?  Cool. But it is not something I really care about until I know he wants to play for us.  Because at the end of the day he could just be some other Portuguese  national that I really don’t care about.   Sorry if that sounds harsh, but right now I could care less about the good fortunes of guys like Tomori, Marmoush, etc.  

If Lucas decides to sign up to the exciting project that is Team Canada, I will cheer for him so hard it will wake my kids up.  But I will be reserving judgement until that happens.  

19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Sounds like he is leaning towards them.  I suspect it is another case of waiting to see if the higher profile team comes knocking and if not we are a solid second option.   It would be unfortunate but it isn’t exactly unprecedented.   

That is why I try not to get too emotionally invested in their early success.  Made the first team?  Cool. But it is not something I really care about until I know he wants to play for us.  Because at the end of the day he could just be some other Portuguese  national that I really don’t care about.   Sorry if that sounds harsh, but right now I could care less about the good fortunes of guys like Tomori, Marmoush, etc.  

If Lucas decides to sign up to the exciting project that is Team Canada, I will cheer for him so hard it will wake my kids up.  But I will be reserving judgement until that happens.  

Look I don’t want to be critical of the kid it takes a lot of courage to leave home at such a young age for the kid and especially the parents . Have to agree that moving to these soccer hotbeds probably gives a kid a bit of an advantage with the higher level coaching available and just being absorbed in a country that lives and breathes soccer 24 hours a day . But let’s not forget the Davies, Buchanan, Johnson , David and many many more who stayed in Canada and played all their youth soccer here in Canada that are doing very well and proving you don’t always need to leave Canada at a very young age to make it in this game , so we must be doing something right in the end .