Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

Read this story from Wednesday yesterday, the fan groups, and notably  a female Sheffield Wednesday fan group, protested the possible signing of a guy charged with assaulting his partner. The coach (or owner perhaps), who was keen on the guy, out of contract, ended up saying that taking all factors into consideration they were not going to go for him.

Apparently they do feel they could upgrade their CBs, but a guy is coming back from injury and they'll go with him.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/06/sheffield-wednesday-end-nico-schulz-interest-after-pressure-from-female-fans

I don't want to exaggerate or anything, Wednesday fans seem to be involved in a lot of violent incidents and are not the best examples out there. But it is probably good, when you are trying to make a run to save a season and a category, to keep everyone rowing in the same direction.

On 3/7/2024 at 3:13 PM, Obinna said:

For a second I was wondering if Ugbo was the one who assaulted his partner....

Never my intention, just a story about how they're trying to save the category and they got blocked by fans on a signing they apparently could use. They need goals (Ugbo) and a more reliable back line.

I like it though when fans are passionate and engaged.

• 1 month later...

Big game for them today. Wednesday playing Stoke at home.

Can overtake draw level on points with them (goal difference is much worse) in the relegation battle with a win. 

Dominant so far but nothing to show. 

Edit: Scenes as they score and are out of the relegation zone for now.

Edit: Stoke draw level back in. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Watched the second half. It was one of his 'hard to notice that Ugbo is playing in the game' game.

Then with about 10 minutes left, he could of won the game for SW. The defender just got a header on it before Ugbo could head it into the empty net.

Game ended tied and SW really needed this win against a team just ahead of them in the relegation battle

Edited by blueseeka

• 2 weeks later...

Sheffield Wednesday have been struggling to get above relegation for months, and with this win stay 3 points out with a game left, next Saturday. So a huge victory for them.

I believe the tie-breaker is goal difference, and they are at a disadvantage as the table dyslexic posted above shows. 

They are away to Sunderland who have nothing to play for. 

Plymouth host Hull City who need a win to get into the promotion playoff. 

Birmingham City host Norwich who are in the playoff but could be in a better seed.

A Wednesday loss together with a Birmingham City and a Plymouth win, puts the first two even on points and Wednesday relegate. If Plymouth don't win it won't matter. They need a draw to breathe easy.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

In other possible Ike Ubgo news, his contract is still with Troyes, and after relegating last season, they are in relegation out of 2nd tier with a few games left. So that would suggest they'd loan him again, they can't pay for him in 2nd or third tier France.

I imagine that if Wednesday are saved they'll ask for him back.

The case of Troyes, a City Group team, proves it is not just automatic you'll do well because you have that money behind you. Girona looks like they'll be in Champions League in a tiny stadium, another City Group team, and with Troyes players like Savinho, and Troyes has been a mess.

This would be his second team he saves from relegation, no? I remember that season he went to Troyes they were either in the relegation zone or just above it before he came in, no? Would imagine Wednesday do what they can to keep him- similar situation to Liam Millar and PNE. Out of left field, but if they are relegated, I wonder if Wrexham could throw enough money at him to get him to drop down a level. They have a habit of getting strikers to drop down a level and score insane numbers. Probably not of interest to him, but based on their signings of Mullins and Palmer, Ugbo fits the profile of who they'd go after to a T.