Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

16 minutes ago, El Diego said:

🙃🙃🙃

(To be clear, nothing against you @Strait Red, but clearly have to wonder how Nef and Galindo thought they could make such a definitive statement less than 3 months ago)

All good man. I’m glad he’s eligible for us.

fwiw, Galindo tweeted an apology to me about getting it wrong. His info was that Ike didn’t live here for 5 years and didn’t have citizenship. 

'I Have Just Been There Ever Since' - Ike Ugbo Reveals How He Ended Up At Chelsea:: All Nigeria Soccer - The Complete Nigerian Football Portal

"I am Ike Ugbo, I am new player of Cercle Brugge. I was born in South London, Lewisham. When I moved over to Canada when I was young,  I started playing football more seriously, I was about four or five," Ugbo told Cercle Brugge official Twitter account.

"When I came back to England when I was about nine, I started taking football serious in Sunday League, and then I got scouted by Chelsea and I have just been there ever since."

Edited by canuckgbp

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I like Ike.

I wonder if there's a Nixon out there eligible to play for Canada, since between Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnston, that's three US presidents in a row. And of course we've already had Ragan play for us. I draw the line in the sand at Evan Bus(c)h though.

Btw if you were doing the rhyme thing, It's actually pronounced E-Kay.

Edited by Obinna

24 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I hope so but then there is the case of Cordova. How was he ever eligible? No one can answer that.

His dad is a Canadian citizen who was born in Chile and lived in Canada.

"Uní has ties with the North American country on his father's side. “The whole family from my dad, grandparents, cousins live there. For that reason I can have Canadian nationality, I have gone twice, I did an English course, they taught me at school, I handle English well ”. (google translate)

https://www.primerabchile.cl/union-san-felipe/volante-de-san-felipe-tras-llamado-dea-la-seleccion-u23-de-canada-es-un-plus-extra-para-mi-y-para-el-club/

3 minutes ago, Buchta said:

His dad is a Canadian citizen who was born in Chile and lived in Canada.

"Uní has ties with the North American country on his father's side. “The whole family from my dad, grandparents, cousins live there. For that reason I can have Canadian nationality, I have gone twice, I did an English course, they taught me at school, I handle English well ”. (google translate)

https://www.primerabchile.cl/union-san-felipe/volante-de-san-felipe-tras-llamado-dea-la-seleccion-u23-de-canada-es-un-plus-extra-para-mi-y-para-el-club/

That doesn't make him eligible. His dad would have to be born here.

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That doesn't make him eligible. His dad would have to be born here.

From reading this it would appear he is eligible: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_nationality_law

specifically: “Children born overseas are Canadian citizens by descent if either parent is a citizen by birth or naturalization in Canada.[9] Citizenship by descent is limited to only one generation born outside of the country,[10] other than children or grandchildren of members of the Canadian Armed Forces.[11]