Lucas Dias - Sporting CP

SpecialK

4 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

He doesn’t get enough love to be honest and he could end up being better than Flores.

What he needs is his relatives to start a big twitter war to drum up interest and force the hand of the countries involved.  You know like FLores or Mitrovic.........NOT!!!  I have a lot more respect for this kid and the way he is handling this.  I thought he did well with the u-23 for us, and if he is being a little cagey on where he wants to end up.....at least he isnt doing it out in the public forums eh??  

I agree with giving Dias props for recognizing our qualification and giving Flores shit for not doing that, but it should be said that dias is a Canadian youth international and Flores isn't, he's a Mexican youth international with a senior cap. On some level I feel like what do yoy expect from him.

Did Mitrovic give us props? Just curious. I don't follow him on social media.

46 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What he needs is his relatives to start a big twitter war to drum up interest and force the hand of the countries involved.  You know like FLores or Mitrovic.........NOT!!!  I have a lot more respect for this kid and the way he is handling this.  I thought he did well with the u-23 for us, and if he is being a little cagey on where he wants to end up.....at least he isnt doing it out in the public forums eh??  

Let’s not forget Dias was also with the B team, I know Flores got called but Dias isn’t far, had Juve watching him along with Portugal so it’s not like he’s someone to sneez at. 

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree with giving Dias props for recognizing our qualification and giving Flores shit for not doing that, but it should be said that dias is a Canadian youth international and Flores isn't, he's a Mexican youth international with a senior cap. On some level I feel like what do yoy expect from him.

This is spot on and I debated saying it after Flores posted.

As painful as it is to see a Canadian kid congratulate the Mexican Federation for qualifying for a World Cup and posting their group after the draw.  Let's be honest here, if Flores posted a congratulations to our Canadian program, he might as well pack his Mexican bags and start heading back to Canada.  He avoided a lot of headaches and controversy by only posting the federation he is currently involved with.  I don't remember Eustaquio ever posting about our Canadian program but he regularly posted about his Portugal U21 program when he was involved with them.

It doesn't sting any less to us die hard Canadian fans, just some perspective.

For what it's worth, it sounds like Dias probably doesn't have friends and family pulling the strings and controlling his interests behind the scenes like some other dual nationals.

Edited by Corazon

19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yes, dias congratulated us for qualifying, which is awesome and par the course for canadian youth internationals. My point was that flores is a mexican youth international and so I don't expect any public congratulations, especially when there's a tug of war for him. The mexican media would go ape shit if he posted what dias did. It basically would amount to supporting a rival. I think Corazon put it well. 

That said, progressing with mexico is clearly what flores wants (otherwise he wouldn't be doing it) so I don't mind canadians raking him over the coals :)

Edited by Obinna

45 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes, dias congratulated us for qualifying, which is awesome and par the course for canadian youth internationals. My point was that flores is a mexican youth international and so I don't expect any public congratulations, especially when there's a tug of war for him. The mexican media would go ape shit if he posted what dias did. It basically would amount to supporting a rival. I think Corazon put it well. 

That said, progressing with mexico is clearly what flores wants (otherwise he wouldn't be doing it) so I don't mind canadians raking him over the coals :)

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

You specifically asked if Dias gave us props so I was just pointing out that he did. 

Is there a tug of war for him? Or is it a bunch of Baloney the Dad cooked up to further his kids chances with Mexico??  Tweet that he wants to go to a Canada camp before he decides, what a crock.  I think the Dad played us like a fiddle and there was never any desire to play for Canada.  The kid can do what he wants good for him, the extra crap in social media irks me.   

Dominic originally said Dias doesnt get much love and might turn out to be better than Flores in the long run.   Flores dads media campaign is a good part of why we are talking about him.  There are other super long shot guys (Ferdi or even Jebbison) that dont get as much attention.  And guys like Dias that have actual real interest in canada and might be just as promising dont get near the amount of attention.    

Just now, Bison44 said:

Is there a tug of war for him? Or is it a bunch of Baloney the Dad cooked up to further his kids chances with Mexico??  Tweet that he wants to go to a Canada camp before he decides, what a crock.  I think the Dad played us like a fiddle and there was never any desire to play for Canada.  The kid can do what he wants good for him, the extra crap in social media irks me.   

Dominic originally said Dias doesnt get much love and might turn out to be better than Flores in the long run.   Flores dads media campaign is a good part of why we are talking about him.  There are other super long shot guys (Ferdi or even Jebbison) that dont get as much attention.  And guys like Dias that have actual real interest in canada and might be just as promising dont get near the amount of attention.    

This is silly - Herdman has talked a lot about Flores. He even made an amazing presentation (in his words) to Arsenal to convince Flores to play for us. Clearly he rates Flores very highly. The idea that the tug of war is entirely engineered by his father is nonsense.

And bTW, there is no tug of war for Dias. The situation is not comparable at all

You can keep saying its not comparable, but what Dominic said..was comparing that Flores (with a father who is a squeaky wheel) gets all the attention and Dias, who could be better in the long run (and has played for us) doesnt get much love from us. Which is still a valid point.  And with FLores leaking that the kids on the bench for Arsenal doesnt really make me believe he isnt in there mucking around in the kids business.  

And Herdman has said some stuff in the past that has been highly suspect..ie breaking up physical fights etc.   So he is saying he made a presentation to Arsenal to get them to get Flores to play for Canada???  Does that pass a smell test??  

46 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

You specifically asked if Dias gave us props so I was just pointing out that he did. 

I asked if Mitrovic did, not dias. It's right there in the post of mine you quoted. Am I missing something? At any rate it's all good.

43 minutes ago, Floortom said:

This is silly - Herdman has talked a lot about Flores. He even made an amazing presentation (in his words) to Arsenal to convince Flores to play for us. Clearly he rates Flores very highly. The idea that the tug of war is entirely engineered by his father is nonsense.

And bTW, there is no tug of war for Dias. The situation is not comparable at all

This. Unless @Bison44 is suggesting Flores' dad played Herdman as well.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

This. Unless @Bison44 is suggesting Flores' dad played Herdman as well.

Thats exactly what I think.....hood winking us rubes on the interweb is nothing to brag about.  If he tweets that stuff for public consumption, imagine what private messages has he sent to Herdman??  And who was it leaked that Herdman supposedly promised someone a WC spot if they commited to us??  Was that Pappa flores too??  

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

You can keep saying its not comparable, but what Dominic said..was comparing that Flores (with a father who is a squeaky wheel) gets all the attention and Dias, who could be better in the long run (and has played for us) doesnt get much love from us. Which is still a valid point.  And with FLores leaking that the kids on the bench for Arsenal doesnt really make me believe he isnt in there mucking around in the kids business.  

And Herdman has said some stuff in the past that has been highly suspect..ie breaking up physical fights etc.   So he is saying he made a presentation to Arsenal to get them to get Flores to play for Canada???  Does that pass a smell test??  

What you have been saying doesn't pass the smell test, if anything. Really though, what are you even suggesting? That Herdman never went to Arsenal to give that presentation? I recall reading an article that he gave the presentation to Per Mertesacker, who Flores was playing under at the Arsenal academy.

Maybe Per is in on it? 😀

Just now, Obinna said:

What you have been saying doesn't pass the smell test, if anything. Really though, what are you even suggesting? That Herdman never went to Arsenal to give that presentation? I recall reading an article that he gave the presentation to Per Mertesacker, who Flores was playing under at the Arsenal academy.

Maybe Per is in on it? 😀

Well then by definition it does pass the smell test. If thats in an article and other people can back it up etc sure.  I havnt read that, and I didnt think it was very common for national team coaches to try and get club coaches to sway duals for them.  If it is and I am uninformed/ignorant to this side of national team coaching, then I am a better man for having learned something today.  And if Per passed on the presentation, he is definitely in on it, at least as an accessory.  

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Thats exactly what I think.....hood winking us rubes on the interweb is nothing to brag about.  If he tweets that stuff for public consumption, imagine what private messages has he sent to Herdman??  And who was it leaked that Herdman supposedly promised someone a WC spot if they commited to us??  Was that Pappa flores too??  

I dunno. I don't see any evidence to support this conspircy theory that Marco and papa Flores conspired to finessed Herdman with some 4d chess, but hey if he/they are that wiley to fool even Herdman I am more impressed than pissed to tell you the truth lol. 

The truth is probably that Flores has/had some level of interest in playing for Canada, but Mexico was always his objective, so Herdman always had an uphill battle (Herdman always spoke about Flores in a lukewarm way if you ask me) but I can see how that can easily be spun into a victim narrative whereby Canada was taken advantage of. 

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

The truth is probably that Flores has/had some level of interest in playing for Canada, but Mexico was always his DADS objective, but I can see how that can easily be spun into a victim narrative whereby Canada was taken advantage of. 

Fixed your post.  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Fixed your post.  

Probably. I am sure the dad wants the son to rep his nation. 

I don't know what yout background is, but I have a multicultural background and so I can appreciate how what you truly want, what your parents want, pleasing your parents and having genuine pride in your heritage can all get blurred, so I hesitate to say it's as simple as doing what his dad wants him to do.

Well I'll just say this, since I turned about 17, my father didnt have 1 scintella of input into what I did with my career.  He didnt talk to my employers, call around and try to influence people to get me jobs etc.  Well I guess once he told me not to work offshore, because he thought it wasnt safe.  Other than that he kept his feelings to himself and let me live my own life.  And I didnt even have an agent looking out for me.  

And as far as background, who doesnt have a multicultural background?  I would be only FIFA eligible for 2 countries, so maybe I am a lightweight in that department.

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Well I'll just say this, since I turned about 17, my father didnt have 1 scintella of input into what I did with my career.  He didnt talk to my employers, call around and try to influence people to get me jobs etc.  Well I guess once he told me not to work offshore, because he thought it wasnt safe.  Other than that he kept his feelings to himself and let me live my own life.  And I didnt even have an agent looking out for me.  

And as far as background, who doesnt have a multicultural background?  I would be only FIFA eligible for 2 countries, so maybe I am a lightweight in that department.

I grew up with 2 first generation Canadian parents. Moms side is Dutch, Dads side is English. Both countries have HEAVY influence in my daily life. If I was ever good enough to have had a choice between representing one of those 3 countries, I would’ve chosen Canada without even a moment of doubt in my mind. And my parents would have been proud regardless. I guess everyone is different 🤷🏻‍♂️