Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

16 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I agree.  When you start calling guys who are not established as first team professional, thats a sign of desparation.  Just like in past when we would see callup with the words “unattached” in the column for club affiliation. Desparate MNT’s are MNT’s that are not good.  We no longer see “unattached” and rarely,if ever, see players from reserves of youth side.  Soon, we will be at the point where we wont see anymore Div2 types, that  will be sign that we are a good side.  

I generally agree, and in the context of the current dogfight WCQ process I don’t see an opportunity to give a spot on the bench (for capping aub minutes) to someone less than our best option.  

But on a more general level I would still take the chance for one or two strategic caps if a young prospect was willing to take the call under suitable circumstances.  Rewind a few months.  If a guy like Flores said he would come to a game against Cayman Islands, I would find the time to wedge him into the bench and get him on the field - perceptions be damned.   

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I generally agree, and in the context of the current dogfight WCQ process I don’t see an opportunity to give a spot on the bench (for capping aub minutes) to someone less than our best option.  

But on a more general level I would still take the chance for one or two strategic caps if a young prospect was willing to take the call under suitable circumstances.  Rewind a few months.  If a guy like Flores said he would come to a game against Cayman Islands, I would find the time to wedge him into the bench and get him on the field - perceptions be damned.   

Yes.  For cap-tying reason, i can certainly see why we should make a exception to the rule i stated.   I should have clarified. 

Edited by Free kick

10 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  For cap-tying reason, i can certainly see why we should make a exception to the rule i stated.   I should have clarified. 

Sounds good in theory, but we all know the rules have evolved. And cap-tying isn't what it was. 

Knowing that, I'm not with giving Tomori minutes to Flores, or Dias....knowing that there is guys who very well deserve those minutes. 

I thought we learned from Busti. 

@El Diego perfect timing.

Edited by Shway

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

Sounds good in theory, but we all know the rules have evolved. And cap-tying isn't what it was. 

Knowing that, I'm not with giving Tomori minutes to Flores, or Dias....knowing that there is guys who very well deserve those minutes. 

You can still start the process of on-boarding them, and making it so that it is more challenging to choose another option.  Plus for some it creates a 3 year window where they are locked in.  And as much as I dislike what England did to Tomori because he may not be a prominent player for them given their talent, I would still use that tool to build our player pool with respect to the brightest young prospects.  Because if they pan out and are solid European talents they will ultimately have a home in our team.  

So since Ugbo seems more like a prototypical number 9 who plays off defenders shoulders and David and Larin both more of a false 9, does that mean we see Ugbo and David starting, with Larin coming in for David? People seem to think David and Larin aren't perfectly suited as a strike partnership so I wonder if Ugbo walks straight in to the starting 11 as the solution to that problem, with David and Larin being the like-for-like.

11 minutes ago, frmr said:

So since Ugbo seems more like a prototypical number 9 who plays off defenders shoulders and David and Larin both more of a false 9, does that mean we see Ugbo and David starting, with Larin coming in for David? People seem to think David and Larin aren't perfectly suited as a strike partnership so I wonder if Ugbo walks straight in to the starting 11 as the solution to that problem, with David and Larin being the like-for-like.

Pretty interesting question. 

1 hour ago, frmr said:

That's how I see this playing out. I still think David and Larin will still get reps together, but long term I expect Ugbo with David/Larin more often than not (when we play a front 2, that is).

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Busti was a unique situation because even if he didn't make it at Juventus the assumption was he'd forge a pro career somewhere. But after he left, for some reason he and his agent decided 4th division  amateur Italy was the way to go.

Edit: Just checked and he's now in the sixth tier. Like my goodness man just come to the CPL or something, unless he's done with the pro career and is moving on to something else.

Edited by VinceA

1 hour ago, frmr said:

Yes, but doubt it happens this window. Herdman will want to integrate him first by giving  sub appearances.

Canada has played best in a 3-5-2 recently.

Although David and Larin don’t play perfectly together there will still be a fair bit of service for each of them.  

At this point Canada’s forward and winger situation is the best in CONCACAF.  It’s tough to get minutes here and I expect Ike will be coming off the bench.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I wouldn't be opposed to....

------------Ugbo-------------

Davies-----David-------Buchanan

-------Hutch----Eustaquio------

Ugbo, Davies and Buchanan stretching the field, with David picking the ball up in the pockets, like back in his Gent days...

That would be interesting to see. Not sure if we see that in these important matches but I would like to see that in Gold Cup or Nations League to see how it works.

6 minutes ago, frmr said:

That would be interesting to see. Not sure if we see that in these important matches but I would like to see that in Gold Cup or Nations League to see how it works.

For sure. If I were Herdman I wouldn't tinker too much with what's working, but as we know Herdman is the tinker-master, so I wouldn't rule it out either. 

Edit: Didn't we play that shape against Cayman Islands, except it was Larin in David's spot?

Edited by Obinna

44 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Busti was a unique situation because even if he didn't make it at Juventus the assumption was he'd forge a pro career somewhere. But after he left, for some reason he and his agent decided 4th division  amateur Italy was the way to go.

Edit: Just checked and he's now in the sixth tier. Like my goodness man just come to the CPL or something, unless he's done with the pro career and is moving on to something else.

He did have interest from clubs outside of Italy (not just Toronto).  There was also interest from a 2nd tier club in Italy and for whatever reason it just did not work out for him and he ended up in the 4th tier.  

Edited by Buchta

1 hour ago, nolando said:

This guy needs his own chant. Maybe a version of Oggy  oggy, oggy?

IKE - UGBO -IKE- UGBO -IKE -UGBO OI OI OI...

On 11/4/2021 at 12:50 PM, ted said:

Talking 'bout Ike (Ike), Ike (Ike)
Ike, Ike will play
Herdman called and he did say,
Ike, Ike will play

To the tune of Iko Iko: 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I wouldn't be opposed to....

------------Ugbo-------------

Davies-----David-------Buchanan

-------Hutch----Eustaquio------

Ugbo, Davies and Buchanan stretching the field, with David picking the ball up in the pockets, like back in his Gent days...

I think this is the way to get David and Davies clicking a little better. With Ugbo holding up the ball and Davies and Buchanan running in behind David will be able to make his intelligent late runs for the cut back passes that Davies is extremely good at.

5 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Admittedly I haven’t paid much attention to the Belgian league since David left for Lille, but what the heck is going on there?

Union St. Gilloise (who?) in 1st, Anderlecht 7th, Genk 8th, Gent 10th, Standard Liege 13th.

Union SG is an interesting story brewing I believe they are newly promoted.