Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ike_Ugbo

Listed as Canadian by Canucksabroad and is currently tearing it up in the Dutch 2nd division with Roda JC (on loan from Chelsea).  

I know it has been questioned whether he is Canadian or just lived here.

In this article: https://www.limburger.nl/cnt/dmf20190926_00124766/ike-ugbo-spits-van-roda-wil-via-kerkrade-naar-stamford-bridge

"Iké Ugbo, hoop in bange dagen bij Roda JC, is kind van een Nigeriaanse vader en een Franse moeder. Voetballen leerde hij in Canada en in de jeugdopleiding van Chelsea FC. Nu hoopt hij via Maastricht en Kerkrade te slagen in het profvoetbal."

Google translates to:

Iké Ugbo, hope in frightened days at Roda JC, is the child of a Nigerian father and a French mother. He learned to play football in Canada and in the Chelsea FC youth academy. Now he hopes to succeed in professional football through Maastricht and Kerkrade.

Would be interesting to get the real story here because we would need to act quickly as it seems Nigeria are sniffing.

240/5000

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/1441969-strikers-score-big-to-win-disney-tournament-meet-mickey-mouse/

The most spurious of links. Maybe played for Woodbridge strikers 98 east boys team. Would probably have to ask someone there how long he was living in canada. 

Nigeria want him though and have been pushing hard according to various articles before christmas. He has also played for England youth teams. Even if he did qualify for us our chances are pretty slim. 

Seems to be tearing it up indeed though. 

Wow I closely follow Roda and I didn't even know that. They are having a horror season, fortunately there's no relegation this year. Ugbo is one of the highlights this season, he's been playing all games. 

Btw I don't think there's a danger that he lines up for either England or Nigeria anytime soon, considering he's playing at the bottom of the Dutch Keukenkampioen Divisie. If I remember correctly he signed a contract and isn't on a loan. Kid has a long way to go.

EDIT: It IS a loan (I stand corrected). 

Edited by shamrock

• 4 months later...
On 2/19/2020 at 10:26 PM, toontownman said:

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/1441969-strikers-score-big-to-win-disney-tournament-meet-mickey-mouse/

The most spurious of links. Maybe played for Woodbridge strikers 98 east boys team. Would probably have to ask someone there how long he was living in canada. 

Nigeria want him though and have been pushing hard according to various articles before christmas. He has also played for England youth teams. Even if he did qualify for us our chances are pretty slim. 

Seems to be tearing it up indeed though. 

Yeah you may as well give up because it is between Nigeria and England

24 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah you may as well give up because it is between Nigeria and England

Come on man!   What a ridiculous comment.   We’ve just been talking how Davies and David are going to attract a lot of young players.  Who’s to say that these guys won’t entice him to play for us or the whole World Cup happening in Canada.  

Edited by Weng

13 minutes ago, Weng said:

Come on man!   What a ridiculous comment.   We’ve just been talking how Davies and David are going to attract a lot of young players.  Who’s to say that these guys won’t entice him to play for us or the whole World Cup happening in Canada.  

They could but do you really think he is going to pass Nigeria up when they have been a consistent World Cup nation, a perennial African team with a rich World Cup history to play for Canada? Let's be realistic here. Not to mention if he also qualifies for England, then really look at England's talent and compare it to that of Canada. Need I say more?

5 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

They could but do you really think he is going to pass Nigeria up when they have been a consistent World Cup nation, a perennial African team with a rich World Cup history to play for Canada? Let's be realistic here. Not to mention if he also qualifies for England, then really look at England's talent and compare it to that of Canada. Need I say more?

I really think you say this exact same thing everytime a dual national is discussed 

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Is there a chance he joins Canada?  Yes!   Absolutely!!   We have a lot going for us right now.  You talk about the talent being far greater on Nigeria and Canada, but maybe he sees that he’ll have a better chance of making our squad.  Maybe he won’t be good enough to make any of the squads.  I just think it’s ridiculous to say we shouldn’t try 

• 4 weeks later...

He indeed played for the Woodbridge Strikers East 98 team along with my son when they were 10 years old. Before that, he played for Brampton East. His parents moved back to the UK when he was eleven and his father got him a trial with Chelsea Academy. To be honest, he wasn’t a bad player. His speed was his strength. 

• 5 months later...

for what it's worth, only two flags in his IG bio - Nigeria and England. 

also, based on this article, I doubt Ike was here long enough in the 00s to qualify for PR/citizenship. as for parents, his father is Nigerian and his mother is French - so likely a dead end there as well.

Edited by bfque8

• 7 months later...

On 1/4/2021 at 7:45 PM, toontownman said:

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=37106

Moved over to Canada when he was young (nothing I can find on what age that was). Returned to England at the age of 9. 

Plausible but highly unlikely imo.

Weird update but remembered this name and did a bit of digging. According to this video, he started soccer in Canada at 4 or 5, so he was likely here for just about 5 years but might be cutting it close.

Today he completed a £6 million transfer to Genk.

Edited by Pottsy3